Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 6:45 am

ShogunSalute wrote:

Quote:
from what i've heard it is IMPOSSIBLE for people with autism or AS to not suffer from anxiety, yet someone in this very thread has claimed it to be true. anyone with any knowledge would know right away that it makes no sense. any level of autism creates anxiety.

Where exactly did you "hear" that it was impossible for people with autism not to suffer from anxiety? FYI, there are several others on this board who state that they suffer no anxiety (at least two diagnosed with autism) and your erroneous assertion is invalidating their reality. If your FACTS didn't spring from in your imagination, please share their origin.

Quote:
to be free of anxiety is to be free of autism. that is fact.

If you had any exposure at all to lower functioning autists, or even some "little professor" type AS children, you would know that this is absurd. If you can't observe them in person, check out some videos of LFA children and tell us that they appear to suffer from anxiety!

Quote:
and it is people like this who claim to be exceptions to the FACTS that i wish to escape.

You wish to shun certain people based on false criteria you have cooked up and call facts. Perhaps some day, in your school or workplace, someone will decide to shun you based on their perceptions of you, and the shoe will be on the other foot. Actually, your attitude seems more NT-like than truly autistic.

By the way, regarding diagnoses of older members, you need to understand that AS didn't officially exist until 1994. At the time and place I went to school there were no diagnoses at all of any kind. There wasn't a single psychologist with the school board or in the district, and kids with problems just repeated grades as necessary, some numerous times, and left school at the minimum legal age. I was a persistent and obvious autistic flapper throughout primary school, which troubled teachers and attracted great attention from the whole school. If I were starting school now, I would be sent for evaluation within weeks.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 6:53 am

wildgrape wrote:
You wish to shun certain people based on false criteria you have cooked up and call facts. Perhaps some day, in your school or workplace, someone will decide to shun you based on their perceptions of you, and the shoe will be on the other foot.

No podiatrist in their right mind would diagnose him with AS. :lol:

Sounds like he already has been shunned (no to mention had) by several in this thread.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:04 am

Okey Dokey then,

Here is a solution for you.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:15 am

DaWalker wrote:

Home of da Free(?) forum topic

It costs nothing if you Buy Now. :P

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ShogunSalute
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Sep 2009, 7:28 am

about the anxiety autism thing. if you know how to do a google search you will be able to find out that this is true for yourself. here is just one of many links that shows what i mean: http://ezinearticles.com/?Autism-Anxiet ... &id=369821
about the podiatrist thing. i just don't buy into gait alone being a way to diagnose a condition of the brain.
i am not really worried about being shunned by people here and i'm not afraid of anyone. my entire intentions are in my first post.
people say i sound like an NT but i think the way alot of you have reacted is alot more NT. getting defensive..sarcastic...very typical responses. this isn't about snobbery at all either. someone said something about me maybe feeling anxiety towards some people or their opinions, that was partly right. i am worried about disingenuous people interacting with me. i just want to be sure of who i am talking to. oh and about my diagnosis. i have been diagnosed. originally as HFA but then upgraded to aspergers. i know alot about the disorder including its history, i have read 1000s of pages of information...in an effort to try and understand myself better. i grew up around many other autistic children because of the program i was in. i still know quite a few who are adults. my autistic friends range from LFA to AS. i do not need to watch any videos. i don't really want to start my own forum, just find one where i can be sure of who i am communicating with, i thought here could be a good place because it is so well populated. but i suppose now.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 7:42 am

Put me on the list of self-diagnosed Aspies without anxiety issues. :wink:

Also, but my professionally Autism-diagnosed daughter on the same list...

24shaz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2009, 8:29 am

I suffer from anxiety but would suggest that my son, who is low functioning, does not. He's a very happy boy.

I don't think it follows that Autism = anxiety any more than NT = calm.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 10:40 am

ShogunSalute wrote:

Quote:
i thought here could be a good place because it is so well populated

Because this board is so well-populated there are many different types of AS and autism represented including, I am sure, some whose condition is similar to yours.

Many of us probably come here with a notion that there will be mostly/many people similar to us and find that is not the case. If you are interested in learning about others with AS/autism, though, it is an interesting place. I have been repeatedly surprised and have learned an enormous amount. For instance, I learned that many AS folks have a strong desire to fit in and have friends, but I don't need or even want a friend. Does that make me non-autistic, too?

I suggest that you stick around and try to be tolerant of those different from you. When you identify members with conditions and interests similar to yours you might try communicating with them via PM.

By the way, the page you cited made no reference whatsoever to ALL autistic people suffering from anxiety.

Cheers

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:47 am

ShogunSalute wrote:
about the anxiety autism thing. if you know how to do a google search you will be able to find out that this is true for yourself. here is just one of many links that shows what i mean: http://ezinearticles.com/?Autism-Anxiet ... &id=369821

It seems that you are falling into the trap that everyone with AS has the symptoms you do. You also appear to have drawn the line at a professional diagnosis, when in fact many of the people here who have a professional diagnosis will not be what you are expecting at all.

ShogunSalute wrote:
about the podiatrist thing. i just don't buy into gait alone being a way to diagnose a condition of the brain.

You've been had. It's unfortunate because you were not part of the thread where this became a joke. Normally people refrain from doing this here, but your original post was so abrasive and insulting to many here, I think some people's restraint just went out the window. I don't think you meant it that way, but that's how it was perceived.

ShogunSalute wrote:
i am not really worried about being shunned by people here and i'm not afraid of anyone. my entire intentions are in my first post.

You are very much not going to find that here. Seriously, start your own forum if that's what you really want. Good luck getting it going.

ShogunSalute wrote:
people say i sound like an NT but i think the way alot of you have reacted is alot more NT. getting defensive..sarcastic...very typical responses.

And I suppose that you believe that people with AS are incapable of being sarcastic, too? :roll: Let's stop arguing about what qualifies as an NT response. I know that you weren't the first to bring this up, but this is becoming tit-for-tat.

ShogunSalute wrote:
this isn't about snobbery at all either. someone said something about me maybe feeling anxiety towards some people or their opinions, that was partly right. i am worried about disingenuous people interacting with me.

I don't understand how people who honestly believe that they have AS and have self-diagnosed are disingenuous. Being disingenuous implies that you are hiding something. You will find many people (on and off the spectrum) who are disingenuous.

It seems you have created an artificial boundary of logic, one where you feel secure inside of a diagnosis, and anything outside of that is threatening. We all create our boundaries, so I understand. Just don't expect us to agree with you, or expect many to fall within your boundaries.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:00 am

ShogunSalute, the irony is, you are disagreeing with people who self diagnose and they are taking offense to it, however, some of them want to post certain others have a personality disorder and not AS, or that AS is not an actual ASD.
Some people have a diagnosis and still criticise people who doubt the self diagnosed, yet, they will say the same thing "so and so doesn't have AS, it's NPD or APD or is a sociopath. This isn't AS, that isn't AS."

The question I have for everyone doing that: Isn't someone doubting your self diagnosis the same as you doubting their diagnosis, whether it be professional or self? What's the difference between the two. I have read plenty of posts about narissicism and antisocial personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder or, my favorite: there must be a comorbid.

If you do not like others negating your self diagnosis, why do you choose to conject about the diagnosis of others?

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 11:54 am

I can see where ShogunSalute is coming from. I have noticed people here who seem to have hangups and problems that to me don't appear to be spectrum. I have found that being spectrum isn't a cool thing to be. I just shrug off those comments cause as others have said, there is no way to police.

Interesting thing is I never would have diagnosed myself. My sister got curious about my behavior and did research. I was annoyed with her at first.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm

Like so many others have stated, you are so welcome to stay around here and get along. However if your only purpose is to fulfill your own insane version of a holocaust, your motives and your welcome will inevitably be mute. Many of us have experienced such demands on an individual basis with devastating results, fortunately as a group, it is less likely to happen as this thread has already shown. So many differences exist in human form here, which ones are to be segregated next, all but the ones who wear your size, type and favorite color of shoe?

This place to me is about being a part of, not being apart from. I have found it possible to agree with the next generation, which is well within any definition of a miracle. I have found people from all corners of the globe that have been where I am and some that are well on their way. I have seen diversity itself shunned and principles of decency applied in it's very place. There is nowhere on this planet that the rich and poor, young and old, novice and professional, death and blind and paraplegic and so on, and so on can get along in a civilized manner. Regardless of these differences, the humility of equality is very much alive and well, like it or not.

Every single person here has at one time made a mistake or two, even within the amount of time you have been posting here, you have made 100% contradictory remarks, nobody is claiming to be perfect, nobody is attacking you personally. If you are looking for solutions, you will find them, if you are looking for problems, you will find them also. Thing is, most people are looking for similarities, not differences. The differences are overwhelming enough when the screen goes as blank as some us do, when the front door is opened.

Again, so many have welcomed you by replying at all, (aspies know about ignoring and being ignored - look That up), and some even went out of their way to emphasize your welcome. We do know that it is impossible to tailor the world to fit our needs. We also know that we can learn and practice things here before going into that world. Within all the differences mentioned above, some are aspie and some are NT, some are diagnosed, some are self-diagnosed, some are not diagnosed at all, just like in the real world. Why play make believe with a human life.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:38 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ShogunSalute, the irony is, you are disagreeing with people who self diagnose and they are taking offense to it, however, some of them want to post certain others have a personality disorder and not AS, or that AS is not an actual ASD.
Some people have a diagnosis and still criticise people who doubt the self diagnosed, yet, they will say the same thing "so and so doesn't have AS, it's NPD or APD or is a sociopath. This isn't AS, that isn't AS."

The question I have for everyone doing that: Isn't someone doubting your self diagnosis the same as you doubting their diagnosis, whether it be professional or self? What's the difference between the two. I have read plenty of posts about narissicism and antisocial personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder or, my favorite: there must be a comorbid.

If you do not like others negating your self diagnosis, why do you choose to conject about the diagnosis of others?

Exactly. Very well put.

I am here to share my life experiences with others and learn about myself. Where the "spectrum line" really is, at least for me, is completely irrelevant. We put way too much stock into attempting to have a clear-cut line. Even with professionals making diagnoses there is still no clear-cut line.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:49 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
wildgrape wrote:
You wish to shun certain people based on false criteria you have cooked up and call facts. Perhaps some day, in your school or workplace, someone will decide to shun you based on their perceptions of you, and the shoe will be on the other foot.

No podiatrist in their right mind would diagnose him with AS. :lol:

Sounds like he already has been shunned (no to mention had) by several in this thread.

I would hope a podiatrist wouldn't diagnose someone with an ASD. They'd be focusing on the wrong end of the body. :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:55 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Exactly. Very well put.

I am here to share my life experiences with others and learn about myself. Where the "spectrum line" really is, at least for me, is completely irrelevant. We put way too much stock into attempting to have a clear-cut line. Even with professionals making diagnoses there is still no clear-cut line.

IMO, things would go smoother on WP if there was less judgment toward the part of AS that causes the problems, like, anxiety. If someone with AS mentions anxiety, people think it's not a part of AS, it's a "cormorbid". It's the same with social reciprocity. Many with autism have problems to varying degrees with it. It's not "social phobia", it's a part of being on the spectrum. People are confusing certain autistic traits with narcissism, schizoid personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, among others. Certain traits might overlap, but aren't exclusive. Sometimes, on WP, I get the feeling some believe everything besides sensory intergration issues or literal thinking must be a comorbid or something else besides AS, and that to have AS and not HFA, you must want to be social and like talking to people and trying to make friends (even if you aren't good at it). If you don't want to be social and have anxiety, it's a comorbid. or it's HFA. If you tend to be self absorbed, it's narcissism, not AS. I disagree with that. I think it's all AS and AS is a part of the autistic spectrum. People with AS manifest autism in a certain way and it varies throughout their lives. It's a continuum, like others have posted before.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 12:59 pm

Since when has autism been 'cool'? No one at my school thought so apparently...