Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 11:15 pm

LabPet wrote:
Precisely. And perhaps the the most not-understandable part of Neurotypicals. Although I do like/love many NTs, admittedly, they can be tricky in this way. I believe what you've so aptly described is cognitive dissonance.

No offense NTs (really!) but your psychology can be wickedly painful to those of us (Autists) who just plain don't get it. In certain ways, this is a reason I like being Autistic.

Autists are quite unidirectional: y = m x + b

NTs can be....... X ^2 + Y ^2 = 1
...and they don't tell you where that inflection point is and they sure don't do the math. If only they came equipped with mood rings or other quantifiable signal. But no.
Great algebra analogy, LOL! :D

It drives me crazy. I would like people to mean what they say, I simply don't get subtle insinuations and similar things.

BTW, good to see you again, LabPet! *Gives virtual hug* :D

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 11:35 pm

LabPet wrote:
TheSpecialKid wrote:
I don't think it's only NTs... I do it too, I hate when other people don't say their things directly, and I'm very much into problem solving, however I don't go to straight to my parents and say: "Hey I think i have AS."

I'm actually in pain, by not being able to tell them. Therefore I gave them clues, and either they understood it, or else they found out though my cousin.

I think I'd be leery too! Because you just cannot know how they'll take that information that is directly conveyed. Communication is hard and there's just no right way. One of our triads of impairment: Communication. And Aspies can be honest to a fault. The dichotomy is that it's one of our best traits too! And why I admire other Autists/AS; our direct honest approach.
(...even if that means tellling her that she does in fact look fat in that skirt) 8O

My staff Stephanie likes to gives me a bad time about my honesty and thinks it's "cute". :lol:

BMH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2009, 12:57 am

timeisdead wrote:
It seems they tend to give you a vague feeling that you're doing something wrong but never come out and say exactly what it is until their breaking point. Until then they always use false politeness.

They do it for many different reasons. Your question is way too vague.
If they are really afraid (which is not necessarily the case) it means they perceive you as dangerous.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 1:25 am

yes, now that I know I am autistic I understand why they smile at me when I get on an elevator to be reassured by my smile that I am not going to carve out their gizzard between the 3 and 5th floor.

and it is interesting that time is dead mentioned "false politeness".
I thought all politeness was false in that it is used in lieu of honest conversation to let people know they don't want to deal with social situations any other way.

BoringAaron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2009, 2:36 am

Subtlety can sometimes be used to prevent embarrassment. I don't give corrections directly to people unless we're alone and nobody else can hear. People can usually take correction when nobody else is around to see their fail, and I also make it sound encouraging and productive. But I have to be extra careful with what I say, because I apparently sound sarcastic to some people. I don't know how not to, it's just the way I talk or something. Sarcasm is another thing that annoys me, nobody needs to be made to feel stupid (or more stupid than they already are, in case they happen to be stupid.)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 12:09 pm

Irisrises wrote:
Irisrises is on board.

I only have two experiences of this problem, with my childhood family as an adult and with Lotloi (=LOngTerm LOve Interest) because with other people I am frankly not trying to tell them much usually, just trying to go along or get away. But with family it has caused a lot of problems because before I self-diagnosed I didn't understand that they didn't understand the same things I did, it was incomprehensible to me that things that were obvious to me were not also obvious to them, and likewise, that things that were difficult for me were not also difficult for them. I've learnt that my thinking is different but I haven't yet learnt how to say things in a way that gets taken seriously, although that's also to do with family dynamics unrelated to autism. But I don't speak to them much right now.

Lotloi is a bit different because he doesn't actually have much of a problem with directness, he just doesn't really pay much attention unless I really throw a fit which I don't like to do. He's a bit like a sieve, everything passes through him, including my carefully worded protests, invitations and goodwill gestures, which I always assume he will not only retain but treasure...no such luck. What to do. It's true what Sartresue said about losing face, he thinks he's losing face if he listens to me just like I guess he thinks it's an act of submission that I listen to him and comply with what he wants - but how else can people move forward together? I don't fight, I don't need to be fought. I admire him in so many ways and I don't want that to be a source of humiliation for me. That's not right.

But I don't make myself clear even when I think I have. And I'm not coy or flirtatious enough, women do that to inform men of their intentions. I think everything should be straight-forward - we'll meet at this time at this place, it's easy, you tell me, I tell you - but I guess he thinks that's boring, he likes to banter, and that's a lot of work for me.

It's love, no? I'll do this, not for you, but with you. But you've got to do it with me, too.

But I'm in this foreign city at the moment, for another week, and it's built around a sacred mountain which I didn't know before I got here but those mountains are everywhere so I'm not surprised. (What makes them sacred is that people used them for spiritual focus for millennia before the modern era although few of them are currently in use.) So this mountain, when I got here it invited me to share its alignment while I'm here. There have been two explicit instructions, both saying the same thing: one was when I went to a yoga class and the teacher said to me "notice that wobbliness in your knees? Hang out in that wobbly place" and the other one was a dance performance by a dancer/choreographer who'd lost a leg in an accident and he was dancing and talking and the show was about "don't try to find and show off your equilibrium, explore the possibilities in your lack of equilibrium". Always falling, always going on.

That may not sound very clear to everybody, me talking to mountains and so on, but it's the world I live in. :lol:

Going with the flowing stream of consciousness topic

NTs would do well taking yoga and investigating mysticism--this might take away their fear of directness/honesty.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 1:21 pm

BMH wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
It seems they tend to give you a vague feeling that you're doing something wrong but never come out and say exactly what it is until their breaking point. Until then they always use false politeness.

They do it for many different reasons. Your question is way too vague.
If they are really afraid (which is not necessarily the case) it means they perceive you as dangerous.

I mean, if they have a problem with the way you are handling things, why do they wait until the very last minute to explicitly tell you what you are doing wrong? In the mean time, they have vague ways of making you feel uncomfortable trying to make you take the hint without mentioning anything specific. Yeah, I know you're pissed but WHY is the question of the day. When they tell you at the last minute, they basically say shape up completely within this little time period or else. Instead, they should go to you in the beginning, offer concrete suggestions, and allow you some time to improve everything. Some may say it's to avoid hurt feelings but do they really care about a person's feelings if they make it almost impossible for the person to meet their standards and unfairly judge them on not making them on time when they themselves weren't direct about their expectations from the get go and thus didn't allow that person time to change? They seem to think that if you don't get their expectations without being explicitly told, you're a hopeless case.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 11:33 am

sartresue wrote:
Irisrises wrote:
Irisrises is on board.

I only have two experiences of this problem, with my childhood family as an adult and with Lotloi (=LOngTerm LOve Interest) because with other people I am frankly not trying to tell them much usually, just trying to go along or get away. But with family it has caused a lot of problems because before I self-diagnosed I didn't understand that they didn't understand the same things I did, it was incomprehensible to me that things that were obvious to me were not also obvious to them, and likewise, that things that were difficult for me were not also difficult for them. I've learnt that my thinking is different but I haven't yet learnt how to say things in a way that gets taken seriously, although that's also to do with family dynamics unrelated to autism. But I don't speak to them much right now.

Lotloi is a bit different because he doesn't actually have much of a problem with directness, he just doesn't really pay much attention unless I really throw a fit which I don't like to do. He's a bit like a sieve, everything passes through him, including my carefully worded protests, invitations and goodwill gestures, which I always assume he will not only retain but treasure...no such luck. What to do. It's true what Sartresue said about losing face, he thinks he's losing face if he listens to me just like I guess he thinks it's an act of submission that I listen to him and comply with what he wants - but how else can people move forward together? I don't fight, I don't need to be fought. I admire him in so many ways and I don't want that to be a source of humiliation for me. That's not right.

But I don't make myself clear even when I think I have. And I'm not coy or flirtatious enough, women do that to inform men of their intentions. I think everything should be straight-forward - we'll meet at this time at this place, it's easy, you tell me, I tell you - but I guess he thinks that's boring, he likes to banter, and that's a lot of work for me.

It's love, no? I'll do this, not for you, but with you. But you've got to do it with me, too.

But I'm in this foreign city at the moment, for another week, and it's built around a sacred mountain which I didn't know before I got here but those mountains are everywhere so I'm not surprised. (What makes them sacred is that people used them for spiritual focus for millennia before the modern era although few of them are currently in use.) So this mountain, when I got here it invited me to share its alignment while I'm here. There have been two explicit instructions, both saying the same thing: one was when I went to a yoga class and the teacher said to me "notice that wobbliness in your knees? Hang out in that wobbly place" and the other one was a dance performance by a dancer/choreographer who'd lost a leg in an accident and he was dancing and talking and the show was about "don't try to find and show off your equilibrium, explore the possibilities in your lack of equilibrium". Always falling, always going on.

That may not sound very clear to everybody, me talking to mountains and so on, but it's the world I live in. :lol:

NTs would do well taking yoga and investigating mysticism--this might take away their fear of directness/honesty.

If yoga and mysticism had any effect on directness or honesty, the cultures where such things originated would be the most direct and honest. But are they? I haven't seen any evidence that this is so. If anything, mysticism is the absolute opposite of directness.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 12:40 pm

Janissy wrote:
sartresue wrote:
Irisrises wrote:
Irisrises is on board.

If yoga and mysticism had any effect on directness or honesty, the cultures where such things originated would be the most direct and honest. But are they? I haven't seen any evidence that this is so. If anything, mysticism is the absolute opposite of directness.

Confrontation topic

When people lose themselves in yoga (at least in the classes I have been in) afterward they tend to say how connected they feel and they lose that sense of needing to keep face/control and become (at least for a time) more open and direct. Must be the endorphins, but alas, it is temporary, and then they go back to being more of their NT-ish selves. :(

PaganMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2009, 12:44 pm

[quote="Janissy
If yoga and mysticism had any effect on directness or honesty, the cultures where such things originated would be the most direct and honest. But are they? I haven't seen any evidence that this is so. If anything, mysticism is the absolute opposite of directness.[/quote]

I used to work at a health food store/restaurant ran by a married couple who had converted to Sihk in the late 60s. They were way into all that and the wife taught yoga classes and he taught meditation classes.

They were the most greedy, two faced, shallow, lying people I've ever met.

PaganMom

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:13 pm

Quote:
I used to work at a health food store/restaurant ran by a married couple who had converted to Sihk in the late 60s. They were way into all that and the wife taught yoga classes and he taught meditation classes.

PaganMom

Using the force for evil topic

Nasty. (I guess this is not the way to change the world.)

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2009, 12:42 pm

Quote:
PaganMom wrote:
[quote="Janissy

PaganMom[/quote]

It's a bit of a cliche to say that hippies are some of the meanest people around, I'm pretty sure they vary as much as other people. I've worked at several health food stores and although one couple tended to dump on their staff a bit most people were very nice and certainly very much nicer than your average employer.

There's no need to slander yogis and mystics, there are plenty of people more deserving of criticizm.

(By the way, mysticism:
1. did not originate in any culture but is innate to the human experience
2. is not the opposite of directness but of shallowness)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 1:23 pm

timeisdead wrote:

Some are direct, some aren't. It depends on the person. I've had lots of negative encounters with others. Some will just huff and puff around me without really saying anything, while others will tell me what it is they can't stand about me. It's ridiculous. I don't associate it with being NT or having an ASD, either one, it's just intolerant people with bad manners, to me.
The way I look at it is, nobody is perfect and no one can please everyone, so, if people are going to be deliberately rude, don't be surprised if I am rude in return, even though a lot of time I just complain about it later or I don't say anything. Sometimes, it doesn't even register and I wish it never did.
If people are going to go out of their way to treat me like a sub human, don't expect a lot in return from me.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2009, 2:35 pm

Actually, it tends to be the other way around. I have no problem expressing my opinion and that's why I tend to just keep my mouth shut. I've learned I come off as extremely rude because I don't sugar coat things.

I despise when people are passive-aggressive towards me and would much prefer them to be blunt.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2009, 3:06 pm

In many ways this is a rather peculiar thread, in my opinion.

I can only project as to why the dreaded NT's are often reticent to be direct, but I CAN tell you why I am. It is because I have learned that when I am blunt, i.e. not careful what I say, I unwittingly hurt, upset, and insult people. I continually moderate and monitor what I say IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERATE of the feelings of others. I suppose it might be the same with many NT's, although I am sure I can put my foot in it further and faster than they can.

What I find amusing is that many AS on these forums are extremely sensitive, and would be the FIRST to be devastated by blunt, direct replies to their posts. Fortunately, most participants here are very CONSIDERATE and not overly direct. I am probably less direct on this board than I am IRL with NT's, and I don't think I am the only one.

Ok, I really think I do understand the legitimate point that some are making. In the event of a problem/irritation, people try to give hints and subtleties in order to be considerate and not unnecessarily hurt someone's feelings, but AS folks often don't pick up on the hints and then the problem escalates. In SOME cases, with SOME AS, it clearly would be preferable to openly describe the problem at the outset. However, I fear that many might react very poorly to direct criticism, too, and the result would still be drama of some sort. I think that an NT with the best of intentions might well be between a rock and a hard place on this one.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 4:34 pm

timeisdead wrote:

I think you overgeneralize. I know several NTs who are plain spoken, frank and direct. They say what they mean and they mean what they say.

ruveyn