What's your attitude towards formal clothing?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm

I like collared shirts and jackets, I've always done so.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:32 am

makuranososhi wrote:
I tend to loathe formal dress... constrictive, itchy, claustrophobia-inspiring, overly warm and aesthetically unpleasant. Of course, part of that is due to my size and build (18" neck, 39" arm, 48/50 chest, X/XXLong, wide shoulder, v-taper - the only reason I know any this stuff is due to the wedding having been recently) making it impossible to buy anything off the rack that has a chance in hell of fitting.

M.

Look for a tailor who can make your confection suits to fit for you. The ones from the Near East (Turkey, Pakistan, etc.) are often quite reasonably priced, and as long as they don't have to make something from scratch it won't cost you that much. I had similar problems to yours: thick neck, short length, narrow shoulders, short arms, etc. But thanks to my tailor all my suits now look like they were made especially for me. (And I only buy relatively inexpensive confection.)

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2010, 5:17 pm

There's some half decent internet companies now also offering average quality suits but tailored to your specifications. So you get the quality of retail shops but the cut you want and more or less the same price. You pay more for the customising but they save on standard retail costs.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 5:36 pm

Me and formal don't mix.
When I was younger and I worked a couple of part-time jobs for brief periods, I would have to wear things that I would nto usually wear. The feel of anything prickly or unusual against my skin would be really hard and I would feel trapped and overwhelmed. horrid stuff.

The only time I ever really varied my wardrobe was when I was on opiates and on methadone. Those drugs dulled my sensory issues incredibly, and enabled me to be more versatile in dress, with different fabrics against my skin. But I am certainly not advocating them as the solution to sensory issues. drugs are a loser's game, in my view.

I have one set of clothes for going out at night. comfortable and black and soft fabrics.
A few times a year I might wear them.

Most of the time it is comfortable cotton in a subtropical climate.
cotton, cotton, cotton...........

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:10 pm

I would strip if someone was dumb enough to put me in a dress and when I got older, I would fight the issue. I refused to go to church because my parents insisted I dress "feminine". I always hated feminine cloathing. It seemed like there was some sort of law that all formal attitire for little girls had to have lace, frills, bows and whatever they could stick on there to drive me into sensory Hell. I also had a hard time accepting that I was female and when I was forced to wear a dress I was extremly embarased and felt as if I was crossdressing.
I was supposed to wear skirts to church because they were "moddest". I felt exposed in a skirt. It would be insanley easy for some pervert to reach their hand up there. As an adult, there are some nice cocktail dresses out there I wouldn't mind wearing.

I feel so fake when I dress "feminine". I'm told I am going to church for God. The last person I should have to feel fake for is God.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 25 Jan 2010, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gainer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2010, 5:24 pm

I dislike anything tat somebody tells me I have te wear, be it a suit, costume, a uniform, etc. Not always the bst thing as I do a lot of theatre work but I have gotten around it

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 5:43 pm

I hate it. I always like to wear comfortable clothes. When you dress up, you're always worried about getting dirty and that's no fun!

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 6:46 pm

I don't mind wearing a uniform, especially if I get to wear pants all the time as I hate wearing pantyhose, which is what's expected when you wear a skirt in the corporate world. The other thing I don't like besides pantyhose is wearing high heels which are worn a lot for formal occasions. I prefer to wear slacks if I dress up, so if I go to a church, it has to be one where people dress more casually, and not one of those where women are expected to wear skirts or dresses.

smischmal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

I don't like being forced to dress formally or wear a uniform (for instance at work) though I prefer to dress nicely when I can (as long as it is kept comfortable, it can be done) so that people are less likely to think I am 'crazy' and more likely to view me as 'eccentric'. I just love the way that word feels.

dancePirateMike
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2010, 8:57 pm

I'm half italian. So of course I like to dress up. I used to hate it, but I really like to now! If I could afford it, I'd wear a double-breasted suit everyday.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 4:47 am

dancePirateMike wrote:
I'm half italian. So of course I like to dress up. I used to hate it, but I really like to now! If I could afford it, I'd wear a double-breasted suit everyday.

Ah, now you're talking......Italian clothing looks more stylish to me - better haircuts too 8)