no healt insurance if u have asperger?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm

I'm not sure of the difficulty of getting AS with health insurance, but I know that many people with fibromyalgia have ridiculous insurance rates and many don't have health insurance at all. Some have tried for SSD 5+ times and fail each time because they held ONE job in their lifetime. (I'm so glad I haven't had a job yet since I have both AS and fibro.) I think more health professionals believe in autism disorders than fibromyalgia so at least getting SS would be easier for ASD than fibro.

But I will say this: Health insurance is really a corrupt business. There was an article in my paper not too long ago about someone with bone cancer wasn't able to pay the premium because she had to use her money elsewhere, and her insurance dropped her on the spot and put a lawsuit out for $10,000 from her. She died two weeks later and the health insurance company got all of her money. Her family got nothing.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:39 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
If someone is already on group insurance through their work, though--will the ASD diagnosis get them kicked OFF their insurance?

You do have to check with your own insurer and your own insurance, but generally, if you have insurance and keep paying the premiums, then there are very few circumstances where the insurer can end the policy. So if you are insured, then it is always best to stay insured continuously.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:50 pm

StuartN wrote:
SoSayWeAll wrote:
If someone is already on group insurance through their work, though--will the ASD diagnosis get them kicked OFF their insurance?

You do have to check with your own insurer and your own insurance, but generally, if you have insurance and keep paying the premiums, then there are very few circumstances where the insurer can end the policy. So if you are insured, then it is always best to stay insured continuously.

So in the case of someone at a major company--either stay with that company, or make sure your next company is another big one if a move is necessary...?

But for leaving that company--if the need arose, you would suggest waiting until 2014 (assuming the funding comes through, which due to some problems with the bill might become an issue) when the prohibitions on refusing to insure those with pre-existing conditions come into effect?

Hopefully that would not be necessary. But, I do want to consider all of the possible ramifications, both good and bad, of looking into the possibility of a diagnosis. If it could result in any kind of adverse impact to my health insurance...then as much as it would bug me to not know, I may just have to do that rather than try and find out.

dynastus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

no healt insurance if u have asperger?

Equality where is it now?

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

clumsybee wrote:
I'm not sure of the difficulty of getting AS with health insurance, but I know that many people with fibromyalgia have ridiculous insurance rates and many don't have health insurance at all. Some have tried for SSD 5+ times and fail each time because they held ONE job in their lifetime. (I'm so glad I haven't had a job yet since I have both AS and fibro.) I think more health professionals believe in autism disorders than fibromyalgia so at least getting SS would be easier for ASD than fibro.

I managed to hold down 2 jobs for over 9 years each what are my chances of getting on ssi for Aspergers? Without my medical insurance I will not be able to afford my medicine which will end up causing me to lose kidney function and weaken my heart. The only jobs that called me in for interviews did not help with medical insurance. I failed at those interviews though. WI have never gotten a job through an interview.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm

bee33 wrote:
Michael_Stuart wrote:
This has changed to some extent with the new legislation passed.
As I understand it, Obama's health care bill doesn't allow insurers to deny people for existing conditions. This takes effect right away for children and will take effect in 2014 for adults.
well, that's one good thing at least :)

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 1:07 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
But for leaving that company--if the need arose, you would suggest waiting until 2014 (assuming the funding comes through, which due to some problems with the bill might become an issue) when the prohibitions on refusing to insure those with pre-existing conditions come into effect?

I have found that insurers want money, so if you already have private health (or life) insurance, then most companies are willing to take you on with the same terms as your existing insurer - in other words, they accept pre-existing conditions in order to switch your business. I am in a country where insurers are obliged to accept anyone who can pay the premium, so a diagnosis makes no difference as long as there is no break in insurance - and yes, I am sure that raises everyone's premiums (which I totally support).

It is worth noting that the only value of insurance comes when they pay out, so you do have to declare all of that "anything else that might be relevant" so that they have no grounds for not paying out.

So the important thing is how to get insured (or stay insured) with a diagnosis of ASD upfront and on the application form.