Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 12:28 am

I'm called "Spock" quite a lot--probably because I act unemotional. It's not that I don't HAVE emotions; I just don't express them, except for amusement and sadness.

When I was a younger girl, I was called "Boots" because I wore big ski boots to school when it wasn't snowing. And my stepfather called me "snot-nosed brat" because I had temper tantrums.

Most of the teasing I got didn't involve nicknames, though.

I can identify with the aerobics thing--I remember being in the sixth grade and having a square-dance class; and I was standing there paralyzed, because there were all these people doing these things that the person up front was saying they should do; and I couldn't even focus on the person up front because there were so many other things going on, and the gym was big (we had combined classes for gym) and there were so many people in it... then I was pointed out in front of everyone when the instructor asked me why I wasn't participating.

I still feel embarassed, even remembering that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 5:25 am

When I was about 10 this girl got to know me and was like "OMG I thought you were a straight A student because you never seem to talk"

I'm not, I never concerntrate on my work. If I didn't have AS I would be one of those rowdy naughty add kids in class. But because of AS, I just quietly didn't pay attention.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 5:33 am

hale_bopp -- during your periods of inattention, were you thinking about other things or just zoning out?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 5:48 am

emp wrote:
hale_bopp -- during your periods of inattention, were you thinking about other things or just zoning out?

Most of the time I was doodling on the desk.

Combination of both though, most of the time tune out though.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 6:55 am

hale_bopp, i always WONDERED who the desktop cartoonest and loveletter writer was in middle and high school!! :)

ok heres my nicknames they started since about 3rd grade elementry school,

3rd to 4th-camping girl(on weekends I would go camping

3rd to 6th-MONROE legs(monroe is a shock absorber manufacturer,and i was always good at dodge ball, plus had a big obcession with car parts (especially shock absorbers)

6th-8th-doordevil(I was always seen near a door or always in the custodians room asking about fixing them.(they were all locksmiths or related feilds) I also started doing minor hinge tightening and small repairs. This is also when I started collecting door hardware (not from the school!)

9th-10th-same as above (it comtinued until guidance got nosy and thought I was getting made fun of) then changed to doordoctor. In internet chat rooms, I was door kid or closer (for those of you in uk that would be closure) girl(I used to ask alot of questions to builders and commerical building contractors in chat rooms about codes and stuff)

11th and 12th-doordoctor, miss fix-it(cause I learned alot about fixing doors and the schools I went to needed it BADLY) I also had a few repair courses involving me actually fixing the schools! (reguler and technical school)

After high school, doordoctor or even aol tech(no, im not hired by aol but could easily pass as one of them!!. there ahve been times also were THE TECHS have emailed and immed ME ASKING FOR HELP!! !! !)

:lol:

now it sounds like i covered all MY nicknames!
Jess

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2006, 8:17 am

"you f***ing syndrome hell!" was always a favourite amongst my little brothers, after my mom telling them about my so called condition. "braindamaged" is also pretty popular these days it seems. "ret*d" etc.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 8:28 am

berta wrote:
"you f***ing syndrome hell!" was always a favourite amongst my little brothers, after my mom telling them about my so called condition.

Speaking of it being called a syndrome, I prefer (and think it more accurate) to say "I am an aspie" rather than "I have aspergers" or "I have aspergers syndrome". I consider it more something that I am rather than something that I have.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 11:34 am

Stupid: Currajong Special School, 1982. Because my name is Stuart. Why those kids didn't grow up to become comedy writers, I'll never know.

Aspro: Swan Plumbing Hardware, Forest Hill, 1989. Short for Aspro Clear, or "slow working dope"

Nong: Prestige Kitchens, 1991. Australian slang of indigenous origin; meaning "stupid" or "slow working dope".

Frizzler: 99 Stars, 1999. The guitarist called me that after catching me stimming at a rehearsal and thinking I'd been electrocuted. That one I can live with.

You got to ask for it

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2006, 3:17 pm

doordoctor wrote:
hale_bopp, i always WONDERED who the desktop cartoonest and loveletter writer was in middle and high school!! :)

Err.. I didn't do it in middle and highschool... but I did enjoy reading the works of people who did. :lol:

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2006, 7:59 pm

althought i was only diagnosed with AS recently i left school 5 years ago. and at school the boys - it was only ever boys that bullied me - called me names

there favourite one to use was 'syndrome' even though they didnt know about my undiagnosed AS
i was called other names aswell like freak and ret*d and spastic tubby fat ass , blobby and these sorts of names

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 5:31 pm

Stick Boy
Carol (my name is Carl)
Christmas Carol
Doc
The Professor
Confucius

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2006, 7:54 pm

Elementary school:
Smartie (for being a straight A student)
Grease pit (because I didn't wash my hair frequently enough to satisfy some kids)

High school:

Gay (for having only one friend, who just happened to also be female - though she had innumerable boyfriends and I had none)

College:
Saint _____ (my name)
Frigid Brigid
(both of the above for my non-participation in most of the usual college recreational activities) :roll:

I did my best to disappear into the background and not draw attention to myself, so most of the time the other kids just left me alone, or maybe I was just too oblivous to notice.

Energy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2006, 10:09 pm

One friend of mine nicknamed me 'Data' as in the android from Star Trek, probably the only name ive been called I didnt mind

Anubis612
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2006, 12:31 am

ret*d

Of course through middle school this one is inevitable. It stopped when I arrived in Massachusetts from New York to a clean slate, a better school, and much kinder classmates.

Awkward

This isn't truly a nickname, but I receive this as a description fairly often. I don't mind it too much, it simply means that I am unique in my own right :)

I have another nickname, but it isn't related to AS, and would be way too embarrasing to put here.

Anubis612
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2006, 12:22 pm

Oh, I forgot one, "The Conversation Killer"

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2006, 1:57 pm

In school, I used to be called 'Flicker' because I used to have a nervous tic.

I gave myself the Mork nickname as I've never felt like I belonged on this crappy planet.

Has anyone else given themselves a nickname??