Wondering what women with autism think of this.

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm

bee33 wrote:
I'm wondering if a lot of this has to do with autistic people not always realizing when they're crossing the line and being insulting? I know that's happened to me with other issues on other forums. I thought I was just stating a fact, when I was actually inadvertently pissing all over someone.

I'm not in a particularly generous mood tonight.

And how many of these "women-bashing" threads have we had here recently on WP? How do these threads usually turn out? Anyone who's been here for any length of time should have a general sense of what's likely to start a flame war. Claiming "autistic ignorance" doesn't cut it, especially when you consider the, "REAL austistics shouldn't criticize me," line. That smacks of dishonesty. I don't give people a free pass for being rude or dishonest just because they're autistic.

Lastly, when people keep posting these women-bashing threads, just how much forbearance are we expected to show? I feel like I'm sitting at a bar, minding my own business while trying to have a nice drink, and every twenty minutes an angry autistic boy comes up to me and starts pitching a tantrum about how evil I am. Seesh.

--XFG

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm

menintights wrote:
Surfman wrote:
She had major issues, but because she was 20 years younger and attractive I put up with her sh**.

Even if your ex was as terrible as you think she was, this sentence makes it really hard for me to sympathize with you.

(I had to said that, yes.)

She was 26 and I was 43 years old. She was using meth and hung with some dodgy friends. Her dog killed 5 cats and was put down. Few people from her hood engaged her, due to her history. She stole from many people. Her sister committed suicide shortly after money went missing from her dads business, both she and her sister were responsible for that money, at the time..... When she screwed over her best friend (female, who was just as bad as her) police went on to charge her with criminal harassment. I found out her history afterwards

I was unaware of my AS, at the time.

I went through hell because an aspie (unaware) like me who had been lonely for a long time, fell in love with a psychopathically dishonest younger woman who was in love with me too.

If you dont wish to sympathise with me because she was almost 20 years younger I will call the ageist card.

My being older than her is a get out of jail free card to her??

I think you could be on my side here? but if your so enamoured with females over men, I will make a mental note of irrationality, ageism, sexism and parochialism.

I believe your view is harming females by validating inappropriate behaviour, much as poor parenting does, or does anyone who joins in a conflict her on WP, between the sexes. This is not about man woman or age's, its about being treated kindly. Dont get me wrong. Plenty of guys act like dicks too, but I'm gonna shoot for 50/50

Last edited by Surfman on 14 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

homo_aspien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm

I have nothing to add to what underINK said.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:38 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
bee33 wrote:
I'm wondering if a lot of this has to do with autistic people not always realizing when they're crossing the line and being insulting? I know that's happened to me with other issues on other forums. I thought I was just stating a fact, when I was actually inadvertently pissing all over someone.

I'm not in a particularly generous mood tonight.

And how many of these "women-bashing" threads have we had here recently on WP? How do these threads usually turn out? Anyone who's been here for any length of time should have a general sense of what's likely to start a flame war. Claiming "autistic ignorance" doesn't cut it, especially when you consider the, "REAL austistics shouldn't criticize me," line. That smacks of dishonesty. I don't give people a free pass for being rude or dishonest just because they're autistic.

Lastly, when people keep posting these women-bashing threads, just how much forbearance are we expected to show? I feel like I'm sitting at a bar, minding my own business while trying to have a nice drink, and every twenty minutes an angry autistic boy comes up to me and starts pitching a tantrum about how evil I am. Seesh.

--XFG

I could be wrong but I think Bee33 was being genuine. Women bashing? I didn't notice, but I don't read every thread and many like these I completely avoid. However, I do think women are capable enough in most instances to stand up for themselves. That part about the angry autistic boy pitching a tantrum about how evil you are, seems a little fetched.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Lastly, when people keep posting these women-bashing threads, just how much forbearance are we expected to show?

I agree with you. But though I recognize these posts and threads as offensive and insulting, I don't find myself being personally offended by them, because I see them as coming from guys who are lonely, upset, and frustrated by their inability to connect with a woman (some of the posts anyway; some are just posted to start trouble). I'm a woman. btw.

Edit to add:
Meadow, I didn't see your post before I I posted. I haven't been following the threads on this topic very closely, which might be why I'm not more upset, but I agree that some reactions seem very heated, perhaps understandably, I don't know. But I don't feel as heated myself, for the reason stated above.

Last edited by bee33 on 14 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:50 pm

Surfman wrote:
menintights wrote:
Surfman wrote:
She had major issues, but because she was 20 years younger and attractive I put up with her sh**.

Even if your ex was as terrible as you think she was, this sentence makes it really hard for me to sympathize with you.

(I had to said that, yes.)

She was 26 and I was 43 years old. She was using meth and hung with some dodgy friends. Her dog killed 5 cats and was put down. Few people from her hood engaged her, due to her history. She stole from many people. Her sister committed suicide shortly after money went missing from her dads business, both she and her sister were responsible for that money, at the time..... When she screwed over her best friend (female, who was just as bad as her) police went on to charge her with criminal harassment. I found out her history afterwards

I was unaware of my AS, at the time.

I went through hell because an aspie (unaware) like me who had been lonely for a long time, fell in love with a psychopathically dishonest younger woman who was in love with me too.

If you dont wish to sympathise with me because she was almost 20 years younger I will call the ageist card.

My being older than her is a get out of jail free card to her??

I think you could be on my side here? but if your so enamoured with females over men, I will make a mental note of irrationality, ageism, sexism and parochialism.

I believe your view is harming females by validating inappropriate behaviour, much as poor parenting does, or does anyone who joins in a conflict her on WP, between the sexes. This is not about man woman or age's, its about being treated kindly. Dont get me wrong. Plenty of guys act like dicks too, but I'm gonna shoot for 50/50
no, i think the issue was the fact that you only put up with her sh** because she was 20 years younger and attractive. that sounds kind of shallow.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

I give up.

I am human? A lonely human.

If you wish to harass me because of that sentence I think your lack of sympathy for me runs a tad deeper...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:01 pm

Basically the LOL graphics were in response to your outrageous generalisations.

You kicked me in the knee, and I kicked you back. It was so offensive it was funny.

Possibly people (including myself) could try and be more mature about it - but it doens't seem to get anywhere - people keep making these crude and ridiculous generalisations about women.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

Surfman wrote:
I give up.

I am human? A lonely human.

If you wish to harass me because of that sentence I think your lack of sympathy for me runs a tad deeper...
i was explaining what i think was the other person's issue with what you said. i may have been wrong.

not trying to harass you - i find the entire situation and its occupants very sad. but anyone who dates someone for their looks and age is by definition being shallow. i don't know if you always date according to that criteria, so i won't make any assumptions.

if i said that i only stayed with a man because he was handsome and had a high-paying job, what would you think of that?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:10 pm

I give up. 8)

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm

BTW, her name was 'Lexy' lol lol lol

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 11:21 pm

Surfman wrote:
BTW, her name was 'Lexy' lol lol lol
*cough* glances around. wasn't me, i swear!

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 2:58 am

hyperlexian wrote:
bee33 wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:
And yet the country with the strongest feminism movement on the planet has children who spend equal amounts of time with both parents.

That's very interesting. What country are you referring to?

I also want to point out that I don't blame women in general and certainly not feminists for the inequity in male/female contact with children after a divorce. I blame the court system and the individual women who take advantage of that system and intentionally shut out their ex husbands..
yes, that is not acceptable, and equally not acceptable for the men who choose not to be involved in their children's lives. both men and women can be horrible after a divorce, and in those cases the children often suffer.

i was guessing the country was iceland, sweden or norway.

And you would be correct. I am currently living in Sweden. Every divorced parent I know here is in the same situation. They have the children for a week and then their ex has the children for a week. Men even get to take 50% of the 'maternity' leave.

I think the reason it doesn't happen in other countries, my home one included, is because women are still down trodden and male dominated society still sees them as needing to be tied to the kitchen sink with the kids while the men do what they like. This is then reflected in the laws and courts.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:08 am

As an aside, what was the purpose of posting this thread in this forum? It seems to me that the is no purpose other than being an attempt to bring more people into an existing argument in another forum. Bad form really.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 6:12 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
bee33 wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:
And yet the country with the strongest feminism movement on the planet has children who spend equal amounts of time with both parents.

That's very interesting. What country are you referring to?

I also want to point out that I don't blame women in general and certainly not feminists for the inequity in male/female contact with children after a divorce. I blame the court system and the individual women who take advantage of that system and intentionally shut out their ex husbands..
yes, that is not acceptable, and equally not acceptable for the men who choose not to be involved in their children's lives. both men and women can be horrible after a divorce, and in those cases the children often suffer.

i was guessing the country was iceland, sweden or norway.

And you would be correct. I am currently living in Sweden. Every divorced parent I know here is in the same situation. They have the children for a week and then their ex has the children for a week. Men even get to take 50% of the 'maternity' leave.

I think the reason it doesn't happen in other countries, my home one included, is because women are still down trodden and male dominated society still sees them as needing to be tied to the kitchen sink with the kids while the men do what they like. This is then reflected in the laws and courts.

Yes, generally more freedom and rights for women translates into more freedom and rights for men. Interesting how that works out...we're all people :)

And I think that's the bottom line here, one that I think those bashing both genders should observe, and that's my only contribution to this thread.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 12:21 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
I am currently living in Sweden. Every divorced parent I know here is in the same situation. They have the children for a week and then their ex has the children for a week. Men even get to take 50% of the 'maternity' leave.

I think you're absolutely right. Btw, in New York the standard visitation for a non-custodial father (and the court never grants joint custody in a contested divorce) is every other weekend, which means the father sees the children four days a month. My ex bf begged for more time and got a pitiful extra 4 hours every Wednesday, but all of it soon became moot because the mother always had some excuse why the son couldn't see the father, and then she stopped answering the phone altogether.
Meow101 wrote:
Yes, generally more freedom and rights for women translates into more freedom and rights for men. Interesting how that works out...we're all people :)

And I think that's the bottom line here, one that I think those bashing both genders should observe, and that's my only contribution to this thread.

~Kate
This is true not just for gender equality but for all discrimination. Whenever an oppressed group is given equal rights it lifts up everyone, not just other oppressed groups but everyone. Since people with autism are discriminated against, often in subtle ways, we should all be boosting each other up rather than squabbling about the realtive merit of each of our own difficulties, in my opinion.