Are Aspergians really rude and inconsiderate?

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

flyingkittycat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2010, 11:34 am

okay, testing this theory. Moog, not trying to be rude or anything but your breath stinks.

Did it work???

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 11:48 am

No. :lol:

We really need lab conditions.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 12:40 pm

flyingkittycat wrote:
Something I noticed about dialect. I'll hear someone say "Not meaning to be rude but...." Then the person says something that is insulting. Is that some strange way of getting out of trouble for being rude? If so, does it really work? It doesn't work on me when someone else tries to say it to me because I usually call the person out but maybe can try it. Everything I say for now on will start off with "Not trying to be rude but..." Even when saying hello.

I have seen people say that but I always interpret that as they don't want you to take it the wrong way or get upset or defensive because they are genuinely curious. Like someone can say to me, "Not to be rude but how are you going to afford your child after you have it?"

But lot of times I often wonder why would I think they're being rude. It was just a curious question. Or if it was a comment they made I often wonder why would I think they're being rude, they were just being honest. I just assume it means what I said in my first part of my post.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

flyingkittycat wrote:
Something I noticed about dialect. I'll hear someone say "Not meaning to be rude but...."

And "I don't mean to be racist / sexist, but ..." and proceed to say something completely unacceptable. In the newspapers, they use it to get away with things that are incitement to hatred, on the grounds that they are provoking legitimate debate.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 2:14 pm

I'm a polite person in general, but when I state my opinion about certain things, people often say I'm rude. I can be a rude person when I'm in a bad frame of mind, but aren't most people like that? Actually, I sometimes think that NT's can be inconsiderate at times...sorry... :oops:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 3:47 pm

If I'm being rude, it's usually not intentional or I'm so pissed that my "tact filter" has come down. Now there are some people who use their AS as an excuse to be an as*hole and that makes me so mad. :evil:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I do relate to what Robinson says about his wife falling and not being hurt. Why show concern if she isn't hurt? Why make a fuss about it? She is okay, move on. I don't think that is rude and inconsiderate at all.

Yes, I´m having trouble understanding exactly why this is considered rude. What was he supposed to have done?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:20 pm

Morgana wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I do relate to what Robinson says about his wife falling and not being hurt. Why show concern if she isn't hurt? Why make a fuss about it? She is okay, move on. I don't think that is rude and inconsiderate at all.

Yes, I´m having trouble understanding exactly why this is considered rude. What was he supposed to have done?

I think they make a huge fuss about it and a big deal while she keeps saying she is okay I'm guessing.

I get very annoyed when people fuss over me when I say I am okay. Seesh don't they listen? I just want to snap at them to get them to leave me alone because I figure if I get bitchy, they won't want to deal with me so they leave me alone. Maybe people love being fussed over when they fall? :?

Last edited by League_Girl on 24 Sep 2010, 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

No, not at all. But a lot of people with ASD's may come across that way to others.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 1:00 am

It varies from one aspie to another. I'm pretty sensitive to others feelings, but this may only be true because I'm very sensitive myself.

It also seems like some aspies can be too nice or good natured to the point where they are taken advantage of. Personally I haven't met many rude aspies IRL. I honestly don't see where this stereotype comes from. I'm far more likely to get offended by an NT who is obviously being rude and nasty on purpose.

rjgarn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2010, 2:32 am

Meadow wrote:
I have a "real" disability. It's called Autism. And I do not lack empathy.

I wasn't suggesting that you or Alex or anyone else here has a lack of empathy Meadow. I was (in a dry and ironic way) pointing out that there are people out there who see disabilities in only dire physical or mental conditions, and they fervently criticize anyone who claims otherwise as being a heartless attention seeker.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 2:51 am

sartresue wrote:
Rude awakenings topic

If there is no intent or awareness, there is no rudeness.

Next.

I kept getting told that if the person feels that I was rude, that was all that mattered.

Dappadee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2010, 2:53 am

Shebakoby wrote:
sartresue wrote:
Rude awakenings topic

If there is no intent or awareness, there is no rudeness.

Next.

I kept getting told that if the person feels that I was rude, that was all that mattered.

I tend to think that what matters is how you feel about it.

It's a case of mind over mind; if you don't mind, they don't matter.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:14 am

From my experience, it wasn't always how the person felt, it was if they were the ones with the problem and it wasn't me and they just over reacted.

But then I am being told feelings matter. WTF?

I just ignore them.

Jaydee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2010, 9:29 am

League_Girl wrote:
Morgana wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I think they make a huge fuss about it and a big deal while she keeps saying she is okay I'm guessing.

I get very annoyed when people fuss over me when I say I am okay. Seesh don't they listen? I just want to snap at them to get them to leave me alone because I figure if I get bitchy, they won't want to deal with me so they leave me alone. Maybe people love being fussed over when they fall? :?
This is very interesting, and a good example of how a situation may be perceived in different ways. When a person trips and falls, the incident is actually rather complex: He may actually have become physically hurt, he may have gotten a scare (it is scary to lose one's footing and know that you're about to fall), his pride may have been hurt (embarassment). Many things for the onlooker to notice, assess and express empathy about by using facial expressions and by verbalizing our concern. ("Are you hurt?" "Oh, that looked painful." "Sure you are all right?" "Let me help you get up." etc, etc.). It is common to express empathy even though the person is clearly unharmed. First and foremost because it's a good chance that the person actually experiences some physical pain even though he says he's fine. Secondly, we show concern and empathy because we know it may both be scary and embarassing to trip and fall.
To me, an "expressionless" look on my aspie friend's face if I should fall, will not seem rude, because I know he cares about me. However, you cannot know that a person has AS by looking at him/her, and a seemingly uncaring glance will then be judged as callous or cynical by many people.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 12:51 pm

rjgarn wrote:
Meadow wrote:
I have a "real" disability. It's called Autism. And I do not lack empathy.

I wasn't suggesting that you or Alex or anyone else here has a lack of empathy Meadow. I was (in a dry and ironic way) pointing out that there are people out there who see disabilities in only dire physical or mental conditions, and they fervently criticize anyone who claims otherwise as being a heartless attention seeker.

I can only speak for myself, but it is a real disability. I don't however have the strength or necessarily the where with all to get that information out to you, which is also a big part of my disability. If you can't speak effectively or hold your own in society, you are at a serious disadvantage. Even in writing I struggle with it. It doesn't mean I'm stupid or should be kicked into the gutter. My lack of strength in some areas are at least compensated in another. And that's only one aspect of the overall challenges and disability. It's hard to be tough enough in life around the constant badgering and ignorance that people put out when something isn't immediately obvious to them.