Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The_Dude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2010, 9:04 am

I got 17/20 but I read ages ago about how people screw their eyes up more with a real smile so if I saw the eyes crease I marked it as real and vice-versa. I got 3, 11 and 15 wrong, two real ones and one fake.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 9:32 am

I got 15 out of 20.

The statement at the end makes me wonder if NTs are actually worse at this: 'Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling." We may be more objective?

Also, there's a lengthy explanation of how the eyes crease up differently in fake and real smiles, but I was only looking at mouths and I did pretty well. Perhaps it's not as necessary to look at people's eyes to understand their emotions as we are always being told?

conan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 9:46 am

i just looked at the eyes. i got 18/20 but i doubt iwould get that in real life because i would not be looking at the eyes

Duchenne smile

Zedition
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2010, 9:50 am

11/20 and I already knew about how the skin around the eye wrinkles with a real smile before taking the test.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 2:32 pm

Yeah. These videos aren't like real life. We have adequate time to prepare ourselves and we're actually watching it happen.

Honestly, what it seems like is any method will work-- just looking at crow's feet gives it more often than chance. More subtle strategies such as have been outlined also work better than flipping a coin. They also seem to require some degree of skill; using the same method as I did, someone here got a better score.

I wonder whether looking at the mouth and eyes tips you off to different ones.

Ah, now I see. That's why just looking at the whole face, relaxed, and processing all of it unconsciously is such a good strategy. And if you're looking at the eyes with your fovea the whole time (after all, that means you can both look at the same spot), and if you don't actually know what you're picking up on... OH. MY. GOD.

NOT A DOCTOR

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:05 pm

bee33 wrote:
I got 15 out of 20.

The statement at the end makes me wonder if NTs are actually worse at this: 'Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling." We may be more objective?

Also, there's a lengthy explanation of how the eyes crease up differently in fake and real smiles, but I was only looking at mouths and I did pretty well. Perhaps it's not as necessary to look at people's eyes to understand their emotions as we are always being told?

I've always felt that it isn't deemed polite to really look into someone, and really see how they really are. I think for politeness sake, we are supposed to accept the front that they throw up. And we're also expected to have our own fronts too.

I mainly looked at the eye creases, but I also gave some attention to the face as a whole.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2010, 12:55 am

You got 9 out of 20 correct
they were all smiling... some were laughing and still were fake. IDK

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 1:39 am

Coldkick wrote:
I wonder what the ratio average is for an NT?

I got 13/20. Thanks for asking :D

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2010, 5:27 am

You got 19 out of 20 correct

Its cause I have been bullied though and manipulated before. So I'm always looking for the falsehood in people. I've become a social observational. Which means I'm always looking for the person who's judging me or manipulating me. Its all due to my training that I used when I was bullied. I don't trust people enough, so I'm always looking for where they fault and show me their falsehood.

lambrisprime
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2010, 6:24 am

16 out of 20

What goes for clyde also goes for me. However, I'm not so adept at determining genuine intent through actions in real time; too many variables and it begins to drive me mad.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2010, 7:11 am

ediself wrote:
i got 14. How do they know if the smiles were fake or real though? i'm pretty sure you can't tell if your own smile was fake or sincere after a lifetime of faking smiles automatically....
edit: How CREEPY is it when they have that big warm smile for a second, and then suddently relax and you see a gloomy dark face was hiding behind that smile....i am always super attentive to the way people's faces look like right after smiling. And a few of these guys here were creepers....brrr....

I got 12 right, missed 5 of the fake ones.

I'm going to guess they filmed the test and told everyone to keep a straight face as much as they can, then tried to make them laugh. They also told them to fake it at some point.

EmaN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2010, 12:18 pm

13 out of 20

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 8:50 pm

i got 13 out of 20... is that good?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:07 pm

13/20

in looking at the pictures ate the end seems like the eye brow area was a good tell
it's more raise in the genuine ones as opposed to the fake ones it's normal. Could be my imagination though..i went by eyes at first then switched to lips and their transition away from smile.

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2010, 9:11 pm

15 / 20. There were two clues for me.
1) If the shoulders and head are bobbing then that means that he's laughing. It's less likely that a faker would think to also fake a laugh.
2) Many of them had a mini-smile started on the first frame of the film. Real smiling is involuntary, so that indicates that they were having trouble putting on a neutral face for the camera and are more likely be genuine.

And wow, these people had some bad teeth! I'm not used to that over here in America. Does Britain's tax-funded health care system not pay for orthodontists?

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:32 pm

14/20... it was harder than I thought, but I think I figured something out. If it's real, the smile stays in their eyes after their mouth goes back to normal.