Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Combo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2010, 5:40 pm

Can you post a link to the original study associating Autism with mitochondrial dysfunction?

conan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 6:39 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Zur-Darkstar wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
jamesongerbil wrote:
That's odd that it was said to be a Mitochondrial disorder, but not genetic. After all, the mitchondria houses RNA, which happens to be transferred from the mother.

Mitochondrial DNA only comes from your mother and 80% of Aspies are male. If MDNA was the carrier for the Aspergers gene you wouldn't see it trending in the male populations within a family as none of your MDNA comes from your father. I'm sure that it is much more complicated than this - I haven't taken a genetics course since the mid-nineties.

This was the same thought I had as well. If the cause is the DNA in the mitochondria of the mother, then all children, male and female, should be equally affected.

Not necessarily. The hormone profile of a male is different than a female and could lead to a different expression of MDNA genetic information. It could also be possible that a synergistic combination of variations in both MDNA and on the Y chromosome leads to more autism in males. MDNA anomalies might be necessary for autism without in any way being sufficient.

Sounds like further study is needed.

technically it is possible as some proteins present in the mitochondria are imported from the genes and machinery on the outside. still, there are many other reasons this theory is probably no good.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:30 am

Combo wrote:
Can you post a link to the original study associating Autism with mitochondrial dysfunction?

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/304/21/2389.abstract

Preliminary Communication
Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Autism. Cecilia Giulivi, PhD; Yi-Fan Zhang, BS; Alicja Omanska-Klusek, MS; Catherine Ross-Inta, BS; Sarah Wong, BS; Irva Hertz-Picciotto, PhD; Flora Tassone, PhD; Isaac N. Pessah, PhD. JAMA. 2010;304(21):2389-2396. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.1706

Abstract: Context Impaired mitochondrial function may influence processes highly dependent on energy, such as neurodevelopment, and contribute to autism. No studies have evaluated mitochondrial dysfunction and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) abnormalities in a well-defined population of children with autism.

Objective: To evaluate mitochondrial defects in children with autism.

Design, Setting, and Patients: Observational study using data collected from patients aged 2 to 5 years who were a subset of children participating in the Childhood Autism Risk From Genes and Environment study in California, which is a population-based, case-control investigation with confirmed autism cases and age-matched, genetically unrelated, typically developing controls, that was launched in 2003 and is still ongoing. Mitochondrial dysfunction and mtDNA abnormalities were evaluated in lymphocytes from 10 children with autism and 10 controls.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

Quote:
There's yet another social network on the internet - but this one pairs users up with people who share the same intestinal bacteria.
The new site, MyMicrobes, has been set up by researchers from the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, and aims to bring together individuals with the same gut flora so that they can share questions and concerns about their digestive health. As you might imagine, it looks set to be a rather niche network - and one that requires a little more than the usual email address and password to join.
After registering on the site, individuals are shipped a package of information and a stool-sample kit. It's then just a matter of providing the sample by post - along with $2,100 to cover the cost of having your gut bacteria sequenced - and you're a member. The site offers its users a way to meet people with similar gastrointestinal complaints, and provides a forum for sharing diet tips and digestive anecdotes with one another - remember, we did say it was niche. In exchange for providing users with the ability to share their - quite literally - innermost thoughts, the researchers will gather a wealth of data about the bacteria that live in peoples' guts.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepe ... l-network/

My.Microbes: http://my.microbes.eu/

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

25 Sep 2011, 11:31 am

DevilInside wrote:
Why do desperate parents cling on to any crackpot theory out there when there is plenty of REAL science to be found ?

The simple answer is... most NTs prefer to believe what they want to believe. It's why religion is so popular.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

KakashiYay wrote:
Mitochondrial disorders that mimic autism aren't new.

These, imo, are often the cases of late regression, triggered by environmental toxins, that show the most recovery with wacky treatments, like casein/dairy/gluten-free diets, etc. This is largely what Autism Speaks/ anti-vaccination people are worried about, even though they think they're worried about ASD in general.

I suspect you are correct about this, and it certainly ties in with my experience working in naturopathy and my own personal experience.

There are some conditions (quite a few) that clear up when allergies are removed. But then some people don't see any improment, so I'm left wondering if it's not just a question of us putting certain symptoms in a bag and giving them a nice label like "autism" or "fibromyalgia" when really those symptoms cross over into many different causes.

Our medical science often takes a too limited very Western approach, which is to say, there is a one-to-one relationship between disease and symptom.

It doesn't appear to be the case though.

What I wonder at is that when you say "flu like symptoms" to a doc they understand it could be many possible underlying conditions.

But if you say "I have migraines" they act like it could only be hormonal, when in reality it could be something completely different, or some combination of factors.

Research will get over that eventually, I expect, but as long as our focus is primarily "let's make a drug we can patent and make lots of money by addressing this one symptom" it will slow down our progress in dealing with actual ill health.

j_choate69
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2011, 2:24 am

Personally, I can't help feeling as though Aspies are more likely the next evolutionary step rather than a mistake. All the quirks they list or at least most of the quirks I feel are great traits that I am proud to have. So maybe I don't talk to everyone. Why should I when I can tell that it will not be a conversation of any depth or importance.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 3:52 am

At the end of the day:

BLAH BLAH BLAH, just another scientist trying to make a name for himself by coming up with another ridiculous theory that hopefully cannot be refuted so that he can claim he can cure us, making himself famous through the effort no doubt.

You know, for a scientist that claims knowledge of this stuff he is impossibly dense, doesn't he know that everyone shouldn't be the same and differing traits are good for evolution?

I would much rather have my own mind, with its quirks rather than being shoved into a world where stabbing people in the back and fighting over inches of floorspace in the worst pub in the world is normal.

Scientists can go shove their theories on autism for all I care and go do something worthwhile, like making a dehydrated pizza that looks remarkably like the one from back to the future, since they only have about 3 years and 6 weeks to achieve this feat.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

I think media hype has overblown their results. I've seen plenty of research articles identifying a cause for autism where the news stories refer to the research as having found the cause for autism. Honestly, trying to find the cause of autism is like trying to find the cause for mental retardation. Both are basically just symptoms that can result from hundreds of different underlying conditions.

Anyway, the study seems screwy. Out of 364 autistic kids, the researchers picked 10 kids to study. They claim they picked them as kids who met both ADI-R and ADOS cutoffs for autism, but I seriously doubt that would result in only 10 kids given that ADOS and ADI-R scores are highly correlated. (Furthermore, the ADI-R is supposed to be filled out in reference to the child's behavior at 4-5 years and since much of their sample was under 4, the ADI-R may not be accurate for those children.)

So, they found high rates of mitochondrial problems in the 10 kids they actually studied. We have no idea how representative those kids are of all the rest of the kids, because the selection criteria they claim to have used should have gotten most of their sample instead of a small subset. They may have picked the children on some trait increasing the probability of mitochondrial issues instead.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:21 am

Ettina wrote:
I think media hype has overblown their results. I've seen plenty of research articles identifying a cause for autism where the news stories refer to the research as having found the cause for autism. Honestly, trying to find the cause of autism is like trying to find the cause for mental retardation. Both are basically just symptoms that can result from hundreds of different underlying conditions.

What's this? Someone on wrongplanet.net who actually kinda gets it?

8O

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 9:54 am

Quote:

Gets what?

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

The moment you see someone claim that autism is caused by something "not working", you know it's BS.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

I already know the real cause of autism and...

... I can cure all of you.

Now, who has paypal? :D

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:53 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Gets what?

Autism.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

Amazingly enough, the only lawsuit that I know of that was won because of vaccines, the child had mitochondrial disease...hmmm...And I read some about it years ago and mitochondrial disease seemed to be genetic.