Is it normal to approach dogs at the walk by?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 9:25 pm

Zen wrote:
I have no idea why it would be immature to pay attention to animals. They aren't child's toys; they're animals. I like them better than humans myself. My cousin used to have a cat who didn't like anyone but me.

For that matter, what is really wrong with playing with toys as an adult anyway? It doesn't hurt anybody. Why the big deal?

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2011, 9:31 pm

sandrana wrote:
do you think we have some sort of ability to read animals differently than NTs? Or that our awkward gait/movements are somehow more appealing or less threatening? I've met many pets who 'aren't friendly' who will come right up to me but run away from others...although I guess maybe the other humans that these animals meet might not be animal lovers and don't know how to deal with critters..

I think we seem less threatening to them, at least in general. I suspect it might be why NTs also find us threatening at times, they can't read us like animals do. Like we can read animals a bit better, animals can read us a bit better, NTs can't read us very well, and a lot of NTs I know seem to have more difficulty than I do reading animals unless animals are their special interest (and then often only the species of animal that's their special hobby).

I'm not afraid of animals, not even the wild ones. Careful of course if they are able to hurt me that I don't corner them or spook them, but not afraid. Animal predators seem to pick up on fear as well as their human counterparts, and I can sometimes sense that NTs I'm with are afraid of the animal, because it will react not to me, but to the other person. Even if the other person was further away than I was. I do notice I have more of a connection with wilder animals. I like dogs, and I can usually read them OK, but I feel like I 'get' animals that are less.. human, if that makes any sense.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 9:56 pm

My psychologist reckons people, who are compassionate with animals, are more compassionate people in general. I have always loved animals and felt drawn to them, more so than to people. They feel "safer" than being around humans. Probably because animals can only inflict physical pain, and usually only when threatened, whereas humans can inflict emotional pain, which is worse in some cases.

doeintheheadlights
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 6:25 am

Snivy wrote:
I always ask the owners before petting them, it's common sense. Just like how humans can read the body language of others. While I'm not good at reading cues, I can read the body language of other animals. If a dog is wagging its tail and arches backward, he wants to play. If he stares at you with his tail upright, and his body still, he's being wary. If I'm petting a cat and she twiches her tail, she wants me to stop.

I still wouldn't approach a strange dog without permission, you never know if the owner doesn't want you petting the dog for another reason. When I first got my dog, I didn't want anyone disturbing us when we were doing lead training. He was a friendly dog, and welcomed people approaching him, but it was a distraction from our training session so I always said no please don't. Plus sometimes there are aggressive dogs who don't give the classic signs of an aggressive/wary dog, they'll just attack.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 7:43 am

theWanderer wrote:
What's wrong with petting cows? I used to walk past a field with a single cow in it, and I'd stop to pet her and to say hello.

Stop my motorcycle on the shoulder, and walk over to a few feeding cows.

That sounds like a wonderfully not weird thing to do.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2011, 8:28 am

I love most animals but hate dogs and birds. Dogs coz I got bitten by a friends dog many years ago and I hare it when they bark and bird coz they have horrible freaky feet.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm

doeintheheadlights wrote:
Snivy wrote:
I always ask the owners before petting them, it's common sense. Just like how humans can read the body language of others. While I'm not good at reading cues, I can read the body language of other animals. If a dog is wagging its tail and arches backward, he wants to play. If he stares at you with his tail upright, and his body still, he's being wary. If I'm petting a cat and she twiches her tail, she wants me to stop.

I still wouldn't approach a strange dog without permission, you never know if the owner doesn't want you petting the dog for another reason. When I first got my dog, I didn't want anyone disturbing us when we were doing lead training. He was a friendly dog, and welcomed people approaching him, but it was a distraction from our training session so I always said no please don't. Plus sometimes there are aggressive dogs who don't give the classic signs of an aggressive/wary dog, they'll just attack.

I understand this. What I don't get are the owners who apologize profusely for their dogs' enthusiastic greetings.

Aggressive dogs who just attack don't give the signs of a friendly dog either.

doeintheheadlights
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

Verdandi wrote:
What I don't get are the owners who apologize profusely for their dogs' enthusiastic greetings.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I was over at someone's house a few weeks ago and they had a hyper active puppy and they kept him in the kitchen even though they know I love dogs because they didn't want him to disturb me. I love getting slobbered on by crazy dogs. :D

Quote:
Aggressive dogs who just attack don't give the signs of a friendly dog either.

True, but they can still be harder to read than your average dog.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2011, 3:11 pm

Snivy wrote:
It's like every time I see someone's dog, I just want to go pet him. I can't help it. I love dogs, and dogs have a tendency to like me too. I do this all the time when I was younger, and now that I'm an adult, I feel like I'm too old for this, and I need to grow out of it. My peers just stare at me and call me strange, and I'm trying so hard as to not be strange to others. Same with cats. Everytime I see a cat, I'd want to approach it. If it's a feral cat, I'd try to feed them. In college, we have cats all over the place, so I spend my mornings playing with the wild kittens. People just stare at me and call me ret*d. THat implied that I wasn't allowed to go near the animals, but what's an animal lover to do?

Is this normal? Or should I stop the habit?

I volunteer for my local animal shelter where I get to pet several cats and dogs. Fortunately, it's supported by the humane society. Though, if you have pets at home you'll want to wash your clothes before petting them because there are upper respiratory problems and other contagious illnesses that spread among the animals.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I understand this. What I don't get are the owners who apologize profusely for their dogs' enthusiastic greetings.

I think they're scared. A lot of people see enthusiasm in dogs as aggressive and will react very negatively towards the owners, yelling at them that they need to control the dogs better. Some of my family that owns dogs react the same way since a lot of people where they live aren't used to dogs. The owners are probably just worried you're one of those people who are gonna yell at them as soon as the dog acts excited.