Are short tempers typical for aspies?

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:17 pm

I don't express anger toward people, but I do have a relatively short fuse. Things like being asked to make transitions, such as when I'm in the middle of something and get called to dinner, really frustrate me because I hate dropping what I'm doing and it's hard to get back to. I also have a very low tolerance for crowded and/or noisy situations and find myself getting frustrated when people sit next to me on the bus or force me to step around them in the halls. I rarely blow up, but there are lots of little things that occur throughout the course of a day that can make me totally crazy for a few moments, then I'm mostly over it and move on.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 11:26 pm

I can have a very short fuse.

Wreck It Ralph

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 4:21 am

I can have a temper when I have great difficulty solving a problem or completing a task and someone or something buts in and just insists on being extremely unhelpful as to block all progress. I can also have a temper when someone is spouting demeaning insults at me or when someone is just downright wretched like by pushing really rude, cruel or racist viewpoints for example, or when I see someone mistreating others.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm

i am bad-tempered a lot, unless things are going the way i feel comfortable with, which means no nonesense or uncertainty.

that explains why people are always asking why i am with a husband who has adhd, if i am short-tempered and cant stand a hyperactive personality. theres only 3 answers to that: i love him, hes a good worker and good provider, and he understand me more than anyone else.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

I have a red hot temper. And it combines with my panic attacks most of the time. that fight or flight thing usually turns into my vocabulary being used like a weapon and screaming and hand flapping and arm waving.

If I am uncomfortable, and worried and then like lets say someone does something really mean or stupid to me I blow a gasket, really fast and there always tends to be innocent bystanders.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

I do get easily annoyed and agitated, and there are some things that push my buttons. But I use a fright, fight or flight response depending on my surroundings and what people I'm with.

If a close relation pushes my buttons, I use the fight response; flaring up in a rage and letting them know that they have annoyed me.

If an outsider pushes my buttons, I don't react, just sulk inside or get on with it. I keep getting questioned by my family as to why I can keep my temper under control when I'm with my friends or at work, but I lash out at the people I love the most. It's the most confronting question in the world.

catboy777
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Oct 2013, 9:03 pm

I've had problems with my temper. When I was living with my parents still I will get in arguements with my parents. Sometimes my temper would flare. The arguments with my parents would get so bad that my mood would quickly shift and I would start crying. I used to lose my temper with my sister who is younger than I.

sanahasacat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2013, 5:08 pm

Not at all anymore; I used to be pretty easily angered when I was younger (say, 12), but for most of my life including now I've been the total opposite. I honestly think it's been years since I've been genuinley been angry with someone? Idk, I'm very laid-back, to the point it borders on apathy, so chances are, I'm not going to care enough to get mad, haha.

Not autistic at all, but brainweird in a lot of different ways and, besides, I like it here.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2013, 5:47 pm

Very short temper here, and very easily irritated. It takes me a hell of a lot of will power to control it. I do a decent job of it, which makes me proud of myself.

VanAuken1973
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2013, 6:39 pm

My son has a short temper SOME of the time. His new teacher yells and repeats herself loudly at him during class. She says he is unruly, his doctors say he is repeating learned behaviors. He needs help, I want to help him, but can't find anyone to move forward in progress.

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2020, 12:30 pm

I'm autistic and I have a really short temper. It's not that hard to make me angry. Here are some things that trigger my short temper: people cursing at me, being yelled at, people raising their voices at me, being criticized about my clothing or interests, being teased, loud noises, having my hair pulled, falsely accusing me of things, threatening me, people touching me with their toes against my legs, being slapped, being told to shut up for no reason, being bothered (ex: younger sister blocking the tv, taking my stuff, calling me names, etc...), people using the "joking around" excuse to be rude to me and having someone's hands or arms around my neck tightly. My younger sister does most of these things because she probably thinks its funny to see me angry and did it ever since she was little. She's a teenager now and still does it. So annoying and stressful to deal with. When I lose my temper, I start cursing, screaming, shaking and throwing objects on the ground (pillows). If the person making me angry physically touches me (puts hands around neck, kicks me or slaps me), I either punch them, kick them or slap them. This is how I react when my short temper gets really bad unfortunately.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2020, 10:50 am

I have always been moody and have a bad temper. It has caused lots of problems with family and relationships and cost me jobs. It's a lot better now that I'm on antidepressants.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 12:10 pm

I don't naturally have one. When I was young, I had a lot of anger but learned to control it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 12:48 pm

I'm quite patient, unless I'm short on sleep. I never outgrew "tired and grumpy" as a baby. It might help that I mostly tried to understand machines, and they respond even worse to anger than humans do, if at all. However, with machines, calming down and thinking helps, while there may be no rational solution to people problems.
I like what Steve Hofstetter says about redheads having short tempers - "Sure we do - after being teased all our lives!"

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 1:04 pm

I have a temper, but not as short of a fuse as my late mother, who had a hair pin trigger on her temper. However, when I blow up, you’re better off suffering the wrath of God, since, after his wrath subsided, he is merciful.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 3:01 pm

I am very, very hard to anger. Annoy? Sure, that's easy. But to get me to the point where I'm truly angry? That's a lot harder. Granted there are some things that are guaranteed to do it (like talk of, joking about, or actually doing cruelty to animals), but overall, I think I'm actually a lot more patient and understanding than the average person. I guess this is yet another way I'm atypical even among others on the autism spectrum.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"