Do Aspies tend to have darker than average eyes?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:05 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
M eyes shift between green and dark hazel. But I don't think they have anything to do with my Aspergers.

Loving the Ratchet & Clank in your avatar pic.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 5:10 am

Great, that's why people are mesmerized by our eyes. We look like Anime characters. Who wants to be Goku? Hah! :) Chi-Chi maybe? :wink:

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 6:01 am

cw10 wrote:
One thing I did notice was a larger than "normal" iris aperture in most of those images. A good deal of those photos were taken under a good light source, you'd think their irises would close a little more. Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Someone else posted here on this thread that they have unusually wider iris aperture under normal lighting conditions.

I for one don't like high light conditions. I sit here typing in the dark with only the monitor and a 60 watt bulb for company, and I try and avoid the sun as much as possible. It's too bright up there. :( I don't like certain warehouse stores for the same reason. All that extra florescent lighting.

It's not the brightness with fluorescent lights but the flicker which seems either to be not visible or not bothersome to most normal people.

Quote:
I could see there being a link, I don't think it's genetic, I think it could just be an artifact of the syndrome. The eye's are a window to the soul so they say, but they're also part of your brain. I wish Ms. Grandin was here to chime in on this. :)

Why? Cattle and abattoirs are more her area of expertise I believe.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:30 am

nemorosa wrote:

Indeed, and she also knows a lot about autism.

Fragmented
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 1:37 am

I'm blue eyed, and they're lightly blue eyed. My grandfather was (probably as he was an engineer) AS or some variation, and he had blue eyes too, and my other grandfather who I have no idea about as he died before I was born, also had blue eyes. I got the genes.

So, yeah, I don't think it really has anything to do with it.

HOWEVER: I think the meaning behind darker eyes means that we have a more vacant or perhaps a darker look in our eyes, or as my NT neice described another person: "he has those kind of eyes that you can't read."

We notice the things NTs take for granted, we see the world in a completely different way, I imagine our eyes are weird in many ways, or at the very least the way our brain interprets what the eyes see. Either way.

Aspie Score: 170 of 200
NT Score: 37 of 200

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:41 am

cw10 wrote:
nemorosa wrote:

Indeed, and she also knows a lot about autism.

Not really.
Her expertise is in animal science, and her constantly-likening Autists with animals is pseudo-scientific at best and irresponsible and insulting at worst.

to his Interest."

Lunasa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

Well, my eyes are pretty dark, (maybe darker) than usual with an amber flare.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

cw10 wrote:
Madao wrote:
I've got greenish blue eyes. I don't think dark eye color correlates with autism. Dark brown eyes are a dominate feature in people. You might of known less Aspies with blue eyes because lighter eye color is a recessive feature.

Also note the variety of eye colors in this video...

One thing I did notice was a larger than "normal" iris aperture in most of those images. A good deal of those photos were taken under a good light source, you'd think their irises would close a little more. Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Someone else posted here on this thread that they have unusually wider iris aperture under normal lighting conditions.

I for one don't like high light conditions. I sit here typing in the dark with only the monitor and a 60 watt bulb for company, and I try and avoid the sun as much as possible. It's too bright up there. :( I don't like certain warehouse stores for the same reason. All that extra florescent lighting.

I could see there being a link, I don't think it's genetic, I think it could just be an artifact of the syndrome. The eye's are a window to the soul so they say, but they're also part of your brain. I wish Ms. Grandin was here to chime in on this. :)

OR, I'm just seeing things... again. I do <3 all this feedback.

In this case i'm the opposite. My pupils are always small, even in darkness. In fact i need of a lot of light when i work and i can't stand sunglasses. I can't see.
But it seems i'm very low sensitive to light. Even with substance that make my pupils dilated (like sight visits) i'm not much annoyed by light. Eyes of my mom and my brothers are in tears when they have dilated pupils.

Talking about anime, so it is not that wrong that they draw L Lawliet with over-dilated pupils.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Oh, I've got the darkest eyes.

The year is still young.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

My eyes are a blue, green and brown mix. Pretty light in color.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
On another thread somewhere is says something about Aspies having brighter eyes.

Some WP members try to invent physical features to make Autistics look like they're born different. Autism really doesn't work that way. I physically look as normal as any other human being. Nothing stands out at all.

Actually, this is not 100% accurate, although the stuff you're calling out really does have nothing to do with autism. :D

Morphological features in children with autism spectrum disorders

Quote:
This study was designed to examine morphological features in a large group of children with autism spectrum disorder versus normal controls. Amongst 421 patients and 1,007 controls, 224 matched pairs were created. Prevalence rates and odds ratios were analyzed by conditional regression analysis, McNemar test or paired t-test matched pairs. Morphological abnormalities were significantly more prevalent in patients with autism than in the normal control group and 48 morphological features distinguished patients from controls. Our findings show that morphological features are associated with autism. Exploring potential underlying genetic mechanisms of this association might lead to a better understanding of autism.

Same study discussed here:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt129940.html

Which is to say, most of the traits people ask about have nothing to do with autism, but there are traits that occur more frequently in autistic people than in NTs. Nothing that could be used for diagnosis, however.