Is it normal for autistics handwriting to look like trash?

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 6:29 am

I can only write cursive, which is largely illegible for anybody, except for me. If I write slowly, it is better, but nowhere near neat. It is as if I don't see the line and space before my eyes, don't feel the direction of my hand, my letters are of different size, spaced randomly and out of line. My poor motor skills only add to this.

Spork
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2011, 10:41 am

I have Dysgraphia, so obviously my hand writing majorly sucks. In order to keep my writing neat I write slowly and very small, my handwriting is so small nobody can read it.
But at least it's sort of neat. I also find writing for more than a few minutes very painful.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

My handwriting is horrible. I learned cursive in elementary school (we were forced to use it back in the day) and abandoned it by high school. I replaced it with printed letters which quickly became illegible (like my handwriting). I found if I wrote smaller, it was better but soon that also became illegible. I then replaced it with all capitalization (which I do today). The problem is if I write slow enough to look good, my brain goes faster than my hand and I start to write the wrong letters. :roll:

So now I type whenever possible... :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Most people's handwriting looks like trash. My boss wrote me out a letter, and I couldn't read a thing on it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Most people's handwriting looks like trash. My boss wrote me out a letter, and I couldn't read a thing on it.

No. a lot of people have bad handwriting, but on average people with ASDs have worse handwriting than NTs.

MissWiggy
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

I haven't been able to read all three pages but I have another question about handwriting....

My handwriting isn't usually that bad, but I don't think it has ever been the same for more than a few months... does anyone else have that problem? Throughout the years it has always changed form... sometimes looking similar to some of my school teachers etc coz I was just copying what was written on the board... and because I liked the style, I automatically switched to using it...

It's always bothered me that this instability could become problematic, since I could never prove in a court of law that something I've written is actually mine :lol:

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

My handwriting is so bad that when I got to college, I gave up on it and went back to printing class notes because I could print faster than I could write, not to mention the fact that I could not read my own handwriting. The rest of my family all had beautiful handwriting, especially my dad. I might add that I am 60 years old too, so I grew up in a time when handwriting was routinely used. These days some schools do not even teach it anymore according to an NBC news item a few days ago. It has been so long since I have written in cursive that I can no longer do it at all and even signing my signature is difficult for me to do... and SO sloppy looking.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:41 pm

The only thing I am gratefull for from being in special education was that the teacher was able to help me improve my hand writing ability. It was horrible looking almost moronic looking. :oops:

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
My handwriting is beautiful, a work of art. And a nightmare. I give more focus to writing nicely than to what I'm writing about. My college notes are beautifully presented, but I have no idea what's in them. It's also time consuming because if I make a mistake, then I have to rewrite the whole page.

This is me as well. Not only with letters, but with numbers. Combined with my OCD for organization, I used to do my math homework several times because if it didn't look properly neat and organized on the page I would simply lose my mind.

If I don't concentrate and my handwriting is not perfect, I don't let anyone see it. I don't know why. One of my many obsessions.

--------------------------------

AQ 45/50
EQ 12/80
FQ 26/135
SQ 56/80

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

My handwriting was atrocious until the age of fifteen.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 12:38 am

It's not good at all, it's never been good and it will probably never be good.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

yup! My teachers gave up on trying to get me to hold my pencil properly... Also, I write really, really hard...

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

My writing is inconsistent. Sometimes its neat and readable, but other times even I can't read it. A lot of the times in the same sentence.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

FireBird wrote:
My writing is inconsistent. Sometimes its neat and readable, but other times even I can't read it. A lot of the times in the same sentence.
Same.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

boxxarom
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2011, 12:54 am

Terrible, absolutely terrible. My handwriting is like a chicken got ink on his feet and ran across the paper. lol

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 12:59 am

My handwriting is very bad, and always has been. Also, to this day I struggle greatly trying to write a lowercase Z or Q, and I have always found it hard to write them, I don't know why.