Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Digit lengths?
I have classic autism and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I have classic autism and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I have classic autism and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 12%  12%  [ 20 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 30%  30%  [ 52 ]
I have aspergers and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 15%  15%  [ 25 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
I have pddnos and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 23%  23%  [ 40 ]
I am self-dx or suspect I am on the spectrum and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I am nt and my index finger is longer than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
I am nt and my index finger is shorter than my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I am nt and my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 172

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

mindgame wrote:
On my right (non-dominant) hand, my index finger is shorter than my ring finger, but on my left (dominant) hand, my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger.

Can I vote twice?

Same here, except that the dominance is reversed. So I'm right-hand dominant and the right index and ring fingers are the same length; on the left side, the ring finger is a good centimetre longer.

I have this with everything. The two sides of my body are different in many ways: the hair grows in different directions on the two sides, the limbs are longer on one side than on the other, I have a single simian crease on one palm but two creases on the other, the joints are fragile and prone to dislocation on one side but not the other, I am stronger on my non-dominant side than on my dominant (apparently the opposite is usually true), and I get asthma in one lung but not the other. I also get head colds where only one side of my nose runs. Is all this true of anyone else, or am I a bit of a one-off? :lol:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

My ring finger is longer, but not by much, and that's normal for males.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Moonpenny wrote:
mindgame wrote:
On my right (non-dominant) hand, my index finger is shorter than my ring finger, but on my left (dominant) hand, my index finger is about the same length as my ring finger.

Can I vote twice?

Same here, except that the dominance is reversed. So I'm right-hand dominant and the right index and ring fingers are the same length; on the left side, the ring finger is a good centimetre longer.

I have this with everything. The two sides of my body are different in many ways: the hair grows in different directions on the two sides, the limbs are longer on one side than on the other, I have a single simian crease on one palm but two creases on the other, the joints are fragile and prone to dislocation on one side but not the other, I am stronger on my non-dominant side than on my dominant (apparently the opposite is usually true), and I get asthma in one lung but not the other. I also get head colds where only one side of my nose runs. Is all this true of anyone else, or am I a bit of a one-off? :lol:
Any chance you could be a chimera? I'm pretty symmetrical, except my right pinky finger is 1cm short than my left. Both of them are pretty small, but my right pinky is smaller than my 6yr old's. Also, my hair is more Afro on the right and European curly on the left (I've always to get more cut off the left, as the right breaks off easily).

Moonpenny
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Any chance you could be a chimera?

I'd never heard of a genetic chimera before, but having looked it up, I think it's unlikely. I don't think a chimera would split neatly down the middle – it seems that different types of tissue contain different genetic material, rather than one half of a person being different to the other half. I think I just developed in an asymmetric way. Unless I've misunderstood it completely!

Thank you for giving me some interesting reading material, though, it was fascinating to find out about it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 4:19 pm

I have the "autism" fingers. By quite a bit last time I checked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:19 pm

I must say that this thread is an eye opener for me.

I assumed everyone in the human race had thier index finger as the longest finger- like me.

Never noticed anyone with hands built differently like that.
Ive been staring at my hand and find it hard to even imagine having a ring finger longer than my index finger!

Im officially diagnoised with aspergers. But apparently the few NT's who responded here are the only group who are majority index finger dominant (to coin a phrase) like me. So I gess I have nt hands.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm

Not professionally diagnosed; I'm a male, and my ring fingers and index fingers are within a couple millimeters of each other on both hands, so I voted that they're about the same length. Make of that what you will.

urbanpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2012, 7:31 pm

I am female. I didn't bother to measure my fingers because my index finger is significantly shorter than my ring finger. (I estimate 0.94).

I initially came to this forum because I thought I was an NT kid of AS parents. I think I'm right that my parents have AS, and that I may be the most toward the NT side of my family. Yet, the more I learn, the more I believe that I have AS myself. Realizing the link between AS and the digit ratio (along with premature birth and low birth weight) convinces me that I must have AS in some way. It's shocking yet freeing to realize this, but I relate so much to everyone here.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

urbanpixie wrote:
Realizing the link between AS and the digit ratio (along with premature birth and low birth weight) convinces me that I must have AS in some way. It's shocking yet freeing to realize this, but I relate so much to everyone here.

Of course it is possible that you have AS, but don't just assume so because of your finger ratio. My niece is not on the spectrum and has a substantially longer ring finger than index finger.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

urbanpixie

16 Nov 2012, 7:49 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
urbanpixie wrote:
Realizing the link between AS and the digit ratio (along with premature birth and low birth weight) convinces me that I must have AS in some way. It's shocking yet freeing to realize this, but I relate so much to everyone here.

Of course it is possible that you have AS, but don't just assume so because of your finger ratio. My niece is not on the spectrum and has a substantially longer ring finger than index finger.

Thank you! You're totally right. It's so much more than the digit ratio as to why I think I have AS. I just didn't want to turn the thread into "my life story." It's just that I thought my AS traits were a result of being socialized in an AS family. While that is a big factor, reading about the links to digit ratio, premature birth, low birth weight, and a higher incidence of eating disorders makes me think that my AS traits are biologically based as well.

Hopefully that made sense. I'm actually still confused about all this. Six weeks ago, I didn't know anything about autism at all.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 8:08 pm

My ring finger is significantly longer than my index finger. My mother's ring finger is significantly longer than her index finger.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2012, 9:06 pm

My ring fingers are significantly longer than my index fingers, and I am female, suspected AS (waiting for results).

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:47 am

Huh. Weird. Ring finger is longer on both hands. Let me grab a ruler to measure...

ring finger is ~5mm longer than index.

AS Dx, Male.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

This is related:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... s-you.html

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 6:20 am

Both index fingers have the same measurement in my case, as do both ring fingers. My index fingers are 7.2cm and my ring fingers are 6.8cm. Sorry I got confused by measuring wrong fingers and selected the incorrect poll option.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

wtfid2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 11:29 am

i thin this is a case of causation does not equal correlation. What I mean is en are more frequently diagnosed and men usualy have longer rings.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 111 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits