who's making a living from their aspie talent ?

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:41 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
shrox wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
I've found that irritating the hell out of NTs doesn't pay that well.

But what if you got paid for irritating the hell out of NTs, could be some good money there.

Hell yeah. Let me know if there's ever a market for it. :twisted: :twisted:

Reality TV but get in quick it's finally losing it's appeal 10 years and going ? dead by 2015 ?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:59 pm

aussiebloke wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
Nothing I'm useless at everything and I don't care.

what is worse than that, is to be useful at something but for nobody to give a good god-damn about it. :hmph:

Most people? :D

:huh:

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2011, 9:13 pm

Well, I really love drama and I'm good at it. I had wanted to be a drama teacher but my mum thought because of my Aspie traits I won't be able to do it. One day I did some research and found out about drama therapy for autistic children to help them with social skills. At that I thought drama therapist would be the perfect job for me. I would be helping people who are like me in a way to get by in life, and I'd be using what I love to do so.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

06 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

what is worse than that, is to be useful at something but for nobody to give a good god-damn about it. :hmph:

He answered the "hidden question"... "what is worse than that(?)"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 9:29 pm

swbluto wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

He answered the "hidden question"... "what is worse than that(?)"

oh. :oops:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

NZaspiegirl016 wrote:
Well, I really love drama and I'm good at it. I had wanted to be a drama teacher but my mum thought because of my Aspie traits I won't be able to do it. One day I did some research and found out about drama therapy for autistic children to help them with social skills. At that I thought drama therapist would be the perfect job for me. I would be helping people who are like me in a way to get by in life, and I'd be using what I love to do so.

Heh, whenever someone tries to tell it's impossible for me to do something I just go ahead and do it anyways. Stubbornness and a desire to prove people who want to stop you wrong can make you do things that you had no idea you were capable of and after you do it you still have no idea how you did it. Actual need is another thing that can make you do amazing things.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

Simonono wrote:
I want to have a career in cartoon drawing, but there isn't anything for it in the UK.

I wish I could find someone to draw the cartoons for my cartoon ideas. I would love to publish a book of these cartoons. Of course there would be a 50/50 share in any profits made from the book. I think it would be neat---a cartoon book by autistic individuals.

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm

My 2nd, part-time career is professional acting. I probably make a couple grand a year from it - enough for gas and fun stuff, but not really "making a living".

HunTheBun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2011, 5:05 am

Admittedly, I don't have a full-time paid job however I am in the process of getting there. My special interest is horses and at the moment I am just competing and getting paid to ride others horses. I have got myself a well known UK sponsor which will hopefully raise my profile in the equine world. Looking ahead I would ideally like to be producing dressage ponies for the junior and young rider teams.

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2011, 5:41 am

Ganondox wrote:

Heh, whenever someone tries to tell it's impossible for me to do something I just go ahead and do it anyways. Stubbornness and a desire to prove people who want to stop you wrong can make you do things that you had no idea you were capable of and after you do it you still have no idea how you did it. Actual need is another thing that can make you do amazing things.

well said. i work with lots of CEOs and keep them in line - they like it. many are slightly aspie anyway so they know where i'm coming from.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2011, 5:57 am

LexF wrote:
I've written 7 books, and they're being sold all over the world, and that's been rather useful. I'm not rich and/or famous yet, but things are moving (albeit slowly) in the right direction.

I also do a lot of editing and proofreading for other people. You'd be surprised how much people are willing to pay you to edit something, once you've had a few books of your own published.

What are your books about?

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2011, 7:13 am

I would love to develop games for a living. Games are definitely my special interest/obsession. And I don't mean just playing them. Everything about them interests me, from coming up with ideas, drawing concept art, working out the mechanics, putting on the finishing touches, and everything in between. When I say that I want to study game design, too many people assume that I just want to play games for a living.

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2011, 9:27 am

yes, I have my SI with computers and network, so IT is what I am and what I do. These days I am a Operations IT Coordinator for a company which archives and digitalize the documents any company needs to archive for at least 10 years, but need to optimise the room and cannot store sooo much paper documents and as well need fast electronical access to these documents. So, the company I am working for scans these documents, indexes, validates ad archives them and giving access to them for the customers via Internet ftp or other ways. In order to run such a scanning track factory, these scanners and computers and server etc. and different software in use, needs to run without error for the employees to work with. But no, nothing runs perfect all the time. New contracts, new scanning jobs needs new configs, new software, new ways to get the jobs done and so the IT has to keep up to it. But every department aand everyone was communicating with the IT for themselfs and it all was pretty uncoordinated and too much time got lost dealing with IT errors and communication errors. Now, my job got created because of this mess. I am the one who has the business and the IT knowledge, as well speaking both languages. The company sits in Germany where I work, but the head of IT and many IT departments are in the UK. So, I speak english and german and exactly needs that every day. So, I do this call/ticket management and coordinating of all the dayly issues. Very stressy to do this partly as a callcentre and IT Management centre. But I am of use, much of use and things are getting done this way better.

- Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
I am an IT and Aviation Nerd!
- Asperger diagnosis / Autism spectrum diagnosis official 04/2016
- self diagnosis 2008

CrayzeeL3ggz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

I taught myself ecommerce architecture and webmester'd a network of websites that grossed a century less than 7 figures in 2009.

8O

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

ME! And I'm SO excited about it. John Elder Robison is writing the forward to my book! I'm writing a book!

CambridgeMAsspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2011, 2:32 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
I've found that irritating the hell out of NTs doesn't pay that well.

It's posts like this one that make me think we need a Facebook-style "Like" button on WP.