Poll ended at 25 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

perpetualconfusion
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2012, 8:19 pm

@ Emiliania, I congratulate you on not only being a shooting enthusiast; but actively shooting in Canada. I know regulations there are stringent. enjoy your hobby! 8)

@Apple_in_my_Eye, my own upbringing was similar to yours with a dad in the military and strict instruction in handling firearms. It's a great skill and requires a lot of focus :arrow: I think it works out well for most of us :D .

Good times for those that shoot. I sure enjoy it as well :) .

I also support those of you who feel you should not have firearms.
It's not for everyone, but it is a 2nd amendment right here in the USA 8) .

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Jan 2012, 12:20 pm

leviathans wrote:
I'm a Canadian and like most Canadians I disapprove easy accessibility to guns and I don't understand why America is so obsessed with firearms.

We're obsessed with personal rights, and personal responsibility, and we dislike government interference in our lives and livelihoods. I don't know if we're any more or less obsessed with firearms than we are of any other hobby item or collectible. The great thing about the USA attitude on these things is; we support the right NOT to have guns, just as strongly as we support the right TO have them. It's the rights themselves that we're so obsessed with.

Charles

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:36 am

With my history of depression, my firearm would be used only once.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 1:21 am

1000Knives wrote:
I'd say like 90% of the people on gun forums are Aspies, so yeah, probably.

LMAO I think you're right :lol:

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 2:27 am

NorthPark wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Lucky me, living in WA state with it's surprisingly liberal gun laws, and now I can even use my silencers.

I don't get why CA (or KAlifornia in gun forums) is so gun unfriendly.

Because the rate of gun related deaths in CA is considerably lower then in most of the redneck (pro gun) states. Especially considering the size of the state. That makes most Californians feel safer, and we would like to keep it that way.

For some strange reason pro-gun people, seem to only feel safe when people are getting shot and killed around them.:roll:

:arrow: Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 (most recent) by state

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 3:09 am

One must look at the overall murder rate rather than the weapon used (logically).

Doesn't matter if you're perforated by high velocity heavy metals, vaporized by an alien blaster or hit over the head with a club. Dead is dead.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 3:10 am

I would not own a firearm. I see no purpose to it, and they are costly. Or maybe an old matchlock musket, but that would not be for any practical purpose.

However, I don't think people with ASD should be kept away from guns.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 10:34 am

I answered no, that I would not personally own a firearm.

I'm terribly afraid of guns. Even if one was locked in a cabinet with the safety on, I would constantly worry about someone getting their hands on it, or irrationally, the gun just going off by itself. I was in a room ONE time with someone who owned a handgun, and it was enough for me. I had a panic attack.

Also, I don't think I'd be able to handle the sound or kickback. That alone would make me afraid to pull the trigger.

In terms of protection, I think I'd have a better shot with a big ole' baseball bat. As hunting goes, I would NEVER. If you want to kill your own food, why not do it with weapons fashioned by your own hands? Not that I'd personally support that either, but it would be far less disgusting than the act of hunting is currently, and I'd at least have slightly more respect for the people who do it. Better yet, if we humans are supposed to eat meat, why don't you go catch and kill that deer with your bare hands?

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Tixylix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2012, 1:34 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
according to Homer Simpson if we didn't have guns to protect ourselves the King of England could just walk into your house anytime and start pushing you around-Homer is a wise man.

England doesn't currently have a king, we have a queen and she's 86 and doesn't really do much except go on telly for 10 minutes at Christmas and wave at people occasionally. Bill Bailey said their corgis are trained to attack the poor but then you'd have to get them through US customs so you'd have at least 6 months to prepare.

Having a gun in the UK is significantly less common and I understand it's a bit more difficult than getting one in the US. I wouldn't have one however easy it was because it's far more likely to kill someone in your family than an intruder. I live in an area where someone left a car on our street with the windows rolled down and the door unlocked and in the morning it was still there and not on fire - I don't think I need to worry too much about self-defence.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 3:39 pm

Tixylix wrote:
I wouldn't have one however easy it was because it's far more likely to kill someone in your family than an intruder.

This is absolutely false. Large scale studies have been done on this. You've been duped by misleading statistics Tixy. Gun ban groups include suicides to make the claim in the quote above. But anyone who is determined to commit suicide will still do it in the absence of a gun. The suicide rate in Europe is higher than in the US yet there is strict gun control in many European countries. We could say that in Europe ropes, sleeping pills, razor blades, knives, carbon monoxide, etc are more likely to kill someone in your family than an intruder. You might consider getting rid of your kitchen knives, prescription pills, and car because they are far more likely to kill someone in your home than a gun.

Weiss_Yohji
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2012, 4:19 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
I think that a AR-15 is a bit over the top for hunting,

Perfect for fighting off the Redcoats / Commies / Gummint (delete as applicable) though!

The Second Amendment exists for just that reason: To protect ourselves from our own government should they step on freedom.

I've handled guns before. I've fired live ammo at old Coke bottles filled with water. Not once have I ever had to turn a gun on another human being. Why? Because I was taught gun safety at a young age. My dad was once in Delaware's police academy, and his dad before him was in the Marines during WW2 (He saw no combat). They both owned guns and knew how to use them properly, as do I. To ban guns because someone just might shoot someone else is as ret*d as banning cars because someone might drive drunk. What's next? Banning ropes? Razors? Knives? Legs? Fists? Chairs? Lamps? Piano wires? Bows? Pens?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 5:11 pm

An AR-15 [in .223] is really only a small game rifle, just FYI and all (unless you use specially tailored medium game projectiles, but even then it's still on the light side). 5.56x45mm/.223 is really a low powered round.

Not overkill at all. Probably a very good firearm to use if you have an infestation of bunnies or whatnot in the large paddocks, as you have a flat shooting (.223), low recoiling (.223), reasonably cheap ammo (.223), high capacity (pick off a lot before they go down in their holes), and accurate firearm.

You can do the same thing in a bolt gun in .223, of course.

perpetualconfusion
Raven
Raven

07 May 2012, 7:27 pm

Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
I think that a AR-15 is a bit over the top for hunting,

Perfect for fighting off the Redcoats / Commies / Gummint (delete as applicable) though!

The Second Amendment exists for just that reason: To protect ourselves from our own government should they step on freedom.

I've handled guns before. I've fired live ammo at old Coke bottles filled with water. Not once have I ever had to turn a gun on another human being. Why? Because I was taught gun safety at a young age. My dad was once in Delaware's police academy, and his dad before him was in the Marines during WW2 (He saw no combat). They both owned guns and knew how to use them properly, as do I. To ban guns because someone just might shoot someone else is as ret*d as banning cars because someone might drive drunk. What's next? Banning ropes? Razors? Knives? Legs? Fists? Chairs? Lamps? Piano wires? Bows? Pens?

^^^ This ! Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

To be back to the point; AS/ASD should have an advantage as gun owners, as we are more likely to learn all the finer points about them, especially safety. Care and maintenance as well 8)

The most important thing about firearms is to be truly informed about all aspects involving them and how that fits with you as an individual . It's a personal choice,after all.
If you are not comfortable around them, then it is your choice not to own them. If you do choose to do so, remember these rules when handling a firearm:
(from Col. Jeff Cooper's book)

RULE I: All Guns Are ALWAYS LOADED.

RULE II: NEVER Let the muzzle cover ANYTHING you are not willing to DESTROY.

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER until your sights are on the target.

RULE IV: Be sure of your target and what's beyond it.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:32 pm

The writers of the Second Amendment were thinking about cumbersome smooth-bore, muzzle-loading weapons with paper cartridges. I say it only allows those.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:47 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Tixylix wrote:
I wouldn't have one however easy it was because it's far more likely to kill someone in your family than an intruder.

This is absolutely false. Large scale studies have been done on this. You've been duped by misleading statistics Tixy. Gun ban groups include suicides to make the claim in the quote above. But anyone who is determined to commit suicide will still do it in the absence of a gun. The suicide rate in Europe is higher than in the US yet there is strict gun control in many European countries. We could say that in Europe ropes, sleeping pills, razor blades, knives, carbon monoxide, etc are more likely to kill someone in your family than an intruder. You might consider getting rid of your kitchen knives, prescription pills, and car because they are far more likely to kill someone in your home than a gun.

The OPs statement is absolutely 100% true. Over twice as many people are killed in accidental shootings, then are killed in all legal shootings.

• Suicides: 55.81%
• Homicides: 40.02%
• Accidental: 2.28%
• Legal shootings: 1.09%

• Undetermined: 0.78%

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:00 pm

I hate guns so I picked no