Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Quote:
The transition from winter to summer is also not easy because I don't have a jacket pocket to put my hands in when I walk. I don't know what to do with my arms.

When I am in public all of a sudden I am fully aware of my arms, I always have to have pockets or a bag to put them in. My walking with no one around is unconscious but, as soon as I see someone I become concious of it, and the rhythm goes completely off forcing me to overide it which gives me a back ache.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 1:42 am

One foot in front of the other. :lol: Seriously, I tend to walk on the balls of my feet and toes, which seems to be fairly common amongst Aspies.

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2012, 8:26 am

I walk very funny.

I saw myself walking in a mirror once and I walk very uneven and by body rocks side to side, I even had NTs make fun of how I walk.

Jay_1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2012, 10:05 am

J87 wrote:
Quote:
The transition from winter to summer is also not easy because I don't have a jacket pocket to put my hands in when I walk. I don't know what to do with my arms.

When I am in public all of a sudden I am fully aware of my arms, I always have to have pockets or a bag to put them in. My walking with no one around is unconscious but, as soon as I see someone I become concious of it, and the rhythm goes completely off forcing me to overide it which gives me a back ache.

Yup, exactly. I also recorded myself and tried to act like the webcam wasn't on. It was unusual from that perspective, seeing how I moved and noticed some of my quirks which were a lot more obvious than I thought.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:07 am

Hmm...let's start at the feet... I tend to point my toes outward a little as I walk. I tend to step normally when I have shoes on. When I don't have shoes on, though I walk flat-footed (appropriate, considering I have flat feet), unless I'm walking quickly in which case I tend to walk more on my toes. I don't swing my arms much, and I'll often hold onto my backpack straps or put my hands in my pockets instead. I also slouch slightly as I stand or walk. I tend to look down as well. Speed-wise, I walk fairly quickly most of the time. Also, I have a hard time standing in one place for an extended period of time; I either have to keep moving or I have to lean against something or my back starts to hurt.

I haven't gotten many comments on the way that I walk, aside from the fact that my brother was once able to spot me from afar based solely on my gait. My mom used to nag me about my posture when I was younger as well.

Last edited by FishStickNick on 14 May 2012, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 May 2012, 12:21 am

I've always told that I have really good posture. I never slouch unless I'm feeling especially lazy. And as far as I can tell, my walking seems normal enough.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:02 am

I kind of hunch a bit when I walk people keep telling me to stand strait up but I feel weird and uncomfortable doing that I am more comfortable walking the way I walk.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2012, 1:17 am

ppl say I walk weird.. clunky... got walkin lessons at dr.. think at evry step.. hate it.. did that.. still get same... dont give a damn now..

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 1:36 am

For the most part it's the 'Aspie walk' unless I want to create a buffer around my personal space, then I go on my heels and slam down each step, like punching the gas pedal

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:07 am

People usually tell me i have a strange walk because i move my hips a little too much. Also i tend to walk with my feet pointing inwards. But that's not too obvious, luckily.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:26 am

I walk more of less upright with a very minimum amount of sway in my right arm, and none in my left. Whenever I notice my right arm swaying, I lock it to my hips because I become self conscious of it. Also, I seem to walk faster than most people I know. I always end up at the back of the group, because if I was walking at my own pace, odds are I'd lose them.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 8:38 am

People say I waddle. In High School they called me the penguin.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2012, 8:45 am

I remember being told that I walked funny by a friend's dad when I was a teenager. My dad always made fun of me for the way moved about and sat down (I just kind of fall into my seat--I don't have any "grace" whatsoever).

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 8:59 am

I've no idea.
Nobody's commented on my walking for a very long time.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:38 pm

I have a weird walk due to a scoliosis. My spine is bent backwards as well as sideways. As a result, I'm a bit hunched over, both my shoulders and my pelvis are uneven, and one of my legs is effectively shorter (i.e., higher attached) than the other. When I walk, I have a weird and "unmanly" hip swing, and I tend to drift off to the left and walk into walls if I don't pay attention. I've tried wearing raises in one shoe, but it feels weird and increases my back pain. I also don't swing my arms and let them hang down motionlessly, so I kind of walk like an effeminate zombie :?

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 12:42 pm

Used to have people make fun of it growing up.
I seem to have a strong footprint in my steps. Even if I try and walk quietly I make stamp sounds. It's very embarrassing when wearing shoes because I sound like a woman in high heels.