Why do some NT's wish they were like us ?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 3:29 am

Never in my life have I heard of NT's wanting to have an ASD. o_O

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:18 am

I agree with what some have said about NTs with no lives wanting to have it, essentially.

I don't think an NT CEO wants to have it, lol.

In some cases people are looking for an explanation or excuse for their shortcomings and failures in life, and "anxiety and depression" don't explain enough.

Also though, some NTs really do have these traits. I just think a lot of self-diagnoses are made unnecessarily. I can think of many successful people I've known who were definitely on the BAP.

It's about the way we we perceive information. I am an NT with some traits, I don't know how many NTs are actually ont eh BAP since it's not something a person is labelled with but I would guess around 20%. It's easy to wonder if you have the disorder when you actually do have some autistic traits and start talking with very high functioning Aspies.

But yes, it is cool to have a disorder or "problem" now, no matter what anyone says. People are almost treated with more respect if they're "suffering" with something.

HDTV...

Whatever.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:56 am

Quote:
Why do some NT's wish they were like us ?

who is "us" ? i will not accept anyone talking on behalf of me. i am not like anyone. but anyway....

it is due to the general idea that AS is correlative with higher IQ in conjunction with lower social ability, and that mix of attributes is very attractive to many people.

as time goes on, more and more people will identify with AS, and i am not looking forward to that time.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 11:04 am

I can honestly say I've never felt any person with an NT-type mindset has ever given me the impression that they wanted to be like me. On the contrary they've usually given me the impression they have an attitude of neutrality, sympathy or derision but never envy! lol
I know for a fact I don't possess the sufficient quantities of the traits that society generally values eg looks, charisma, wit, warmth, hence I'm not generally seen as someone they want to be like.

Occasionally someone will say I'm well-read or intelligent but it's more as if they're trying to pay me a compliment or boost my confidence as opposed to being actively envious of my abilities.

I understand the NT/average person's mindset well enough and it seems to me to be a lot more aggressive, manipulative and aquisitive than my own so I can understand why they don't see much to impress them in me as I'm generally the opposite.

If I felt an NT was acting like they wanted to be more like me I'd immediately be very suspicious that they were playing around with me and trying to set me up for a fall as in their minds I know I'm 'one down' to them so there's no logical reason that they'd be looking up to me except as some kind of a joke. You have to understand the mindset of these people to avoid being f-ked over by them. People who continually try and be exactly like them without the neurological or temperamental resources to do so will usually come badly unstuck.

I prefer to know my own limitations and stay in the 'shallow end' with the nice, tolerant people
as whenever I try and play in the 'deep end' with typical NT or wannabe NT types I invariably come off worst!

A person who has NT types looking up to them and wanting to be like them has sufficient NT traits to be 'one of the gang' already in my opinion ie you are already conforming/fitting in a lot more than you think you are, as demonstrated by the acceptance

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:42 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
No one really wants to be like us, they just want to be special or not classed as normal. Are these people by chance teenagers?

This.

When I was a teenager (which was a wee while ago now, so perhaps things have changed) it was cool to have (or pretend to have) an eating disorder or self harm or be a bit 'different'. Fast-forward 10 years and those things are definitely not cool any more. People don't think you're 'edgy' they just think you're disturbed. Because some teenagers and to an extent teenage culture has fetishised these things, it makes being an adult sufferer even harder because there is an idea that these things are attention seeking behaviours that mature people grow out of. I find it very frustrating.

It was frustrating for me when I was a teenager...as people would accuse me of just faking or whatever simply because I was at that age, even though yeah I'm depressed now I was depressed before.

SmOkiNjOe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2012, 5:45 am

I'll let you into a little secret seeing you seem to be missing the answer yourselves:

I've heard my partner saying she sometimes wishes she was autistic..... when she is at her wits end, tired of the continual bombardment of inappropriate behavior.

Examples:

The larder and refrigerator constantly being robbed, packets of food opened and fingered. Toilets being messed up and left, whole toilet rolls shoved down the loo. Being bitten, slapped, pushed around. The continual selfishness..... the list is endless.

What people mean when they say "I wish I was autistic" or "I wish I was AS"......... this is SARCASM....... Like "Wouldn't it be nice just for once that I could do what the hell enters my head without having to worry on what impact it has on others.... then have people cooking, cleaning for ME, waiting on ME hand and foot for a change."

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2012, 5:55 am

SmOkiNjOe wrote:
I'll let you into a little secret seeing you seem to be missing the answer yourselves:

I've heard my partner saying she sometimes wishes she was autistic..... when she is at her wits end, tired of the continual bombardment of inappropriate behavior.

Examples:

The larder and refrigerator constantly being robbed, packets of food opened and fingered. Toilets being messed up and left, whole toilet rolls shoved down the loo. Being bitten, slapped, pushed around. The continual selfishness..... the list is endless.

What people mean when they say "I wish I was autistic" or "I wish I was AS"......... this is SARCASM....... Like "Wouldn't it be nice just for once that I could do what the hell enters my head without having to worry on what impact it has on others.... then have people cooking, cleaning for ME, waiting on ME hand and foot for a change."

True in a very extreme situation but some NTs also like uniqueness

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2012, 6:13 am

I can think of some (twisted) reasons:

To justify failures in life;

To feel part of some special group BS. Here I include those who call NTs "herd, mediocre, masses etc";

Because they have NO IDEA what the Hell it's like, so they take a romantic, illusory view of what it is to live with AS;

whatever/don't care. (I obviously do care, since I wrote this... but this was my failed attempt at humor) :D

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2012, 6:33 am

mike_br wrote:
I can think of some (twisted) reasons:

To justify failures in life;

To feel part of some special group BS. Here I include those who call NTs "herd, mediocre, masses etc";

Because they have NO IDEA what the Hell it's like, so they take a romantic, illusory view of what it is to live with AS;

whatever/don't care. (I obviously do care, since I wrote this... but this was my failed attempt at humor) :D

Seems very logical and quite funny.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:14 am

Well, I think it's the intellect thing. It's more pronounced in Taiwan, where we value brains a lot, even as teens. And I am a good clown with a sharp tongue. It somehow makes me very popular with my peers.

Xyzzy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2012, 1:08 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
Well, I think it's the intellect thing. It's more pronounced in Taiwan, where we value brains a lot, even as teens. And I am a good clown with a sharp tongue. It somehow makes me very popular with my peers.

Interesting. I hadn't really made the cultural connection before. I did a lot of work around the world and I was always more comfortable in Asian countries (even though I'm a 6'4 blond european male with a beard and physically feel like an ox trampling the villagers in come countries :) But I've always felt more in-tune and "normal" in places like Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, etc. I just assumed that it was because people were generally more respectful and less likely to react to idiosyncrisies than Europeans or Americans (North or South). Ironically, my management in the US praised me for my exceptional ability to work with my counterparts in these countries and attributed it to my "High emotional intelligence" (lol!).

In retrospect, I very definitely felt like intelligence, respect and a smart sense of humor were more valuable than social or political skills. If anything, my socially agile "schmoozing" peers were often treated like a worthless annoyance.