Does a really bad memory have anything to do with aspergers?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 1:43 pm

I had great short term memory until I was about 12 or 13. I could remember each and every time I got in trouble and hope my mom would forget because I would remember. I was in 6th grade and during recess I was playing soccer and got knocked in the head with the ball and passed out for a second. I'm not sure if that or puberty made my brain suck since then at remembering things, but it's possible I have some brain trauma as well. It's possible some of my aspie traits could be related to that trauma (have to stop to process stuff in order to think what to do next). I know an NT who has a horrible memory, and I know NTs with better working brains than mine. I have to write stuff down and have to remember to use a calendar, but I forget to check it. My long term memory is fine though; it must be harder to damage.

All in all, I would say, not an autism thing.

arko5
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

I think there's a problem when you talk about memory in that it can mean very different things to different people, so when someone says they have a 'bad memory' it can be hard to actually know what they mean. The same is true when asking if poor memory is linked to autism, to give a good answer you have to first break down 'memory' into its various components.

There is a link between poor episodic memory and poor working memory with autism (see the essay I posted earlier for an overview if you want). I think there's also a link between poor prospective memory (memory that you have to do something in the future) and autism, possibly related to the episodic or working memory issues. I think prospective memory is what people are generally referring to when they say they have poor memories (i.e. they forget that they have to pick up milk, or something like that, kind of like absent-mindedness).

Other areas of memory are normal to greater than average in autism, for example semantic memory (memory for facts) is normally fine as far as I know (in fact I think autistic individuals may rely on semantic memory to compensate for deficits in other areas).

Personally I have quite poor episodic and working memory, I also have poor semantic memory for 'general knowledge'. However my semantic memory for things I'm interested in can be excellent (sometimes I can read an article or textbook chapter and just memorise it, simply because it was interesting - I wish I could turn this on when I needed it :)). Weirdly I can also memorise piano music effortlessly, no idea why but I'm not complaining.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:22 pm

I have an excellent, almost photographic memory.

You could have executive dysfunction as others have suggested, and being distracted is another AS trait, and others have already suggested stress/anxiety. When you walk into a room and forget what it was you had to say, that could be the plain old communication problems. If I look at people when I'm talking I tend to become unfocused and anxious and can't remember what I have to say. I am far better at written communication than I am verbal communication.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

In the past I have read that ASD is related to poor short term memory and better long term memory. This was true for me on testing in the past.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

ADD.

ADD is most often associated with short term memory events, but the description you give for not being able to recall things from distant past such as during job interviews fits too. Though one may be able to ponder old memories to one's heart's delight while simply daydreaming or just meditating, ADD often causes severe problems recalling even long term memories on demand especially in high pressure environments like interviews or during testings.

ADD is very often co-morbid with AS. I have both and it's a royal pain.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Poor short term memory but good long term memory is common with AS.

At my recent 40th high school reunion, I was talking to one of the top students in my class. It surprised me that she had no recollection of who was in which classes with her 40 years ago.

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 5:50 pm

MrXxx wrote:
ADD.

ADD is most often associated with short term memory events, but the description you give for not being able to recall things from distant past such as during job interviews fits too. Though one may be able to ponder old memories to one's heart's delight while simply daydreaming or just meditating, ADD often causes severe problems recalling even long term memories on demand especially in high pressure environments like interviews or during testings.

ADD is very often co-morbid with AS. I have both and it's a royal pain.

This is true, ADD and AS are linked. Some professionals are suggesting that ADD is a lesser cousin of AS. I also have both and agree with you fully that it is a royal pain at times. An example of this for me is if there is something I need to study or learn, I cannot do it with the TV or radio on because I will get too distracted. It is best if I am in a quite room without any other people.

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 6:01 pm

unduki wrote:

I don't know about bad memory having anything to do with autism. I am cursed with a very good memory. I know a lot of NT's who don't have good memories and find they pretty much don't always like to remember the actual truth of something. They can get pretty mean about it, too, but maybe this is just human. I don't like to be told I'm wrong when I think I'm right.

Do you think in pictures? I have a friend that is NT and also has a very good memory. He also sometimes says it's a curse to have a good memory because he is not able to forget about bad memories. Is this why you say it is a curse? I guess when you have a good memory you don't get to choose what to keep and what not too.

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

arko5 wrote:
That's quite interesting, I can't picture anything at all really and I have wondered if that relates to my poor memory. One of the reasons I wonder if keeping a diary would help improve episodic memory is because it might force you to encode the memory in an easier format to retrieve (words rather than pictures).

As a side note I was given an ipod touch by disability services (which I get during my time at university), which does help a lot with the working memory problems. I initially thought it was a bit of a gimmick (but I wasn't about to turn down one for free :D) but it's been quite surprising how much it can help (just having a calendar at all times makes a big difference). I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy one, but similar gadgets (or even keeping a written organiser on hand) might make life easier.

edit: one more thing, there does seem to be growing evidence that poor episodic memory is related to depression, with depressed people remembering fewer and less specific autobiographical memories. I did wonder if this could be linked to the prevalence of depression in autistic individuals (which is unfortunately quite high). Of course there are other explanations for that (social skills being the predominant one), but it is quite intriguing.

I have an aspie friend who does not think in pictures. He remembers things better if he hears it opposed to reading it. Are you this way? For me I do better if I read it because one, I am seeing it and sometimes I can recall the page in my mind but also because I can control the speed of my reading and I can easily reread parts I did not get the first time.

I also have prosopagnosia. No matter how hard I try, I cannot remember the details of an individuals face. At least not enough details to distinguish one similar person from another. An example would be 2 middle aged white guys with short brown hair and brown eyes. I don't remember or pick up on facial details like the shape of the eyes or nose or mouth. None of that registers in a memory but I know it is needed to distinguish the two men. It has caused a bit of embarrassment during my life but I do the best I can and hope people will be understanding instead of insulted.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:16 pm

NoGyroApproach wrote:
At least not enough details to distinguish one similar person from another. An example would be 2 middle aged white guys with short brown hair and brown eyes. I don't remember or pick up on facial details like the shape of the eyes or nose or mouth. None of that registers in a memory but I know it is needed to distinguish the two men. It has caused a bit of embarrassment during my life but I do the best I can and hope people will be understanding instead of insulted.

One of the most embarrassed I ever felt because of that was when I was looking for a neighbor after church and stopped to ask his wife if was still there. It turned out that it wasn't his wife I asked, but his 14 year old granddaughter. I did come up from the side instead of directly in front of her, but I still should have noticed the age difference.

NoGyroApproach
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2012, 6:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I always thought bad memory (or lack of) has something to do with Alzheimer's.

The thing with Alzheimer's patients is the people started with a good memory but then, as the person gets older, some sort of physical process starts to errode the memories. I have a friend whose elderly mother is suffering from Alzheimer's. Unfortuneatly his mom does not recognize him when he comes to visit. His mom also does not remember that her husband passed away a few years ago. When someone asks his mom about her husband she says he must be at the store and he'll be back soon.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2012, 6:23 pm

I have a better memory than most people i know.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

NoGyroApproach wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I always thought bad memory (or lack of) has something to do with Alzheimer's.

The thing with Alzheimer's patients is the people started with a good memory but then, as the person gets older, some sort of physical process starts to errode the memories. I have a friend whose elderly mother is suffering from Alzheimer's. Unfortuneatly his mom does not recognize him when he comes to visit. His mom also does not remember that her husband passed away a few years ago. When someone asks his mom about her husband she says he must be at the store and he'll be back soon.

I think that the problems with Alzheimer's are believed to arise from the amyloid plaques found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

I've often wondered why the neurofibrillary tangles wouldn't be sufficient to cause the same problems since the microtubules that form the tangles are responsible for transporting nutrients inside the neuron. It seems logical to me that if you destroy that transport mechanism, then the neuron is going to become progressively worse with no hope of getting better.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 9:25 am

Welcome to WP

Don't know. I have some of those bad short-term memory traits and have mild aspergers. I lived by lists when things became complicated. You need to investigate it and look at the other aspects too.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Nov 2012, 9:27 am

There are certain things I can remember well, and when it comes to more complex stuff, it's easy for me to forget.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

NoGyroApproach wrote:
unduki wrote:

I don't know about bad memory having anything to do with autism. I am cursed with a very good memory. I know a lot of NT's who don't have good memories and find they pretty much don't always like to remember the actual truth of something. They can get pretty mean about it, too, but maybe this is just human. I don't like to be told I'm wrong when I think I'm right.

Do you think in pictures? I have a friend that is NT and also has a very good memory. He also sometimes says it's a curse to have a good memory because he is not able to forget about bad memories. Is this why you say it is a curse? I guess when you have a good memory you don't get to choose what to keep and what not too.

I think in text mostly. I also see sheet music in my mind when I'm performing. I suppose it's a form of pictures. I try to think in pictures when I'm dealing with my dogs, though. I get a better response from them when I'm successful, but to do so takes some effort on my part.