Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

12 and 60 at the same time. Not sure how that makes sense.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Like many people here, I feel like the different aspects of my personality also have different ages. I can be 7, but I can also be 45. Sometimes I actually "forget" how old I actually am, because I often feel like about 30-35. Then I have really mature thoughts and just completely feel like a middle aged woman. And then suddenly I remember "oh right, I'm only 19", and it feels really weird.

But in some aspects I'm really naive and childish. Mostly when I'm happy or excited.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

TheValk wrote:
12 and 60 at the same time. Not sure how that makes sense.

I'm thinkin' becouse maybe we have the mentallty of a child but the intelligence of someone 4x our age on meny topics, combined with not feeling/understanding the social pressure to conform to age standards.

In some ways I think I had to learn/grow up faster as a way to survive school. Maybe that would explain the discrepances in my own mentallity and why I can be a child or a senior but not 23 very well.

Come to think I never had the full mentallty of a child when I was one, maybe thats why I never got along with actual children but I have held onto what I had and continue to explore it. I have hardly changed at all since childhood.

NinaH
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2013, 11:50 pm

Chronologically I am 21 years old.
In terms of maturity I can be older than my own age group peers. I prefer music from the 1960's and 70's, have more of a mature outlook on life and think about everything more deeply. I loathe family guy, south park and jersey shore and the good majority of my age group love these programs. I appreciate old classics such as one flew over the cuckoos nest, science fiction, coronation street, documentaries, history/CI/discovery channels. Most people my age find these boring.
Emotionally I am much younger. I don't know what my age would be considered and it can depend on the circumstances but my management of my emotions and what I can handle emotionally are of someone much younger than 21.
I also think that because we are wired differently we just over and under react to different things, circumstances and situations as well. I can be extremely over sensitive and frightened even, by someone yelling at me or the anger in someone's tone of voice (it's not what they say it's how they say it, it can make me cry) but can stick things out in other situations where NT's would be screaming, shaking or unable to do it.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm

Well, if you went by the way my mom sometimes talks to me, mentally I'm at the level of about 16.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2013, 1:40 am

Mentally-28

socially-15

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:13 am

In some ways I am ancient (like 70+) and other times I am a little 5 year old. I am old because I of my obsessions. I am mainly interested in things that old people are interested in such as the news. I also make older friends... much older. Like in the 40's and 50's. I only have one friend that is younger than me. I am 29 going on 30 next month. I also have the memory problems that old people have and even hot flashes! In the way I am young, much younger than my chronological age is the way I think, act, and intelligence. That is my mental age. My interactions are like that of a child. A lot of people once they find out what I'm like treat me like a little kid. Just in their tone of voice. I can tell. My vocabulary is like a small child as well.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 3:02 am

Same age I've always been.

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2013, 5:05 am

I am 27 but feel that i am much younger in the way that i look at life and sometimes behave like a kid :)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 7:14 am

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
As in development....We have a developmental delay as aspies so while I'm actually 28 I feel about mmmm let's say 19 although some would disagree....

I have never truly felt that I came out of childhood.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

whirlingmind wrote:
SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
As in development....We have a developmental delay as aspies so while I'm actually 28 I feel about mmmm let's say 19 although some would disagree....

I feel the exact same way, whirlingmind.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:58 am

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
SandsOfTheSoul wrote:

I feel the exact same way, whirlingmind.

Yeah, me too. To be honest I don't feel very different to how I was with 12 or 7.

Arrow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

Real: almost 28
I feel like a teenager... 17-18

I am so glad to find I am not alone like that!

autisticyoungadult
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jan 2013, 1:19 pm

Chronologically: 19

Developmentally: 14

TheQuietDreamerx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2013, 2:08 pm

Actual Age: 13
Mental Age: 30-40...sometimes it can change to 9-12 (depending on what my mood is like)

Primall
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

depends on the situation i guess.

Im 24 and sometimes in certain situations i feel like im overly mature compared to others.

But on a daily basis i consider myself still 16-18.

Prob why i like much older people or people younger then me. I dont really have any friends that are my same age. Most are 3 to 4 years younger then me.