Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 2:22 am

Twice gay people have refused to believe me when I said I was not homosexual and sexually harassed me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:18 am

More than I can remember back in the day, yup.

Some people on here even thought I was gay or at least looked like it.

And yes, girls were the first to think I was gay back in the day and no, they weren't accepting of gays back then sadly enough.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:37 am

Extremely rarely, like maybe a couple times in my life.. but they had good reason to suspect it, even though at the time years ago I denied it, because I actually am gay.

It does make sense that being single & uninterested in a lot of typical male stuff may lead someone to question someone's sexual orientation, but I think it's because so many openly gay guys are on the spectrum & part of the reason they're openly gay to begin with is because of their super honest/true to themselves Aspie nature. That's, IMO, a big reason why ppl tend to associate AS traits with gays - whether they realize it or not.

And just for the record I've never been into women's magazines or other effeminate stuff. Just because someone IS actually gay doesn't meant they fit some cookie cutter personality profile composed of stereotypes & cliches.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 3:51 am

Not that I'm aware of.

Though I'd have to interact with people to get to any stage where they'd talk to me (funny that. I'm accused of not talking by people who're socially normal and never said anything to me before that. Irony. Yeah, I don't talk, as I don't have much to say).

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

No. My parents think I'm gay, but I'm not aware of anyone else who does.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 10:25 am

i am gay

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

I've only ever had a couple of people question if I was gay. Both of them being due to not having a girlfriend at the time, as if having a relationship with the opposite sex is some rite of passage. It didn't bother me because I know that there's nothing wrong with being gay.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

People have presumed that I'm Gay many times and those people were right, because I am.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2013, 1:06 pm

I've been hit on by lesbians more than once. Took a while to figure out what was going on.... my husband thinks it's hilarious, but whatever

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 1:52 pm

I am gay, so the question of whether I am sometimes perceived as such because I am aspie is moot.

But I find that there are times that I have to fine-tune my "gaydar" to make sure that I am not picking up an erroneous reading on a straight guy that happens to be something along the lines of a geek, nerd, or aspie. So yeah, I can see where straight people might get misperceptions along those lines.

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2013, 3:34 pm

Actually I am gay and nobody can ever tell, or guess it. Sometimes I wish they could.

I actually believe that ASD makes me seem less 'stereo-typically' gay, believe it or not. I feel like I learnt how to act NT from a young age and I paid close attention to how masculine males walked, spoke and composed themselves.

However, it's irrelevant these days. Less openly gay people conform to a stereotype than ever before.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 11:40 pm

I've wondered lately whether part of the reason my sex life has been so pathetic is because men DO think I'm gay. Women friends tell me frequently that I'm attractive and personable and all I have to do it put myself out there and I'll get results. But that doesn't happen. I haven't had a date in 8 years; I haven't had sex in almost 9 years. If I'm so attractive, what's the problem? I thought about asking my male friends, both the "brick and mortar" ones and the cyber ones, but I'm afraid of what I would hear. Probably that I'm not "girly' enough. But how to fix that? I can't pretend I'm something I'm not.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 1:06 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Twice gay people have refused to believe me when I said I was not homosexual and sexually harassed me.
Jerks. If they had any compassion when they mistook you for gay, they'd assume you were closeted and respect that.

I have had some people think I was a lesbian, but they're not too far wrong; I'm asexual, but it's not out of the question for me to fall in (platonic) love, and it could be another woman if it happens.

The big problem with being asexual isn't that people are prejudiced against it; it's that people don't think you exist. So they say things like, "But if you haven't tried sex, how do you know you don't like it?" or, "It's okay with me if you're gay, really it is; you don't have to be afraid I'll hate you." Or, "Somebody's hurt you, haven't they?"

People don't seem to understand that a person can legitimately not be sexually attracted to anyone. Naturally we are a small minority (about 1-3%, depending on whether you go by the Kinsey "X" or more modern surveys), because if there were any more of us the population would go down, but we really do exist, and there's nothing psychologically wrong with us.

So, yeah, I've been mistaken for gay. Whether I correct them is mostly a matter of whether I have the energy to explain what "asexual" means to somebody who probably hasn't heard the word except as a term for amoebas.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Nov 2013, 1:23 am

ive had a lot of people think im gay. its whatever. ive even had gay guys hit on me, its flattering to know people find me attractive... except in rare occasions where they didnt catch the hint i wasnt interested, then it was awkward. but i just dont see why people use it as an insult. to me, thats the equivalent of calling someone a blonde even if they arent blonde. its asinine and people are dumb. of course if i explain this to someone face to face, chances are they'll think im gay. gotta love society -_-

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 8:14 am

In my school years I was constantly accused of being gay and back then it was the single worst thing you could be. You can just imagine being both Aspie and accused of being gay meant to the bullies: they had a field day because back then gays were treated horribly by everyone.

I also wish I WAS at times because when you go almost 30 years without any (obvious) female attention you start to wonder what the heck is wrong with you. I am VERY straight and attracted to very feminine features and because of the false accusations, all the local girls avoided me in a self-fulfilling prophesy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2013, 10:01 am

Callista wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jerks. If they had any compassion when they mistook you for gay, they'd assume you were closeted and respect that.

Both were situations where alcoholic consumption was involved which brings out jerkiness.

Noticed a lot of people on this site are not "traditionally hetrosexual". Wonder if there is a connection?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman