Personality test and employment/Pet Smart

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 9:55 pm

I'm not sure exactly what a meltdown is. I think the closest thing to it that has happened to me is that I will practically shut down mentally, and feel REALLY upset. I don't even want to talk because word choice, volume, and even order can change. LUCKILY it doesn't get to its extreme very often. It usually happens when I am asked to do something that will take a long time or is IMPOSSIBLE, and I have 5 or more people standing around with the idea that they will be there until I get it done. I often try to make it clear that they are hurting things but, oh well.

BTW although I have met about 6+ people that claimed stress would NOT adversly affect them, I have NEVER known anyone to not be affected adversly. So I can't consider that need simply an AS one.

Anyway, I handle it by trying to muddle through. When asked to do the impossible(like change a running program, make a working program work, change code on a system I have no access to, etc....), things vary. Sometimes I have to figure out how to do someone elses job, or fix something else elsewhere. USUALLY they decide to leave, and I feel better within say 15 minutes, and get back. Sometimes I can go out for lunch, and come back with a solution.

On my last project, I went to the restroom more than I had to, albeit still within norms for most males, SIMPLY to get some rest!

But is there nothing you can do to get a job where you can take similar measures?

BTW I'm watching enterprise(a prequel for Star Trek). At one point a vulcan priest warns the crew to be careful as the andorans would destroy the vulcan heritage more than anyone could imagine if the catacombs were discovered. One crew member said "for people without emotions, you guys have a flair for the dramatic!"

The interesting thing, is that the vulcans really only claimed that they kept them in check!

I guess AS people have the same problem.

Steve

Elsie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2007, 10:05 pm

SteveK wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what a meltdown is. I think the closest thing to it that has happened to me is that I will practically shut down mentally, and feel REALLY upset. I don't even want to talk because word choice, volume, and even order can change. LUCKILY it doesn't get to its extreme very often. It usually happens when I am asked to do something that will take a long time or is IMPOSSIBLE, and I have 5 or more people standing around with the idea that they will be there until I get it done. I often try to make it clear that they are hurting things but, oh well.

BTW although I have met about 6+ people that claimed stress would NOT adversly affect them, I have NEVER known anyone to not be affected adversly. So I can't consider that need simply an AS one.

Anyway, I handle it by trying to muddle through. When asked to do the impossible(like change a running program, make a working program work, change code on a system I have no access to, etc....), things vary. Sometimes I have to figure out how to do someone elses job, or fix something else elsewhere. USUALLY they decide to leave, and I feel better within say 15 minutes, and get back. Sometimes I can go out for lunch, and come back with a solution.

On my last project, I went to the restroom more than I had to, albeit still within norms for most males, SIMPLY to get some rest!

But is there nothing you can do to get a job where you can take similar measures?

BTW I'm watching enterprise(a prequel for Star Trek). At one point a vulcan priest warns the crew to be careful as the andorans would destroy the vulcan heritage more than anyone could imagine if the catacombs were discovered. One crew member said "for people without emotions, you guys have a flair for the dramatic!"

The interesting thing, is that the vulcans really only claimed that they kept them in check!

I guess AS people have the same problem.

Steve

Imagine the worst PMS in a woman, and multiply by 10
That's kinda what an extreme meltdown for me is.
Tears, rage, irrational thinking, insults, aggression, hand flapping, rocking, pacing, and Lord help anyone who gets in the way.
All that triggers anxiety attacks, followed by the shame and embarassment as it subsides, then depressive burn out.
Throw in a threatening migraine for good measure.
I can recall all this for myself because it happened today.
I can't even tell you what triggered it, but it wasn't pretty.
And now, I'm exhausted, and if I did have to work tonight, or tomorrow. I would have to call in sick.
Then the stress and worry about the potential job loss over calling in carries overnight, causing lack of sleep. Possibly more anxiety.
It's a vicious circle.

Of course, this is how it is for me.
Others may have an entirely different experience.

LOL and people wonder why I'm single.... :roll:

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:26 pm

Isnt that a old one steave? or just started coming on there? or this on tape(DVD) lol, Was past that Xindi war was good...

Malcolm Reed
Charles "Trip" Tucker III

I like them the best in it...

Mirror Universe is the last ones I seen

/*
Sure they will not sack(slap what was I thinking lol) you for taking time off...

I can see a use for you hook you up to a Alternator and we got electricity :) been sarcastic by the way,
Steam Powered Internet Machine, screw stress balls the future is Alternators while you let off steam make the world a better place crank your anger on this very well designed Alternative stress machine..
*/

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

15 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm

SteveK wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what a meltdown is.

Everybody definetion and examples will very but it usually means
getting mad or frustrated at a situation and then reacting in a way
that is not to wise. In my case that might involve throwing a heavy
steel object halfway across the building. Working in the remote location of the building on some project that is not critical. Or quiting/walking off the job. Throwing things at home. Slamming doors and running away. Hiding, etc.

Elsie

15 Jan 2007, 10:53 pm

it's not anything new either. i was discussing this with my mom today and she had to take the same things when she was job hunting.
i mean really, the employers do want to have the right person for the job. it's time consuming and expensive to interview, train and then have it not work out.....for both parties

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:59 pm

Here is what it is in definition to what you should be seeing it as, people have different levels of stress (building up anger, frustration, get *** at someone and keep it inside, all the things people do that irritate you) then at the point of exploding depending on how much you held up is the magnitude to the release effect... And really you should find something to blow steam off... Like I play computer games, some people go in the middle of no where and shout they heads off, then come back and say right where were we...

Can call it allot of stuff but it is under (Stress)

Elsie

15 Jan 2007, 11:11 pm

logitechdog wrote:
Here is what it is in definition to what you should be seeing it as, people have different levels of stress (building up anger, frustration, get *** at someone and keep it inside, all the things people do that irritate you) then at the point of exploding depending on how much you held up is the magnitude to the release effect... And really you should find something to blow steam off... Like I play computer games, some people go in the middle of no where and shout they heads off, then come back and say right where were we...

Can call it allot of stuff but it is under (Stress)

i wish it were that simple in my case.
i have zero stress in my life. I do, however have many meltdowns.
All stim induced. None of which I can avoid, or predict.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 11:21 pm

from your first post it would say differently...

Quote:
then the employer expects me to maintain that persona i portrayed and piece by piece it all comes falling down on top of me.

Quote:
either quit or get fired due to an unwanted meltdown.

Quote:
i've lost count on how many jobs i've gone through.
from video store clerk to four star hotels.

Quote:
all because i ''faked'' my way in.

Quote:
how does it get avoided?
the truth can jeopardize the chances....bending the truth or downright lieing can jeopardize the chances, and tarnish your employment record altogether.

Quote:
Did all previous children get cured?? Nope, some of us are still trying to find a way to fit into this world.

/*
Don't take this personal...

Am I right as you let your feelings do the work than thinking about it, then reacting?

Blame things on stuff that is nothing to do with the problem to excuse yourself?

All these quotes are fuels...

as stress can not be controled or predicted as it will explode when its full...
*/

Anyone with a meltdown problem can increase they explode effect if you let fuels in, and not see it as that...

Elsie

15 Jan 2007, 11:28 pm

logitechdog wrote:
from your first post it would say differently...

Quote:
then the employer expects me to maintain that persona i portrayed and piece by piece it all comes falling down on top of me.

Quote:
either quit or get fired due to an unwanted meltdown.

Quote:
i've lost count on how many jobs i've gone through.
from video store clerk to four star hotels.

Quote:
all because i ''faked'' my way in.

Quote:
how does it get avoided?
the truth can jeopardize the chances....bending the truth or downright lieing can jeopardize the chances, and tarnish your employment record altogether.

Quote:
Did all previous children get cured?? Nope, some of us are still trying to find a way to fit into this world.

/*
Don't take this personal...

Am I right as you let your feelings do the work than thinking about it, then reacting?

Blame things on stuff that is nothing to do with the problem to excuse yourself?

All these quotes are fuels...

as stress can not be controled or predicted as it will explode when its full...
*/

Anyone with a meltdown problem can increase they explode effect if you let fuels in, and not see it as that...

i'm not understanding what you're saying.
i also haven't worked for 8 years.(unrelated reasons).
My meltdowns are not work related, stress related or anything other than having ugly aspie traits.
this has been since i was 3 years old....maybe earlier, can't recall lol.
it's not something that just happens cuz i can't take the pressure or fail to recognize it.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 12:53 am

http://www.meltdown.com/

If it is chemical which it probably is this is the best test for you to have , and all of this probably will make sense to you,

Tissue Mineral Analysis (TMA)

presto

16 Jan 2007, 10:16 am

the desire to be honest is what sets most of us apart. welcome to reality as most people see it, its time to lie, or spend the rest of your life complaining to strangers on a message board, seriously. either do something else and dont go someplace thats normal, or function like a normal person, and get everything you can out of life from everyone you can.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 11:18 am

Elsie,

NOW YOU DID IT! :( You have me agreeing with presto. I think that's a first. :( You talk about "ugly aspie traits", etc... You make it sound like this is all you really have to show for it. FIrst of all, these traits are something that ties autism and aspie together. So I have generally called it an autistic trait. ALSO, others here indicate SOME physical trigger, even if it isn't really obvious.

If you don't appear to have a physical trigger from the environment, like everyone else, it must be chemical, alergic, or caused by some injury or failing. HEY, I'm a programmer, that is just the way I see things, and apparantly an aspie trait. Maybe you are one that needs glutathione. Apparantly a number of autistics need that and a deficiency COULD, in theory, cause problems such as those you have. BTW such deficiencies DO happen with others as well.

Have you been to a doctor about this? It is bad enough knowing that a bad event could hurt your day. Even NTs have that to a degree. To go through life acting eratically with NO trigger and NO hope would be sheer torture. I can understand why you said you would take a cure. Last I checked, you were the only person on that poll to say that.

If what I sense is a meltdown, I only have them like maybe 6 times a year, and I bet I am usually the only one that notices. I always attributed them to exhaustion, and being nervous. Just one of MANY ways I have always reacted differently from everyone else.

Steve

Elsie

16 Jan 2007, 6:45 pm

SteveK wrote:
Elsie,

NOW YOU DID IT! :( You have me agreeing with presto. I think that's a first. :( You talk about "ugly aspie traits", etc... You make it sound like this is all you really have to show for it. FIrst of all, these traits are something that ties autism and aspie together. So I have generally called it an autistic trait. ALSO, others here indicate SOME physical trigger, even if it isn't really obvious.

If you don't appear to have a physical trigger from the environment, like everyone else, it must be chemical, alergic, or caused by some injury or failing. HEY, I'm a programmer, that is just the way I see things, and apparantly an aspie trait. Maybe you are one that needs glutathione. Apparantly a number of autistics need that and a deficiency COULD, in theory, cause problems such as those you have. BTW such deficiencies DO happen with others as well.

Have you been to a doctor about this? It is bad enough knowing that a bad event could hurt your day. Even NTs have that to a degree. To go through life acting eratically with NO trigger and NO hope would be sheer torture. I can understand why you said you would take a cure. Last I checked, you were the only person on that poll to say that.

If what I sense is a meltdown, I only have them like maybe 6 times a year, and I bet I am usually the only one that notices. I always attributed them to exhaustion, and being nervous. Just one of MANY ways I have always reacted differently from everyone else.

Steve

This is confusing me completely. I don't understand anything the previous poster said about this and I don't know what I said that made you use sad faces and caps and all that.
What do you mean have I been to a dr? I see a psychiatrist once a month if that's what you're asking. That just started though, and I'm talking about past experiences when I was working. I didn't know I'm the only one who has this happen.
maybe i'm not using the right words?
i was just introduced to aspergers last summer, i'm still learning what it's all about.
but anyway, yeah i haven't received anything good. i'm not super intelligent, or super talented. just super sensitive to everything and anything around me.
these traits, autistic traits as you call them, since aspegers is a form of autism (unless i was given false information there), have been only negative traits. Untreated, uncontrolled, undiagnosed....for the better of 35 years. (they started when I was 3).
I'm extremely affected by the sensory stimulants - sounds, lights, tastes, textures...yadda yadda.
sometimes if i get them all happening it can send me into a (what i've been told) meltdown.

this is the first time i've ran into people who don't know what i'm talking about .
great, now i feel weird here.

yeah no wonder i'm the only one who isn't happy about it. i don't seem to fit in anywhere.

i'm totally mixed up, i don't know what i said that's so wrong.

my previous posts have nothing to do with me personally. I'm not employed and don't plan on being employed any time soon. and it has nothing to do with autism/aspergers.

i don't understand anything of what presto was even talking about.
what would there be for me to even lie about?
do something else? about what?
i wasn't complaining about anything, i was sharing my experiences.

i was also posting a hypothetical scenario based on those experiences since the original post did bring up certain questions.

I think I'll just go back to not talking.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 7:23 pm

The tone of your posts, and the fact that I agreed with presto* made me sad.

Well, I DID say AS and autism are tied together. I was just showing how it has a wider scope.

I'm sure you aren't the ONLY one but, happily, I think you ARE in the minority.

As for the meltdowns, I understand what you guys are talking about. I think I have some that are kind of in the middle of the extremes indicated by some. Please don't misunderstand me THERE.

I just don't see how you just have them, and apparantly often, with no real trigger. In a way, I am trying to help.

As for the special abilities? I DO have perfect pitch, but apparantly I have no good idea of how I sound since like puderty. It IS odd. I CAN discern pitch there and sing on key though. For musical intruments, I have no special talent. Blackcat apparantly would put most here to shame in that area anyway. For math I am not that good. Oh well, some like steelmaiden put many to shame there. I dumbed down my language, so my aspieness isn't so obvious there. I am working towards bringing that back, but I STILL have to dumb it down at work in most cases. 8-( I USED to be great at all sorts of puzzles, but it has been SO long since I have done them. I am working towards improving that. I won't brag about my IQ, but its respectable.

Still, most of my interests have been technical and that probably had a positive effect on my IQ. If I had just been gaming the whole time, I might not be nearly as smart. There are things I remember from college shows I watched almost 40 years ago. So you never know what skills you may have, or could have, that are just DORMANT.

*BTW there IS one part I didn't notice with prestos post(It figures I should NOT scan his posts!) I DO disagree with. I am NOT condoning lying!

Steve

Elsie

16 Jan 2007, 7:40 pm

SteveK wrote:
The tone of your posts, and the fact that I agreed with presto* made me sad.

Well, I DID say AS and autism are tied together. I was just showing how it has a wider scope.

I'm sure you aren't the ONLY one but, happily, I think you ARE in the minority.

As for the meltdowns, I understand what you guys are talking about. I think I have some that are kind of in the middle of the extremes indicated by some. Please don't misunderstand me THERE.

I just don't see how you just have them, and apparently often, with no real trigger. In a way, I am trying to help.

As for the special abilities? I DO have perfect pitch, but apparantly I have no good idea of how I sound since like puderty. It IS odd. I CAN discern pitch there and sing on key though. For musical intruments, I have no special talent. Blackcat apparantly would put most here to shame in that area anyway. For math I am not that good. Oh well, some like steelmaiden put many to shame there. I dumbed down my language, so my aspieness isn't so obvious there. I am working towards bringing that back, but I STILL have to dumb it down at work in most cases. 8-( I USED to be great at all sorts of puzzles, but it has been SO long since I have done them. I am working towards improving that. I won't brag about my IQ, but its respectable.

Still, most of my interests have been technical and that probably had a positive effect on my IQ. If I had just been gaming the whole time, I might not be nearly as smart. There are things I remember from college shows I watched almost 40 years ago. So you never know what skills you may have, or could have, that are just DORMANT.

*BTW there IS one part I didn't notice with prestos post(It figures I should NOT scan his posts!) I DO disagree with. I am NOT condoning lying!

Steve

They are triggered by stuff, I guess I didn't explain it right. But it's not because of work related stress.
I can't control what does set it off, and alot of times I don't know what is setting it off. It just happens and by time I'm in it, I can't get out until it's over or I'm removed.
I get so lost in it that I can't remove myself, I need someone to interject somehow.

I have musical talents, but those are inherited. Both sides of my family are artistic in one fashion or another.

I wasn't meaning to bring any tone with my posts. So turn that frown upside down....I just don't understand how lying on an application can be a good thing in the long run.
No matter what type of brain a person has, an employer expects you to live up to what you claim....no?
So, I chose not to lie when I was still seeking employment, because from the gamut of jobs I had, I could only keep the charade up for so long.
Better to be accepted (or denied) for the truth than having to live up to a lie.

I don't know how many years it takes to hone a skill lol....I've singing for 32 years, played guitar for 4 years.
I can pick a harmony out of most any song, and spent the last days of my lengthy career as job hopper, singing backing vocals.
But, I don't credit that to AS....as I said, I've inherited it honestly.

In fact, I'd still be doing it if the choice were mine. Extenuating circumstances prevent it though. So, car/shower singing is the next best thing :)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 8:01 pm

Like I said at least twice before, lying is a bad idea. I saw the first sentence he had, and didn't notice the second said the opposite. 8-(

As for your inherited talents, WHO KNOWS? Autism is inherited ALSO!

HEY, my father was considered to be very smart in his career. His family and friends say that also. He has a hobby, that supposedly takes some intelligence, where he is apparantly one of the best in the nation. He DOES have some of the worst traits I exhibit, and they COULD be autistic.

I USED to think I was just a nervous and kind of off gifted person. GO FIGURE!

Steve