Aspies, do you feel NT's can tell you're "different&quo

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2007, 9:35 am

scrulie wrote:
Yes, I've read somewhere that we often have young-sounding voices! :)

Telemarketers often ask me if they can speak to my parents. Which is useful, because it means I can just say "no, they're not available" and hang up.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 9:45 am

AngelUndercover wrote:
scrulie wrote:

Telemarketers often ask me if they can speak to my parents. Which is useful, because it means I can just say "no, they're not available" and hang up.

AND HEY! You probably don't live with your parents, so they AREN'T available, huh? WOW! I wish I was that lucky!

BTW I should say I think I looked young at 17. That was before I really went bald.

I don't sound THAT young. I DID once tell a person what I did, etc... And he stopped me MID SENTENCE AGAST, and asked how old I was! He said he thought I was about 20. I was almost 40 at the time. I told my current boss about that, he waited a minute or so, and said "You DO have a young voice".

I HAVE gotten calls where the person sounded confused, etc... So I answer the phone "Hello, this is steve". I never pushed as to WHY they were confused. To come to think of it, people DO say they want to talk to mr or mrs... Those are stupid marketers though. Maybe they DO think I am younger. My voice can resonate though, so it certainly isn't THAT young.

Steve

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2007, 2:12 pm

Yes, but I doubt they would realize what was different about me was being autistic. According to my family and husband I look like a rockabilly/punk Barbie doll, so not exactly “normal”.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 2:32 pm

pooftis wrote:
Yes, but I doubt they would realize what was different about me was being autistic. According to my family and husband I look like a rockabilly/punk Barbie doll, so not exactly “normal”.

How about a pic, then?? Somehow I can't visualize that combo ! !!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 2:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmFzPGJFDU[/youtube]

That's what I look like when walking around upright. People pick up on something immediately.

AspicViper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2007, 3:50 pm

Maybe. Some people are shocked once they find out I have Asperger's. My mom says that this one time I had this "blank look" one my face when we ran into some old neighbors at the store and did not want to talk.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 3:51 pm

No I don't feel like this. In fact, people only know I'm 'different' when I tell them. Obviously they can tell sometimes by my behaviour. But people usually act shocked when they discover that I have Asperger's Syndrome.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2007, 10:14 pm

Fiz wrote:
No I don't feel like this. In fact, people only know I'm 'different' when I tell them. Obviously they can tell sometimes by my behaviour. But people usually act shocked when they discover that I have Asperger's Syndrome.

How do you tell them and why would you tell them? There's some guy I know at work I think has it and he seems scared of me because I think I try to come across too normal around him and have come on too strong. So I'm thinking about telling him. He may be more afraid of me afterwards but I have to clear this up with him, at least try to. I think he thinks I'm after him and I don't want him to think that. I don't think he'll believe me though, about the AS, I would just tell him I have a mild form of autism, or the not being after him.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 12:03 am

That is a peculiar observation. I am 39 (really)! But, I do look like I am in my 20's. I dress and listen to popular music plus I have a feminine look and soft voice. I have even been accused of lying when I reveal I am 39. At the same time, I am mature and even tempered and I love older people, especially men. So, I never fit in anywhere. I have been told I have "big dark green eyes" that look innocent. Plus, I have a childlike innocence about me that most adults my age lack entirely. I sometimes meet others that are my chronological age and I am surprised at our difference (not in a bad way, just different). Strange. I admit, I like older (maternal/paternal) humans. In some ways I am much, much older than 39. In other ways, I am kindergartener.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 3:01 am

well, since we're talking about how young we look: people often think I'm younger than my brother although he is a year younger than me.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2007, 3:50 am

I thought I looked pretty normal, apart from the loner thing. Then one guy asked why I use such big words...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 7:00 am

bheid wrote:
I thought I looked pretty normal, apart from the loner thing. Then one guy asked why I use such big words...

Just out of curiousity, what did you say to trigger that response, and what did you say in response.

I may be missing a lot of "big words"(I think people on the whole are getting dumber, and more words seem larger!) but I think the average post here that has them has only 1 or 2! Frankly, if I had trouble with them, I would happily look them up. One person had a short one liner where nearly every word was a "big word"! One part I remember is

ethylated libations

That gives you an idea about the rest! 8-) THAT was unusual though!

I think THAT person was trying to be funny. I mean if you spoke like that ALL the time, people would think you were insecure, or trying to hide something.

Steve

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2007, 9:40 am

I don't remember what I said to make him say that, although I wasn't showing off. I was using words that seemed appropriate.

My response was to tell him that (in less complicated words).

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2007, 9:43 am

I think the lack of eye contact gives me away. A good friend's son told him I was "odd", but couldn't say why.

BeadsInMyToes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2007, 8:35 pm

scrulie wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Hovis wrote:
scrulie wrote:
And people constantly comment on the fact that I look about 15 years younger than I actually am....

I wonder if that's an Aspie thing as well, looking young. I'll be 33 in a few months, but look about ten years less than that.

I know that no matter how I try to dress, or act, or speak, people seem to see something odd about me. Like Young_fogey wrote, they start off treating me normally when we first meet, then after a short while they seem to pick up on whatever's wrong or different, and I get the 'special' treatment.

I think it is just because I am balding, but people at least USED to think I was much OLDER than I am. I SOUND like I am 20 though.

Steve

Really? I'm 33 and when I answer the phone people ask me if they can speak with an adult or if my parents are available!