Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:16 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't think of things that I did as things that I did despite ASD. I think of things that I did as things that I did.

While I tend to agree, especially since most things I've done I did before I knew I had AS (figured it out about 6 months ago) so they were all just things that I did.

I worded it that way for those that believe they can't do something because of their ASD to take note of the thread and read over stories of things others have done to possibly get them out of that way of thinking.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:18 am

briankelley wrote:
Lots of successful people are miserable. And I'll bet there are a few might envy the simplicity and relative tranquility of my meager lifestyle.

All I want to do is stay at home, grow my own food, make my own clothes, and dream :)

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2013, 12:37 am

Moomingirl wrote:
briankelley wrote:
Lots of successful people are miserable. And I'll bet there are a few might envy the simplicity and relative tranquility of my meager lifestyle.

All I want to do is stay at home, grow my own food, make my own clothes, and dream :)

It seems like people with AS like to live a more traditional lifestyle where you support yourself. I find the concept of working solely for money quite unnatural. Perhaps it's because modern work is quite abstract and it's more of a social concept, eg. office work has nothing to do with human survival. My life goal is to buy a rural property and make and grow things to sell. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be free.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:53 am

shyengineer wrote:
My life goal is to buy a rural property and make and grow things to sell. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be free.

Sounds perfect!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:55 am

shyengineer wrote:
It seems like people with AS like to live a more traditional lifestyle where you support yourself. I find the concept of working solely for money quite unnatural. Perhaps it's because modern work is quite abstract and it's more of a social concept, eg. office work has nothing to do with human survival. My life goal is to buy a rural property and make and grow things to sell. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be free.

I know a few Aspies IRL who personify these traits very well. I'm also very much this way & have plenty of dreams/ideas for sustainable ways of simple living utiliizing green energy tech etc. One (undiagnosed and unaware) middle aged+ AS woman I know has a special interest in hobby farming and has a very thorough process of optimizing her land/animal production all naturally and sustainably. It was pretty cool to hear her monologue about it.

But the real reason I quoted your post is for the last two words, as that phrase is the single best piece of advice I've ever received. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:14 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i'm pretty good at occupying space.

I excel at that one. :D Seriously though, it feels like all I can handle is day to day. I try to make sure that my kids are happy, and know that their loved. I feel I'm just treading water most days, but I'm always grateful to have a roof overhead, and food in our bellies.

hey, you're a responsible and caring parent, that makes you an AS hero in my eyes :wtg:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:24 am

Got married
Lived on my own
Can drive
Went to Europe
Dated lot of men in 2007 from online
Had a baby
Worked full time for a year and a half
Was in a play in high school and helped a few kids with their lines
Have had a few interviews and passed one and got the job
Taught myself to read Roman numerals
Had two bad relationships and got out of them each time in short amount of time

I am pretty dull and I envy other aspies who did more than me. These things are nothing.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
Got married
Lived on my own
Can drive
Went to Europe
Had a baby
I am pretty dull and I envy other aspies who did more than me. These things are nothing.

i beg to differ. not everybody can travel to europe. not everybody can have a relationship. so you are way ahead of lots of other AS folk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Got married
Lived on my own
Can drive
Went to Europe
Had a baby

i beg to differ. not everybody can travel to europe. not everybody can have a relationship. so you are way ahead of lots of other AS folk.

I went to Europe with my mom. My husband is disabled and not quite NT.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 1:34 am

^^^
but at least you have a mate.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 2:35 am

League_Girl wrote:

Stop that. Comparing yourself to others is a sure fire way to depress yourself, as no matter how successful you are at something, there's always someone better & you can lose sight of the value of your own accomplishments and discount/minimize their true value to the point that they seem like nothing. I have an AS friend who held a professional job for 5 years earning $80-100K/year & doesn't consider it a success because "well, it's not like it's a million." See what I mean about comparing up? Sure fire way to make yourself miserable, so best to break that habit.

Meanwhile, the list you wrote is really something to yourself, but also possibly to others who've yet to accomplish those things - or worse yet, think & believe that they cannot.

Remember this: The only person you should compare yourself to & want to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 2:58 am

goldfish21 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Stop that. Comparing yourself to others is a sure fire way to depress yourself, as no matter how successful you are at something, there's always someone better & you can lose sight of the value of your own accomplishments and discount/minimize their true value to the point that they seem like nothing. I have an AS friend who held a professional job for 5 years earning $80-100K/year & doesn't consider it a success because "well, it's not like it's a million." See what I mean about comparing up? Sure fire way to make yourself miserable, so best to break that habit.

Meanwhile, the list you wrote is really something to yourself, but also possibly to others who've yet to accomplish those things - or worse yet, think & believe that they cannot.

Remember this: The only person you should compare yourself to & want to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Oh thank you, I was being such a Kit. (A League of Their Own thing) Your AS friend is being a Kit too. Everyone else are Dotties whom we compare ourselves to.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 5:18 am

8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 6:43 am

glow wrote:
8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)

That's a bit mean. You can't put words into someone's mouth like that. I took it that she meant that her achievements were achievements, but not as seemingly large achievements as some others. By saying what you've just said you are condemning her to actually feel they might be "unregistered failures". I agree with what goldfish said. Some Aspies have such poor social skills they would find it a miracle to get married for instance - leaguegirl accomplished that. You are the one minimising her achievements by what you have said.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 8:29 am

I have had the same job for 15 years. I am the sole provider for my family. I quit smoking. I had three kids. I graduated college (8 years after I started), Taught myself how to knit, crochet and make jewelry, travelled to South America, escaped from an abusive relationship, graduated from a top-10 public high school, did not become addicted to any of the substances I abused, withstood bullies and "mean girls", learned how to handle personal hygiene and manage time better, didn't jump out of the 3rd floor window to kill myself in 5th grade, didn't get kidnapped by a pervert, did not develop weird racist ideas despite my mom's attitude (she never explicitly said anything but just the offhand comments she would sometimes make--she was born in 1931 in Alabama).

And I still haven't killed myself.

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2013, 9:03 am

My accomplishments:

I'm currently in college despite my ASD, and finishing up one more course in order to graduate with an Associate's of Science degree in Graphic Design. I have plans to transfer to the Bachelor's program to major in Digital Media - Graphics and Web after I receive my AS degree.

I'm also have plans to find a full-time or part-time job to support my family and myself while I'm still in college, and currently going to vocational rehab to gain job skills to be successful in gaining employment that pays me well.

I learned how to keep my anger under check and admit responsiblity if I done something wrong. For example, I had an anger outburst and shouted epithets of profanity at a county fair employee that could have almost got me arrested and landed behind bars if I attempted to commit battery on him. I decided to apologize to him, and let him know that I take back what I said and admit full responsibilty of my actions. I should have realized that he's trying to do his job.

I'm cutting my time from playing video games and finding other leisures that will keep my occupied and busy. (e.g., blogging on forums, wataching television shows that interest me, and being exposed to social outlets)