Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Well, you can see for yourself.

My therapist basically gave me this test when I was being tested. I never learned how I scored, but I just took it and got 32, which is the high end of "low"

Supposedly, average is 42, and most people with autism score around 20.

Quote:
Your score: 32
0 - 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)
33 - 52 = average (most women score about 47 and most men score about 42)
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

A lot of these items depend on my mood and whether I'm distracted, however. Therefore, it might not be an accurate test for those with executive functioning or sensory problems, such as most aspies and those with Nonverbal Learning Disorder or ADHD.

http://glennrowe.net/baroncohen/empathy ... tient.aspx

That test is stupid because it lumps two different types of empathy together, but only gives a few questions on the type people with AS are good at, so it looks like people with AS are psychopaths. :evil:

No, lack of empathy =/psychopath. I would consider myself to have more psychopathic tendencies than most aspies (though still not a clinical psychopath since I'm not violent and still respect most laws out of self interest), but I obviously have higher empathy than most aspies, as far as making people feel good about themselves, knowing when to shut up/leave, seeing another person's perspective in an argument, knowing how other people perceive me, and giving my boss what he wants, etc. I don't think these things have anything to do with psychopathy, or not.

Psychopathy would be a lack of sympathy/compassion, and perhaps an extreme lack of affective empathy, not a lack of empathy in the clinical sense. I often have to fake sympathy/compassion and imitate others mechanically to achieve affective empathy in an external sense.

Basically, I have higher empathy than you do, most likely. But you are probably much less psychopathic.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:51 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

My therapist basically gave me this test when I was being tested. I never learned how I scored, but I just took it and got 32, which is the high end of "low"

Quote:
0 - 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

A lot of these items depend on my mood and whether I'm distracted, however. Therefore, it might not be an accurate test for those with executive functioning or sensory problems, such as most aspies and those with Nonverbal Learning Disorder or ADHD.

That test is stupid because it lumps two different types of empathy together, but only gives a few questions on the type people with AS are good at, so it looks like people with AS are psychopaths. :evil:

No, lack of empathy =/psychopath. I would consider myself to have more psychopathic tendencies than most aspies (though still not a clinical psychopath since I'm not violent and still respect most laws out of self interest), but I obviously have higher empathy than most aspies, as far as making people feel good about themselves, knowing when to shut up/leave, seeing another person's perspective in an argument, knowing how other people perceive me, and giving my boss what he wants, etc. I don't think these things have anything to do with psychopathy, or not.

Psychopathy would be a lack of sympathy/compassion, and perhaps an extreme lack of affective empathy, not a lack of empathy in the clinical sense. I often have to fake sympathy/compassion and imitate others mechanically to achieve affective empathy in an external sense.

Basically, I have higher empathy than you do, most likely. But you are probably much less psychopathic.

Okay, I should have explained myself better, but you need to realize that 1. there are a few questions on the test relating to the lack of empathy psychopaths have and that was what I was referring to 2. This is from SBC, who lumps psychopathy and autism together as lacking empathy even though they are not alike.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Quote:
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

Okay, I should have explained myself better, but you need to realize that 1. there are a few questions on the test relating to the lack of empathy psychopaths have and that was what I was referring to 2. This is from SBC, who lumps psychopathy and autism together as lacking empathy even though they are not alike.

I don't think psychopaths lack empathy, just compassion/sympathy. Psychopaths can have the best empathy of anyone. You have to be much better than me and worlds better than anyone else on this board to be a successful psychopath.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:04 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Quote:
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

I don't think psychopaths lack empathy, just compassion/sympathy. Psychopaths can have the best empathy of anyone. You have to be much better than me and worlds better than anyone else on this board to be a successful psychopath.

Okay, the problem here is semantics. When most people say empathy they include "sympathy" with it. It's from these ambiguous phrases were a lot of our trouble comes from.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:05 am

Sometimes I seem to have empathy, other times I have none. I guess it depends on the person? Seeing people/animals tortured in movies or the news made me freak out major, made me react violently. People at my jr college would sit around watching ebaum's world, videos of people dying, and I couldn't stand it. I exploded a few times at them for it. I can't explain exactly what I felt, but I think it has to do with justice and the inability to help these people. I can't stand bullying. I have a hard time with teasing. I took a baseball bat to the shin to protect some ants. It really feels like these people who watch the videos or bully or torture animals for fun are lacking in both empathy and sympathy. But I'm not really sure if I have actual empathy or if it's just a reaction to the act itself, rather than the victim.
When someone is upset around me, I feel very awkward and get upset myself, and don't know what to do. I've been told the appropriate action is to hug them, but I just can't. For some people, I just get really irritated at them for being upset. I can comfort my own kids at least, but my toddler sure seems to be on the spectrum... I can relate to my brother (an aspie), I actually recognize certain expressions he gets as something that I get. I don't feel that with anyone else. Reading other people, I go through a mental process of "what expression is that and why". Spending a lot of time watching tv (easy to read expressions, usually) I'd like to think I've gotten good at it, but I never feel a connection like I do with my brother.

So maybe the psychologist has a different opinion on what empathy is or I'm really good at faking it?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:09 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
Sometimes I seem to have empathy, other times I have none. I guess it depends on the person? Seeing people/animals tortured in movies or the news made me freak out major, made me react violently. People at my jr college would sit around watching ebaum's world, videos of people dying, and I couldn't stand it. I exploded a few times at them for it. I can't explain exactly what I felt, but I think it has to do with justice and the inability to help these people. I can't stand bullying. I have a hard time with teasing. I took a baseball bat to the shin to protect some ants. It really feels like these people who watch the videos or bully or torture animals for fun are lacking in both empathy and sympathy. But I'm not really sure if I have actual empathy or if it's just a reaction to the act itself, rather than the victim.
When someone is upset around me, I feel very awkward and get upset myself, and don't know what to do. I've been told the appropriate action is to hug them, but I just can't. For some people, I just get really irritated at them for being upset. I can comfort my own kids at least, but my toddler sure seems to be on the spectrum... I can relate to my brother (an aspie), I actually recognize certain expressions he gets as something that I get. I don't feel that with anyone else. Reading other people, I go through a mental process of "what expression is that and why". Spending a lot of time watching tv (easy to read expressions, usually) I'd like to think I've gotten good at it, but I never feel a connection like I do with my brother.

So maybe the psychologist has a different opinion on what empathy is or I'm really good at faking it?

Your reactions sound very autistic. The feeling awkward and not knowing how to help is a welcome documented thing with autism, see personal distress vs. empathetic concern in autism.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:27 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Quote:
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

Okay, the problem here is semantics. When most people say empathy they include "sympathy" with it. It's from these ambiguous phrases were a lot of our trouble comes from.

I think the assumption is that cognitive-empathy / mind-reading is a prerequisite for sympathy. Therefore the two are lumped together in the mushy term "empathy". That one doesn't always entail the other isn't part of the common understanding. The definition is based on the "ideal" person for which all are correlated. It isn't defined for people with AS or people with personality disorders.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

marshall wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Quote:
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

I think the assumption is that cognitive-empathy / mind-reading is a prerequisite for sympathy. Therefore the two are lumped together in the mushy term "empathy". That one doesn't always entail the other isn't part of the common understanding. The definition is based on the "ideal" person for which all are correlated. It isn't defined for people with AS or people with personality disorders.

Well, it kind of is. Affective empathy is nice to have too, but it's not essential. What matters is one's behavior, not one's subjective feelings -- which can change moment to moment. Cognitive empathy is essential for functioning in society because it directly determines behavior.

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2013, 5:18 am

Definition of EMPATHY

: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also: the capacity for this

See empathy defined for English-language learners »

See empathy defined for kids »

===========================================================

This suggests that "empathy" is trying to put yourself in the "other" and trying understanding their needs/thoughts/ feelings. But in reality we tend to not understand body language, intention, nor-verbal norms, vocal cues and gestures. Thus, we "miss" social assumed queues. This I believe is not the same as lacking empathy. I see a lot of people being "empathetic" under the Haven heading of this form.

This test was trying to see if get body language understanding and understanding intention. Some psychologists may be using “empathy” as a loose term to describe this whole issue. But they should be operationally defining this when speaking to clients and in papers.

Also, I believe, it is normal to not have empathy turned on all the time in watching movies etc. Like any emotion it can be elusive and subjective given the situation.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 6:15 am

I took the test. I got 7.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

b9 wrote:
here is an example of my own rendition of a song that is a religious song, and so i guess you can see that i have no empathy because i just play note after note in a fashion that is more copied than inspired.

here is the real song that is spine tingling
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11467456
it is very beautiful and so is the girl who sings it.

here is my rendition which shows that all i can do is approximate in a robotic fashion what i admire in others,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8762779

This is completely off the topic of empathy but I found it fascinating to compare the two renditions. It is a hobby of mine to listen to several different versions of the same song and compare how different approaches can completely change the feel of a song even when the notes are exactly the same (which they sometimes aren't).

I wonder if the difference between your rendition and the original is that you didn't add any vibrato.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/DIY-Ar ... p/34632311

Quote:
One of the most expressive devices available to any musician is vibrato. Playing notes loud and soft or varying the tempo may create a sense of drama, but if you really want to make that high note shimmer—and send shivers down the spine of your listeners—add just the right bit of vibrato, and you can steal the show. Or at least immortalize the moment. Vibrato, more than any other technique, can be the secret weapon you unleash to get the maximum emotional impact out of your performance.

I noticed that you varied the tempo to match the original tempo and you seemed to vary the volume to simulate hitting the piano keys hard or soft, but that "ringing" sound that happens in some notes and that conveys emotion was missing.

That had nothing to do with the thread. I just enjoy comparing different versions of songs and analyzing the differences.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 8:55 am

Tyri0n wrote:
marshall wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Well, it kind of is. Affective empathy is nice to have too, but it's not essential. What matters is one's behavior, not one's subjective feelings -- which can change moment to moment. Cognitive empathy is essential for functioning in society because it directly determines behavior.

What I was saying though is there is an assumption in the fact that one word is used to describe multiple things. The assumption is that where there is one there is the other, or that both vary in equal magnitudes. This is because language is developed from the perspective of the average person rather than someone who deviates from the norm. Clearly this assumption isn't always the case. Affective empathy (or sympathy) helps, but is not 100% necessary to function and it's also possible to have affective empathy while lacking cognitive empathy. That's my point.

Also I don't think so-called cognitive empathy is necessarily purely "cognitive". Though not the same as compassion or sympathy, it also involves parts of the brain that process emotion. It's not pure calculation and involves a completely different area of the brain than say solving a logic puzzle.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 1:07 pm

I always think of empathy as being extremely kind and thoughtful for others. Also I think of it as ''treat others how you would want to be treated''. But these are irrational, because if empathy significantly meant those two and if the general population didn't lack the empathy I'm thinking of, then this world would be such a nicer place to be in, especially from an Aspie's point of view.

Not saying NTs can't be kind and thoughtful. Plenty of them are, but there are still plenty of them that aren't. I think it can also depend on one's personality.

Now I try to define empathy as ''being aware of one's social intentions/actions'', whether it's a good intention or a bad intention. But there are sometimes occasions where an NT can make a mistake too, and may be unaware that they have upset a person.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I think empathy is often used to mean giving the right response to a particular situation

This is what NTs are good at - they wheel out the right response and in my opinion there often isn't any real empathy there, it's just the required response and so they are seen as empathetic

Yes! This is EXACTLY what they are referring to when they say "Autistics lack empathy". Of course, giving the right response is not the same thing as actual empathy, but it gives others the perception that you're empathetic.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

Quote:
53 - 63 is above average
64 - 80 is very high
80 is maximum

Giving that test a quick glance, it strikes me as more of a "neurotypical test" than an "empathy test". If psychologists use criteria like that to assess empathy, then it's no wonder Autistics are commonly referred to as lacking empathy.

Well, I took the whole thing, and I got a 17. For better or for worse, the test does tend to give low scores to people with poor social skills. Like I said, it reads like a "neurotypical test". That test really clears up for me why psychologists refer to Autistics as lacking empathy. The entire nature of Autism runs counter to this particular definition of empathy. Personally, I wouldn't consider myself as lacking empathy, because the way I define empathy is totally different.

elsing
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

I scored 8, I'm not surprised I scored low but I am surprised I scored that low