Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 6:10 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
I had given up on this thread as a lost cause.

I don't know why you feel the need to inform me of this, I know it's a neurological condition.

People can and do believe what they choose to, they can cope with their conditions and still be in denial.

Conformity has everything to do with a thread where autism is being compared with being gay and definitions are seen as political correctness. Life goes on with or without the facts.

The choice is ultimately up to the person, though I can't imagine anyone ignoring fact and subsequently embarrassing themselves in a conversation like this:
Quote:
100% of earth's population are wrong about at least a few well known and established facts.

Obviously you haven't given up on the thread in totality as a lost cause, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to reply further to said lost cause.

Furthermore, if you mean to imply that I have in some way embarassed myself by stating a fact of life (since it has been shown throughout years of testament that no-one, being 0%, knows everything), then I must inform you, that you only have embarassed yourself in the process of trying to insult my intelligence, which is something you've tried in the past as well. The statement I made is fully correct and without flaw, simply put; everyone is wrong about something that is well known to others, though not necessarily about the same set of facts. I would advise that you think twice before posting useless comebacks in the future, as stated, you only embarass yourself in failing to do so.

Since you will not take that into consideration however (because I know you and your kind), this conversation is over.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

Same as usual, just a load of waffle with no actual point apart from attempting to reword your 'profound' statement to try and turn it into the meaningful thing you wanted it to be. You were wrong before, wrong again and still so judgmental too.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 7:27 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Autism is a developmental disorder and not a mental illness.

Quote:
Any of various psychiatric conditions, usually characterized by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by physiological or psychosocial factors. Also called mental disease, mental disorder.

Autism isn't caused by physiological or psychosocial factors. It's developmental.

Our brains are wired differently. I don't see how that makes it a mental illness at all.

"developmental", "brains (...) wired differently" - sounds like physiological factors to me.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 6:59 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Same as usual, just a load of waffle with no actual point apart from attempting to reword your 'profound' statement to try and turn it into the meaningful thing you wanted it to be. You were wrong before, wrong again and still so judgmental too.

Same as usual, just a load of crap with no actual point apart from attempting to insult me while trying to make yourself the "voice of reason" about a quote that you clearly don't understand.

It isn't I who is being "judgemental" of anything, it is in fact you who is being judgemental of me, claiming that the phrase "everyone's wrong about at least a few things" is incorrect. Take my advice, don't bother projecting your issues onto me, it only makes you look idiotic in the long run and frankly it's a waste of time.
If you don't like what I have to say about something, too bad, deal with it and move on like a real person instead of sitting there with a 4 year old's mentality, throwing insults and belittling those you don't agree with, while getting the last word in trying to make yourself look like the one who's correct when you're clearly not. You aren't hard to figure out, quite frankly, and I'm surprised that more people don't call you out on your crap.

Now the conversation is over. Say what you will after this point, I don't really care. It'll obviously be something else to try to enflame me in some way, it's nothing new, I deal with your kind every day. So just get it out of your system and move on like an adult.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 7:10 am

Be careful your logical character is slipping.
I do not insult your intelligence, I just take exception to you making sweeping statements that are wrong, not all of them, but some.
I feel that you insult others with attempting to play the big thinker, stating the obvious and expecting to be lauded.
I'm afraid that is not the way the world works, maybe it's okay on a star trek RPG but it does not carry weight with me.
So take my words out of context if you choose, blow out those proportions, get your whiny victim head on, I don't care.
Some advice, if you quote someone's post don't be surprised if they pull you up on it, and then complain that you should be left alone.
There is no point conversing with you, you will be ignored. I don't have the time to waste on your pointless posts.

Tomzy95
Raven
Raven

08 Jul 2013, 8:00 am

Laddo wrote:
Tomzy95 wrote:
To me a real mental illness would be Alzheimer's, since that actually eats away at you, it makes no sense to call ASD a mental illness, it's like saying being Gay is a mental illness.

It's not like saying being gay is a mental illness at all. Being gay doesn't put any social restrictions on a person. Having autism does. Plus an illness doesn't have to completely destroy you. Having a cold, for example, doesn't destroy you physically.

What seems to be the issue here is that people just don't want the stigma associated with having a mental illness. It doesn't matter whether autism is an illness, a condition, a disorder, a syndrome or whatever - autism will always be autism. There's no need to keep redefining it all the time to make it more politically correct or whatever.

Okay, so what is it officially?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 4:42 pm

autism is genius.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 5:01 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Family members think I should live on disability because I have nothing to contribute to society.

If you can hold a job then they are wrong, if not perhaps disability isn't a terrible idea...but that is up to you and how you function not your parents.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:11 pm

Quote:
It's not like saying being gay is a mental illness at all. Being gay doesn't put any social restrictions on a person. Having autism does.

Yes it does.

Being gay means that, of the gender you're attracted to, only about 10% of them have any chance of liking you back. It also means that you and your partner will need outside assistance to produce a child together.

Not major restrictions, in my opinion, but those are restrictions.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

Autism exists on a very broad spectrum. I think it does a disservice to classic autists to deny the extreme difficulties they have coping with adult life. Dealing with change sensory issues motor difficulties and a host of other difficulties all exist on the spectrum.

On the other hand there are many positive traits that exist on the spectrum. These are so many and sometimes so astonishing that to deny that also does autistics a disservice.

The conclusion? Logic demands that we term autism a neurobiological difference.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:39 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
It's not like saying being gay is a mental illness at all. Being gay doesn't put any social restrictions on a person. Having autism does.

Yes it does.

Being gay means that, of the gender you're attracted to, only about 10% of them have any chance of liking you back. It also means that you and your partner will need outside assistance to produce a child together.

Not major restrictions, in my opinion, but those are restrictions.
Gay people and autistic people have an important thing in common: Both groups are the targets of prejudice. Autistic people have to deal with ablist prejudice; gay people have to deal with homophobia. The smaller dating pool isn't nearly as big a problem as the homophobia--especially now that people can find each other over the Internet or within the gay subculture in many cities.

Autism is a disability (not a mental illness; it's a neurodevelopmental disorder, to be precise). Many of the problems associated with having a disability aren't actually due to the disability itself, but caused by the fact that most people are not disabled and the world just isn't set up to be convenient for people who are.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ammmartin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2014, 2:43 am

I think that autism is more personality than disorder. It is not a true disorder since that implies a major effect on all aspects of daily living. I have it too but it doesn't effect my daily life not one bit. A mental illness is something that can interfere with dailly living and not suprisingly I have OCD which can sometimes effect daily living (fortunately mine is mild). Still calling autism a "mental illness" is really the result of ignorant NT swho mistake our inability to read other people's emotion as such but just because we may or may not read other people's emotions which I am getting better at, more or less, should not be called a mental illness and you are right about that.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2014, 3:20 am

Autism is neurological, like ADHD, learning disabilities or epilepsy, not psychiatric. Although bipolar, schizophrenia etc are also forms of neurodiversity, they are different forms of neurodiversity (not sure how to describe this).

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2014, 3:41 am

Sieanna wrote:
Depression and anxiety aren't autism though are they. People could say Epilepsy is a disorder of the mind but it still isn't a mental illness.

They can be co-morbid symptoms to ASD - as can OCD, ADHD - I suffer from depression too, and ADHD. It can be a very complicated disorder. :) Like you I dislike the mental illness label.

Arthur Rimbaud.