grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2013, 5:41 pm

Verdandi wrote:
grahamguitarman wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

grahamguitarman wrote:
I am not American, and don't give a toss for the American constitution, so I've reported them to facebook for hate speech. Sorry if that upsets some of your political sensitivities, but freedom of speech has a completely different meaning for me.

Freedom of speech has a completely different meaning for a significant number of Americans. Those who take it to such extremes are not the majority. Just an extremely vocal, extremely entitled, minority.

Bit of cross posting there. I'm glad to hear that not all americans take free speech to such extremes :) Over here in the UK, we hear so much from the far right that we get a distorted view of what american beliefs actually are!

The peculiar and hypocritical element of this particular kind of argument (that people are free to say whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want, to whomever they want) is how these same people get up in arms toward anyone who objects to such things. In another thread, someone told me I had no right to object to a song lyric because the guy who sings it has freedom of speech. Somehow, I and others apparently do not have the freedom of speech to object to the song lyric. How does that even make sense? At least that one hasn't appeared in this thread.

Yep you will always get that kind of hypocritical logic from people who support unbridled free speech.

Hate speech is verbal abuse, which can be just as psychologically damaging as physical abuse. No law worth its salt should support the use of any kind of abuse - even in the name of freedom of speech. Freedom should be based on reciprocity, in other words, if you want people to respect your human rights, you should respect theirs. To do otherwise is just plain hypocrisy and an abuse of freedom.

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Raz0rscythe wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The peculiar and hypocritical element of this particular kind of argument (that people are free to say whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want, to whomever they want) is how these same people get up in arms toward anyone who objects to such things. In another thread, someone told me I had no right to object to a song lyric because the guy who sings it has freedom of speech. Somehow, I and others apparently do not have the freedom of speech to object to the song lyric. How does that even make sense? At least that one hasn't appeared in this thread.

For me, I think freedom of speech should be such that, anyone can say what they like, and anyone may object. When there is an objection, there follows a discussion on whether the objectionable material was in fact a violation of any rights, laws, etc, and if so it would not be repeated. Sadly we don't appear to live in such a reasonable world...

unfortunately you are right - we don't live in such a reasonable world :( . The sad truth is that the people behind this site know perfectly well that what they are doing is vile and hateful, and they don't care. The very fact that they are hiding behind masks in itself shows self knowledge of how unacceptable their behaviour is. (I say persons, but I suspect it is just one sad individual responsible for this page)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jul 2013, 5:56 pm

To be fair, some of the things that get said... it's not reasonable to expect people to sit down and have a calm conversation over whether or not they should be treated as subhumans.

Raz0rscythe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2013, 6:08 pm

Verdandi wrote:
To be fair, some of the things that get said... it's not reasonable to expect people to sit down and have a calm conversation over whether or not they should be treated as subhumans.

Well, the discussion needn't be calm, as such, but it at least shouldn't degenerate to the level of these... people.

You are very likely an Aspie

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jul 2013, 6:10 pm

Raz0rscythe wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Well, the discussion needn't be calm, as such, but it at least shouldn't degenerate to the level of these... people.

Yeah, agreed.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 7:04 pm

Oh they're just stupid attention graspers, they're too afraid to even show their faces, so they clearly don't mean what they say.
Free speech doesn't include a lot of things, it's definitely not black n white.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:19 pm

1401b wrote:
Oh they're just stupid attention graspers, they're too afraid to even show their faces, so they clearly don't mean what they say.

Unless it's just a troll, they probably do mean it, but are afraid to take responsibility for it.

Marylandman889
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

This page is sickening. It's not freedom of speech, it's harassment and the will to cause civil misconduct. But in all honesty, they're all trolls. Still, it truly is upsetting. If you're talking in terms of freedom of speech for the United States, I can give you a good quote on this.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral (and religious) people."
-John Adams

Just because you have that freedom of speech does not mean you can go and use it as an excuse to be a jerk and wreak havoc. :roll:

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 8:27 pm

So what, it's like a gay or racial jokes site. A lot of people make these jokes, it doesn't mean they actually want to hurt someone.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:51 pm

Someone is always ready to make excuses for this kind of crap.

Gay or racist joke sites aren't necessarily any better or more excusable, and the problem isn't whether or not they really intend harm, but the contribution of such attitudes in a culture where some lives (say, autistic people's) are viewed as less valuable than others. If it's okay to joke about killing autistic people, then when autistic people get killed...well, there's already the attitude that it's okay to joke about it, make excuses for it. So you get a culture of dehumanization and hatred driven by everything from jokes to hate speech to actual violence.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 9:14 pm

For example I have some friends who joined an anti immigrant site on FB. Of course, my parents are immigrants so I was telling them, hey what's up and they told me that it's not that they hate immigrants but they just are raising some complaints like they can't get jobs or whatever. It's the same with disaffected black kids who read Louis Farrakhan. Heck I even know white kids who read Louis Farrakhan and he talks about killing all white people.

Teens get into fights / beat up regarding race or whatever ... all the time around here. But there's a line and people don't cross over into Hitler territory unless there's something really wrong with them. It's the same with disability and stuff but there's actually more respect toward people who are developmentally disabled than like, someone perceived to be an illegal immigrant.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 9:57 pm

Sounds like ignorant stupidity to me.

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2013, 10:08 pm

I thought the page was quite pathetic at first, and was ready to ignore it, but looking into it further I saw there were several comments made that were simply disgusting and graphically offensive. I won't even repeat them here, but it involved non-consentual actions of a sexual nature being committed by adults to autistic children. Whether the page was a joke or not, that kind of talk is just sickening. I've reported them, whether or not it does any good.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

ChristinaTheHobbit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm

1401b wrote:
Well maybe this is off topic now, but I find the Anti-Autism Coalition quite funny. They are sooo reactionary!
Like a little kid needing any attention at all, even "bad" attention.
Also they're depending upon the noticability of the autism movement (work with me on this phrase lol) for their own attention.
They hide their faces too lol.

Definitely. Unfortunately it appears that my original post has brought more attention to the page considering it only had 10 likes this morning and hadn't updated since March. Oh well...

While I agree that we should have freedom of speech, whether or not it offends someone (because odd are just about everything one says can be taking as offensive), there are rules against hate speech on Facebook. When you sign up with Facebook everyone must agree with the terms of use. The Anti-Autism Coalition page is in violation of these rules. If you violate Facebook's rules against hate speech, Facebook has the right to remove any content that violates its policies. This isn't so much an argument about free speech as it should be a discussion of the interpretation of Facebook user rules.

AAA- The androgynous and asexual autist

Forbidden_Donut

21 Jul 2013, 11:57 pm

grahamguitarman wrote:
My NT wife was in tears reading this filth, especially the bit that suggests she should have had an abortion rather than let our son live!

I am not American, and don't give a toss for the American constitution, so I've reported them to facebook for hate speech. Sorry if that upsets some of your political sensitivities, but freedom of speech has a completely different meaning for me.

Heh, I am American and, to be honest, I don't really give a toss about our constitution either. It really is so screwed up that it's not even funny. Seems more of a 'blanket of protection' for all the as*holes, than anything else. And I, in no way, agree with completely 100% unfettered freedom of speech. Just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 1:35 am

This page never would have surfaced if nobody said or did anything.

It only has 10 likes and no posts since March.

It's clearly a troll. The author likes dumb s**t like my little pony and sonic the hedgehog, common internet troll memes.

Now that people found it and started liking it, he's posting actively and often. He's doing it for attention, he's probably even autistic himself. If you just ignore it, it'll go dorment again.