what is the reason that we like walking on our toes?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:17 am

For me, I think it's definitely a sensory thing. For one thing, toe-walking eliminates half of the foot from having to touch the ground, but the half that DOES touch the ground gets more pressure and feeling. And although I don't toe-walk in certain shoes, I ALWAYS toe-walk if my shoes get wet. (I also exclusively toe-walk when barefoot.) Being wet is practically my worst sensory issue, and toe-walking in wet shoes means that only half of my foot will have to endure wetness.

Nash: Is there a difference?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 7:25 am

JakeDay wrote:
I took up tippy toe walking to sneak around obnoxious housemates, thus ensuring more alone time.

I think that is correct. That's why it correlates to more obvious hunting-related traits. Walking on toe is sneaking.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 1:29 pm

littlebee wrote:
Great question. I never thought about this before, but I think it requires more balance, so being on the edge, between things and therefore represents the place between two different dimensions, so kind of not going either way. Eventually, from a psychological perspective, a person does have to go one way or the other, and that can be threatening, as the person may unconsciously fear that he lose himself, so toe walking would be a good compensatory mechanism, somewhat akin to stimming. It should be mentioned that when I was pregnant with my second child, a single mother at age 40, and a big step for me to dare to dare to have that child, I could not get enough of being physically on the edge of things, such as sleeping on the very edge of the bed with part of my body even hanging off. It was extremely comforting to me. Have never done it before or since and did not do it with my first pregnancy when I was married. Psychologically, though, in terms of thinking, I am very interested in edges, and am also attracted to bad boys and edgy situations in general, though not as much any more. I kind of miss it, actually.

Quote:
I never thought about this before, but I think it requires more balance, so being on the edge, between things and therefore represents the place between two different dimensions, so kind of not going either way

This would not apply in every single case, perhaps, but probably in almost all. In short, toe walking would affect brain function and amplify a certain aspect of it. For one thing certain never currents or whatever you want ot call it go all the way down to the feet. You can do an experiment for yourself and see how it is an entriely different sensation when the weight is distributed on the heels and on the balls of the feet. You can learn a lot about yourself when you observe your own functioningm and many insights can occur when you think about it.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

Because it's fun, and I do it when I am bored.

I like to feel my muscles do different things than normal walking.

I like to stand on my toes too, and the sides of my feet, but not my heels, that feels like I am going to fall.

jly88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm

I used to do it a lot when I was younger when walking up the stairs, I think to relieve the discomfort and tension I would feel in the back of my calves while doing it. I actually had an MRI done when I was in elementary school for it because my parents were told that it might be a spinal cord issue (something about the spinal cord fibers being pinched or something like that). Turned out to be negative, but I eventually self-corrected it after my parents called attention to it. I've known about its correlation with autism for awhile and it's always struck me as kind of an odd and random symptom...