Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cubolazaruka
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2014, 3:27 am

This wikipedia article is related to the peas story.natural convection

PM your ideas to me ([email protected]), especially the more speculative ones. I also wish that I had somebody to talk to about science. My parents were never interested so instead I retreated to my room, rocked, wallowed in self-pity and imagined myself talking to people.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Try this

http://www.cogn-iq.org/?page_id=734

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 8:50 pm

Jensen wrote:

I'm average.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

me too. but I put a unique warp on average.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
me too. but I put a unique warp on average.

I think if they knew how hard I had to control myself from hitting the computer, they would have marked me down.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:06 pm

I don't take IQ tests anymore, it contributes to the maintenance of my sanity.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 1:44 am

There are Online forms, chatrooms, even YouTube videos that cater to seemingly every interest.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 1:47 am

I talk to people with similar interests.

I have also made peace with the fact that I will be disconnected from 99.9% of people I come in contact with due to my high IQ and my AS. Nobody in real life is on my level intellectually (although I have seen some people on here who are walking encyclopedias like me), and I am way behind socially.

The place where I feel most at home is in a university classroom. I get to do research and regurgitate facts about topics I am interested in. Are you in college? Do you have the opportunity to attend college?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 2:00 am

FireBird wrote:
I wish i was like you with a high IQ. Using the DSM 5, I am actually closer to having an intellectual disability than being Mensa material. My IQ is between 79-85. That is Borderline Intellectual Functioning. I might sound "smart" when talking about psychology but any other subject I'm an idiot.

As I recall I think you have to drop about 40 or more points to be an idiot.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:05 am

Jensen wrote:

Well, it's hard, but I can tell that I'm getting almost all of them (I'm a pattern-thinking Aspie, so little surprise there....). But after question 31, I decided that I have better things to do with my time. Like take a nap.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 4:43 pm

Jensen wrote:

Between 117 and 127, in true I do hoped for a better score. :( (Even if it's good, even though the questions were hard.)

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:00 am

rapidroy wrote:
FireBird wrote:
I wish i was like you with a high IQ. Using the DSM 5, I am actually closer to having an intellectual disability than being Mensa material. My IQ is between 79-85. That is Borderline Intellectual Functioning. I might sound "smart" when talking about psychology but any other subject I'm an idiot.

As I recall I think you have to drop about 40 or more points to be an idiot.

Technically an "idiot" in the old classification of an IQ test is 20 or below. But I feel like I have that low of an IQ sometimes. I believe most people on this planet should be classified this way. If they can test my psychology knowledge or other special interests, then it will boost to about 120 or so. But I know the IQ tests are not like that. They are the same for everyone. Same questions on the same IQ test (standardized). I know that idiot is no longer an appropriate classification due to the fact it is harmful to others. A moron is smarter than an idiot. There ain't intelligent life on this planet! I've seen people drive (even though I don't). Criminals are just plain stupid. Besides, the term "intellectual disability" is much nicer than idiot or mental retardation.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 4:14 am

122-133
Since result is shown as an interval, - does it mean, that the "real" score is something in the middle? - with a margin to either side?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:16 am

Jensen wrote:

.....what deranged madman came up with these?

I was expecting, well, questions. Instead it just throws up really odd shapes in strange positions and expects me to know what the hell to do with them.... the fact that I did know for most of them is irrelevant here. The damn thing could have at least explained itself a LITTLE bit....

115-125, but that's after I skipped the last 5.... I thought if I used the buttons at top, I could just see how many more were left past 40, but if you click past the last one it just doesnt let you go back.... so I'm not sure what the score is in reality.

EDIT: Wait, there were 52 of the damn things? But it ended it when I had a look past 45. What?

But it calculated a score anyway?

just..... what...... argh...... fuse..... blown!

Last edited by Misery on 07 Feb 2014, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:25 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
MENSA was mentioned.

Here is a "tester quiz" if anyone thinks they have what it takes :D ... http://www.mensa.org/workout

This one honestly kinda bothered me. All I did was look over the questions since I'd had a hunch of what they might contain, and I was right.

ALOT of math in there. I'm well aware that I've a very high intelligence level and have been able to prove it many times over.... but I'm utterly incapable of doing math in my head. 2 reasons: 1, I cant hold many numbers in short-term memory long enough to do much with them, and 2, I've grown up with computers of all sorts and have been working with them for as long as I can remember.... they handle the math as a rule, while I handle all of the logic.

Not to mention some assumptions of previous knowledge. The very first question had an answer that was something like "Well this number is the cube of this other one, so it's the right one to go in that part of the sequence". That's great and all..... but if I've never had the term "cube" explained to me as it is used within mathematics, as well as lacking an explanation of the calculations that go into cubing a number, how the heck am I supposed to answer the question?

Wheras the pattern one made more sense. It didnt assume specific existing knowledge.... it was based on pure logic.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:29 am

Basso53 wrote:
SteelMaiden wrote:
I know IQ is not exact but I have an IQ of 160 as recorded by an educational psychologist.

But I live in supported housing with people who don't understand me. To be honest few people understand me clearly when I open my mouth as I come out with theories and calculations that I have done in my head on the bus home or similar.

I need an outlet for my theories and calculations without having to call my dad (he has a PhD in engineering) repeatedly to tell him. If I don't have any outlet, I feel like my brain will explode.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? What is your outlet?

A typical conversation at home:
P: look, the peas are dancing about in the saucepan
Me: those are the convection currents, which follow a certain pattern, it is due to entropy -
P: I have no idea what that means.

My IQ isn't much lower than yours, but if you start talking about convection currents or entropy with me, you lose me in about 5 seconds. We're all different in what we focus our interests on, and NTs and even other AS people can lose interest when the subject is not in one of their interests.

As others have said, it's a social issue, not intelligence. And also very likely lack of empathy. Most of us don't have intuitive social skills. We have to learn them, and suffer with the effects of not being understood until we learn, by applying intelligence and a lot of trial and error experience, how to handle social situations, and not all of us can learn that. I have some strong NT traits. How to behave socially isn't one of them. It took a long time, but it was kind of forced on me by what I chose for a career. You can't force anyone, regardless of whether they're fellow aspies or NTs, to have an interest in things that don't interest them, but are intensely interesting to you. For an outlet for this strong interest of yours, I would suggest using Google to find an appropriate topical website, join in, and share your theories and calculations there, among people of similar interests.

This.