Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 7:47 pm

Forgot to mention, a couple of years ago I spent a week locked up in hospital with pneumathorax (collapsed lung) surrounded by dying old people. By the time I came out, I'd lost so much weight I promised myself I'd never be an in-patient again unless I was dying.
(the stay in hospital was way more stressful than the injury)

FFWD to this afternoon... pop! Spontaneous pneumathorax. Ambulance! Lovely.

Hospital tried to keep me in tonight so I eloped. Planning to go back in the morning for a chest drain... if I can sleep tonight anyway.

FFS! Should have stolen some morphine :lol:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 12:09 am

I've been officially admitted to hospital twice --- once for chest pains that turned out to be a combination of acid reflux and a panic attack. The 2nd time was for a hysterectomy. I was treated relatively well both times. although the first time I spent the whole night on a gurney in ER because there was nowhere to put me. The hospital was doing some remodeling and one whole wing was closed, so they were short-bedded. And I didn't finally see a doctor (the ER staff was keeping a check on me, but remember -- this was CHEST PAINS) until 2am, and I had first shown up in the ER around 3:30.pm. But once the testing and treatment started, I can't really complain.

I've been to the ER bunches of times -- various accidents over the years (broken arm two different times, stitches for bad cuts, and a back injury), once for a gallbladder attack, and NUMEROUS times for panic attacks that I thought were heart attacks. Once again, treatment was OK.

I've never been in any kind of mental/behavioral hospital, although some of my panic attacks were so bad I've wondered why not.

I've had plenty of experience with hospitals though. My mother has had surgery 14 times, from everything from tonsils to lymph node removal to ovarian cyst to gallbladder to foot surgery, plus trips for birth of two children, ulcers, back pain and a car accident. Some trips were MUCH better than others. For every nice helpful nurse or doctor, there was one who was neglectful, hateful,, arrogant, or even downright incompetent. Remember, not every nurse or doctor graduates at the top of their class. Like in any other school, there are those who do well, and others who just barely make it out.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 12:34 am

I've only been once. Before I knew I had severe anxiety I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Turns out it was just a bad panic attack.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 1:59 am

I've been to ER for broken bones and stitdhes, and had surgery for tonsils, adenoids and a hernia.

When I had my tonsils out as a kid of about 4 the first meal they presented me with was a bloody roast dinner!! !! ! I was still half asleep from the anaesthetic , (which I took forever to come out of because they gave me too much) shook my head and went back to sleep. When I woke up hours later crying because I hadnt eaten in over 24 hours they laughed at me and told me I should have eaten my dinner.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 6:50 am

The NHS is terrible.

I went back to hospital last night because I was in a great deal of pain and needed a chest drain inserting. 6 hours I lay, writhing in agony without so much as a glass of water, never mind painkillers. I discharged myself in disgust, as the standard of care (I live alone) is actually better at home.

How long does a pneumathorax take to heal by itself? :cry:

I'd have gone to the infirmary in the next nearest city if it wasn't also run by the NHS. FFS.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2014, 7:23 am

I was in hospital when I had Cancer for operations and chemo (all clear btw).

I find the NHS to be pretty good. Although A&E is awful. The staff there don't enjoy there jobs, they see so many people day in day out that half of them don't have a care of concern for the patient. Outside of A&E though it's good. The Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham is outstanding.

sueinphilly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2014, 10:39 am

I entered at mental institution 2 weeks before my 18th birthday in 1979.

I was there for 8 1/2 months. My diagnosis at the time was adolescent adjustment disorder and body dysmorphic disorder.

I was in the psych ward of a general hospital for a month in 1985 because I was suicidal

Every single day I have to force myself to exist. The ONLY reason I do not kill myself is because of my son.
He's grown and doesn't 'need' me, but I refuse to abandon him (and he thanks me for that)

My son knows my entire mental health history. Thankfully, he is no afflicted with any mental issues

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 4:03 pm

Pobbles wrote:
Woke up one morning in my own bed in a great deal of pain and experiencing flashing lights in my right eye. Someone had apparently brought me eyedrops in the night (from the local hospital) and left them at my bedside table. I was also fully clothed, and quite fragrant.

After looking in the mirror I realised I'd been in some kind of altercation. Both my eyes were bloodshot, both lips split, nose all swollen, and what appeared to be male bootprints at various places on my skull. Once investigated, I was told I was attacked by a gang of ten or more the previous evening, and nearly beaten to death. An ambulance took me to hospital, badly concussed. When I complained to the hospital for allowing me to go home in such a poor state, I was told that I had discharged myself after becoming impatient and aggressive 8O
(knowing me I was probably aching for a cup of tea)

This was all news to me, I didn't remember a single thing. I had two weeks off work to allow my face to heal (customer facing job) while I was waiting for laser surgery to cauterise the damage to the back of my right eye. During this period I was given Atropine Sulphate eyedrops for my damaged eye, which dilated the iris and paralysed it.

I loved having eyes like that, totally mismatched. (once the scleras had reverted to their usual white)
I declined the pirate's eyepatch I was offered. Staring over my dark sunglasses at people became a game, I enjoyed seeing how long people could hold my gaze without freaking out.

Must remember to buy some black contact lenses, and only wear one. 8)

im surprised they let you leave and did not just pump you full of ativan