Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 1:35 am

L_Holmes wrote:
What I don't think they are considering is that they are comparing me to people who have known for quite a while what their problem was because they had a diagnosis as a child or in their early teens, and probably had help for it, and also are older than me.

Eh, getting diagnosed in childhood doesn't help that much. I should know. Most of the time I was either given no help or unsuitable help. What you said about your grandparents not knowing the difference between aspergers and classical autism? During childhood I was treated by psychologists who claimed to specialize in autism, working for an organisation known as the Autism Association who still didn't know the difference between aspergers and classical autism.

As for my early diagnosis, it was good knowing why I was different but it was also a burden in the back of my mind. I wonder if I would've been happier not knowing. When I got older I started using it as an excuse, not only for things that were my fault but also for things that weren't my fault but may have had other causes, preventing earlier diagnoses of a few other problems I now suspect I had.

L_Holmes wrote:
I'm still a lot more immature than most people my age and still have difficulties with even basic things like hygiene and remembering to eat so I don't lose weight.

I wouldn't say you're all that immature. When I was your age I didn't have a job, a driver's licence or plans to move out (and I couldn't remember to stop eating so I wouldn't gain weight. There are plenty of people in their 20s, including NTs, who lack one or more of those things... especially the driver's licence. I don't know why but most of my friends don't drive. It's as though driving is going out of style. Some of them haven't gotten 'round to it but some of them have made a conscious decision not to drive :roll:

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 6:12 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
What I don't think they are considering is that they are comparing me to people who have known for quite a while what their problem was because they had a diagnosis as a child or in their early teens, and probably had help for it, and also are older than me.

Eh, getting diagnosed in childhood doesn't help that much. I should know. Most of the time I was either given no help or unsuitable help. What you said about your grandparents not knowing the difference between aspergers and classical autism? During childhood I was treated by psychologists who claimed to specialize in autism, working for an organisation known as the Autism Association who still didn't know the difference between aspergers and classical autism.

As for my early diagnosis, it was good knowing why I was different but it was also a burden in the back of my mind. I wonder if I would've been happier not knowing. When I got older I started using it as an excuse, not only for things that were my fault but also for things that weren't my fault but may have had other causes, preventing earlier diagnoses of a few other problems I now suspect I had.

L_Holmes wrote:
I'm still a lot more immature than most people my age and still have difficulties with even basic things like hygiene and remembering to eat so I don't lose weight.

I wouldn't say you're all that immature. When I was your age I didn't have a job, a driver's licence or plans to move out (and I couldn't remember to stop eating so I wouldn't gain weight. There are plenty of people in their 20s, including NTs, who lack one or more of those things... especially the driver's licence. I don't know why but most of my friends don't drive. It's as though driving is going out of style. Some of them haven't gotten 'round to it but some of them have made a conscious decision not to drive :roll:

the bracket never ends
THE BRACKET NEVER ENDS
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:P

RetroGamer87 wrote:
(and I couldn't remember to stop eating so I wouldn't gain weight. There are plenty of people in their 20s, including NTs, who lack one or more of those things... especially the driver's licence. I don't know why but most of my friends don't drive. It's as though driving is going out of style. Some of them haven't gotten 'round to it but some of them have made a conscious decision not to drive :roll:

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

See, these are the things I'm working on. I'm at least 9 kg underweight (20 lbs) and I only really eat when I am hungry. Foods like ice cream or candies are eaten only when I feel like it.

I'm also worried about sustaining a job and clean home/apartment.