Russell Barkley's summation of what autism is

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

Norny wrote:
... but it is true that autistic individuals struggle to relate to others (especially if not HFA/AS). My friend has told me many times face-to-face, that despite how close he gets to people, he still feels that there is always 'something missing'.

I feel the same way.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 11:47 pm

B19 wrote:
I am of the view that the most common co-morbid, by the proverbial country mile, is anxiety. Very few ASD people do not report it. Very few, percentage wise, of ASD people are mentally ret*d. The claim that they are is misleading and irresponsible, especially from someone who enjoys "expert" status, IMO.

Anxiety that is not inclusive of an autism diagnosis (such as anxiety in response to change) is what would be considered.. so disorders like SAD or GAD as independent of the autism diagnosis. If this were not true then it could be argued that autism is, in the technical sense, mental retardation, as it is a pervasive developmental delay. However, this way, neither are comorbids.

Anxiety disorders are not built in to neurology, but individuals' genetics can predisposition them as more likely to develop such disorders. Mental retardation is neurological in nature. According to various sources, 70-80% of autistic individuals were mentally handicapped, but that number is now decreasing as the diagnostic restrictions lessen, and more HFA/AS are diagnosed. These disabilities are comorbid to autism in the same way ADHD may be.

I feel on edge when discussing these terms. Please know that I am only expressing my opinion concerning Russell, and not throwing them around willingly. I have been attacked many times in the past for being a 'messenger', so I am very careful with my usage of terms.

Mentally 'ret*d' is thrown around nowadays insult, so I can definitely see where the offensive nature lies, but I don't believe Russell meant it this way.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

B19 wrote:
Very few, percentage wise, of ASD people are mentally ret*d. The claim that they are is misleading and irresponsible, especially from someone who enjoys "expert" status, IMO.

What is "very few"?

As of 2010, the CDC reported percentage of people with ASD + intellectual disability (IQ of 70 or lower) in the US was 31%. The percentage of people with ASD + borderline intellectual disability (IQ of 71 - 85) was 23%. (link).

Love transcends all.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:37 am

I think this study was done on children who were 8 years old, relatively recently. The results can't be generalised to the entire ASD population which is made up of children, adolescents, young adults, mature and senior adults, at every point in the spectrum.

The children diagnosed at 8 are possibly on the more serious side, though that's a speculation of mine. In any case, the sample isn't representative of everyone alive today who is on the spectrum.

T

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:41 am

By the 1970s definition of autism, intellectual challenges were very common.

As it stands now, as more and more people become diagnosed with HFA/Asperger's/Level 1 ASD, intellectual challenges within the Spectrum will become even less common.

Approximately five years ago, it was stated that up to half of all people with autism will never develop functional speech. This is definitely not the case today.