If people aren't tools then what are they?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:45 pm

Anybody or anything can become a tool in the right circumstances. Doesn't matter if you're autistic or neurotypical.
That doesn't mean that's all they are.

Canoro
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2015, 11:46 pm

people are beings like you.

are you a tool? maybe a piece of this social machine we call "society", or you are something more than that?
when you are not contributing to the machine, which is to generate money, to create things, to establish networks of relationship with people, are you still a tool? are you still contributing with the machine when you are alone by yourself? probably not, you are being yourself, that part of every human that is more than being a tool. thats true, people help each other and get united to reach goals, and become tools to each other while they are working to reach a goal, but when they are not doing that, they stop being tools, and they become completely themselves, (note: they are being themselves too when they become tools, they are being tools and themselves at the same time), when they are not tools they do what they enjoy, relationships with the people they like, entertainment in forms that they enjoy, or they are taking care of themselves, relaxing, eating, taking a shower, cleaning their environment.

humans are partially tools when they want to.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:05 am

Fnord wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Honestly, I view other people as tools for the most part, things to help me accomplish goals. I know people are more than that, but in the grand scheme of things, if I didn't need other people to accomplish things, I probably wouldn't even bother with them. Goals, to me, can mean a wide range of things, from material things like money, to metaphysical concepts like companionship. Call it overly-literal autistic thinking, but that's just how I roll. It drives other people nuts, but it's their fault that they refuse to understand how I think of things.

*puts up barriers in preparation for the barrage of angry comments*
How could you have used only one space between sentences? Don't you know that two spaces makes posts much more readable? Honestly; the nerve of some people!

:wink: I'm only kidding! Besides, I agree with you!

I'm actually a bit surprised that someone on here agrees with me. :P I mean, it's not very nice to call someone a "tool", but that's honestly what other people are to me, for the most part. A screwdriver can be a means to an end, a wrench can be a means to an end, a computer can be a means to an end, and a person can certainly be a means to an end. People can be quite fickle and uncooperative, but when they're willing to cooperate, they can be some of the best tools around.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 2:45 am

sparrowblue wrote:
starfox wrote:
Sparowblue u think you have a good way of explaining things

What do you mean?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "u" was a typo and was supposes to be "I".

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:33 am

Quote:
Viewing people as tools isn’t psychopathy it’s an approach, a format to use to achieve an objective. A compensation for not understanding relationships a common feature of asd. It provides a structured way to interact and it’s designed and effective for survival, independence, but it doesn’t work for creating relationships. So a new format must be created with new rules for interaction, guidelines for behavior, approach and conversation. The question is how people would be defined in this socially geared format. What roles they play in relationships.

Very true. A councillor told me this recently. He claimed I don't understand what a relationship is. All my relationships are functional, to exchange information or to provide or receive some function. This is an area people sugar coat though - to some extent everyone requires reciprocity in relations of any kind. Viewing people as purely useful things and expecting them to view you the same way doesn't mean you treat people badly and don't care as psychopaths do.

Quote:
I get the principle of mutual exchange. If I want something from someone I need to pay for it offer something in return.

Agreed. But people accuse me of coldness with this attitude. I simply see it as balanced, polite, not using other people without contributing anything. I don't like owing people, being in their debts.