Do you ever think you give the 'creep' vibe?

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 10:37 pm

I suspect those who are majorly creeped out by the AS types are somewhat less creeped out by sociopaths, and vice-versa.

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2016, 11:19 pm

I know some people get weird first impressions of me, but I don't think any of them find me creepy. Some people seem biased in my favor, many people think I'm "innocent" (sexually ignorant and or more sex-averse than I actually am, and they seem to find this charming), and some people consider me a snob. I once had someone straight up tell me "I used to think you were a snob but it turns out you're actually nice!!" and it occurred to me in retrospect that a lot of people probably had that opinion.

For the record (it almost certainly matters), I'm female.

Regarding the "uncanny valley," I feel like I'm more resistant to it than most people, but I'm not completely unaffected. Like, the valley is narrower, possibly shallower. I think those doll heads that were pictured are okay; they look just barely fake enough to dodge the valley. I'm guessing the finished versions look creepier.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm

Cyllya1 wrote:
I know some people get weird first impressions of me, but I don't think any of them find me creepy. Some people seem biased in my favor, many people think I'm "innocent" (sexually ignorant and or more sex-averse than I actually am, and they seem to find this charming), and some people consider me a snob. I once had someone straight up tell me "I used to think you were a snob but it turns out you're actually nice!!" and it occurred to me in retrospect that a lot of people probably had that opinion. For the record (it almost certainly matters), I'm female. Regarding the "uncanny valley," I feel like I'm more resistant to it than most people, but I'm not completely unaffected. Like, the valley is narrower, possibly shallower. I think those doll heads that were pictured are okay; they look just barely fake enough to dodge the valley. I'm guessing the finished versions look creepier.

http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=19085
above is the link to the doll page. I think they are SO BEAUTIFUL! :heart:

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 11:47 pm

Cyllya1 wrote:
Many people think I'm "innocent" (sexually ignorant and or more sex-averse than I actually am, and they seem to find this charming)

People do the same thing with me, its really annoying.

Cyllya1 wrote:
Regarding the "uncanny valley," I feel like I'm more resistant to it than most people, but I'm not completely unaffected.

I also get how an aspie could be in the uncanny valley. I think its about the way some of us speak or our way to express ourselves. For example, theres that other aspie in science class (Stereotypical, i know. :roll:) who's like 7ft. tall (Nothing to do with ASD) and his clothes don't fit they're like too short so it looks funny, he also has greasy, bad cut hair.

It sucks because he wants to speak his knowledge in tech and all that stuff but it takes very long and he always manages to make it awkward even the teacher gets uneasy and the other kids laugh and whisper things about him. :(

But anyways I've noticed almost if not all the aspie at my school, including me, always stick to the same, outfashionned clothing and we have messy haircuts sometimes drenched in grease and pellicules and that our dedication for some subjects at school make others laugh or get uneasy.

In Québec only 5% of the population does good in English and I'm one of the few so in English everytime we have a test after we corrected theres always that Biff Tannen who forcefully takes my sheet and looks at the grade I got and laughs about it in a mocking way.

Also in ethics and religion class even though religion is s**t I still memorize all the information so today we were doing some thing where we had to find words, names and other BS about major religions and I could write some of them down just by thinking but others I had to check in some information guides things but I navigated through them pretty quickly and efficiently and finished in about 1.5 classes whilst others in teams of three searched all of the answers one by one and still weren't finished. They were super impressed and didn't believe it they were saying "How the f**k did you do that 8O"

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 12:26 am

If you're a weirdo, it seems to be morally indecent for you to do anything right.

Yigeren wrote:
I find the really fake charming people to be extremely obvious. They scare me, because I can tell the charm is put-on. Other people (NTs) often seem to fall for the fake charm.

I tend to get this feeling from salesman, ladies' men, very successful female professionals, lawyers, some doctors, etc.

Do you think they really fall for it? I'm more inclined to believe they just pretend to fall for it, because their social intuition tells them it wouldn't be socially acceptable to do otherwise. After all, it'd mark them as weirdos like us :lol:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:07 am

I'm not entirely sure whether or not they do really fall for it, however, I'm pretty sure that some do. Maybe the rest are just playing the social game.

It's really odd, because as bad as my social intuition is, I can spot the charming fakers a mile away. They have a coldness about them. The voice, facial expressions, and words don't match up. And the smiles are exaggerated, while the eyes don't smile at all. The tone of voice is overdone as well.

I saw some video about Ted Bundy once, and they showed some clip of him, apparently to illustrate how charming he was. I found absolutely nothing charming about his demeanor. Perhaps it was only my bias, knowing that he was a serial killer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:13 am

Yigeren wrote:
I'm not entirely sure whether or not they do really fall for it, however, I'm pretty sure that some do. Maybe the rest are just playing the social game. It's really odd, because as bad as my social intuition is, I can spot the charming fakers a mile away. They have a coldness about them. The voice, facial expressions, and words don't match up. And the smiles are exaggerated, while the eyes don't smile at all. The tone of voice is overdone as well. I saw some video about Ted Bundy once, and they showed some clip of him, apparently to illustrate how charming he was. I found absolutely nothing charming about his demeanor. Perhaps it was only my bias, knowing that he was a serial killer.

that was what my mother noticed about them, their "mean eyes" but smiling faces.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:22 am

I don't think I give any creepy vibe.
But that is not really for me to judge, as I could give off a creepy vibe without knowing that I do, and the vibe is someone else's feeling, not my own.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:30 am

I think my focus on detail helps me to notice the fake-charming people. Like the eyes that don't smile. Or the tone of voice that is off.

I've hated those types since I was a small child. They are all smiles, over-acting, overly enthusiastic, in-your-face, sickeningly-sweetly obvious.

People with autism just seem awkward, not creepy.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 1:46 am

Yigeren wrote:
I think my focus on detail helps me to notice the fake-charming people. Like the eyes that don't smile. Or the tone of voice that is off.

I've hated those types since I was a small child. They are all smiles, over-acting, overly enthusiastic, in-your-face, sickeningly-sweetly obvious.

I mentioned this in the most recent "questions about psychopaths" thread...like deja vu. Your idea of attention to detail is what i also conclude gives me that ability as well. I call this group "fakers" because theh play the NT social game very well, but the small details in expression or tone of voice don't always match the emotional message they are trying to convey. How most people don't catch it, I'll never know, perhaps it's just one of those autistic super abilities.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 3:02 am

Aristophanes wrote:
I mentioned this in the most recent "questions about psychopaths" thread...like deja vu. Your idea of attention to detail is what i also conclude gives me that ability as well. I call this group "fakers" because theh play the NT social game very well, but the small details in expression or tone of voice don't always match the emotional message they are trying to convey. How most people don't catch it, I'll never know, perhaps it's just one of those autistic super abilities.

I'm not sure if all autistic people can do it, but it seems like some of us can.

When I was younger I could never figure out how I knew that some people were bad. I'd tell my mother "that lady is not nice, I don't like her", but I wouldn't be able to tell how I knew. Then later it would become apparent that I was correct.

For awhile (a short while) when I was a kid I assumed I must be psychic. Then later on in my life after analyzing what it was that seemed bad about these people, I was able to figure it out.

It doesn't work with the regular bad people though. Just the fake-charming ones. Other people that are behaving more naturally and not really acting can cover up their natures more easily.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2016, 5:18 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

I've only noticed them based on the discrepancy between what they say to various people to get the other people to like them. Faking smiles is common enough for that to not be a sure sign.

The diference between autistics and NTs is that NTs operate based on instinct, which is far from always accurate, they don't actually think about these things, while we have to actually know this explicitely.

Returning to the question of Uncanny Valley (I'll use UV for short after this), I am aware of the theory that autistics tend to fall into it, causing the most problems with lack of acceptance. Most interventions appear to be geared toward making aspies act more like normal people, but that is insanely hard, because UV operates on the detection of small diferences from the norm. I strongly suspect that the easier way of getting out of the UV for an aspie is to become more weird, not less weird, in order to climb out of the UV.

IceLilja
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2016, 2:36 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I find the really fake charming people to be extremely obvious. They scare me, because I can tell the charm is put-on. Other people (NTs) often seem to fall for the fake charm.

I tend to get this feeling from salesman, ladies' men, very successful female professionals, lawyers, some doctors, etc.

Sociopaths, from what I've read, tend to be attracted to careers where they are in positions of power. Careers that are low-paying, require a lot of empathy, or that do not get a lot of recognition or admiration are not attractive to sociopaths.

A lot of the people that I get the creepy vibe from I think are either sociopaths or narcissists.

I know that I seem odd to others, but I don't think I usually creep them out.

- Many of them are also in healthcare. Have met quite a few. I also have the same experience as you on many of these things you mention :) How old are you?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 2:54 pm

^ Older than 30, but younger than 35 :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 6:51 pm

^^^that's a GOOD age to be, lemme tell ya :bounce: I'm younger than 100 myself :mrgreen:

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 6:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^that's a GOOD age to be, lemme tell ya :bounce: I'm younger than 100 myself :mrgreen:

:lol: it's good as long as you're younger than :skull: I think