Why autistic men tend to have higher pitched voices

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 12:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Nah, if I ever went into music it would be playing an instrument, probably piano or drums. I played a guitar once before. :dj:

you can play guitar again! play all three. :idea: get a multitrack recorder and be a one man band. :dj:

I think just being able to play it once was a fluke. If I ever have another chance I would at least give it a try. :) I played the piano when I was little, my dad's family had one of those big air-ones.

As for your other question, my voice didn't change at that time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 12:37 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:

so did your voice deepen by any amount between age 12 and age 20?

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 12:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

No, not really. Weird huh?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 12:59 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

mebbe it did but for some reason it doesn't register with your hearing? would you say your voice was in a similar register as Michael Jackson?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 2:23 am

It could also be do to the fact many autistic males have lower testosterone levels.

mikeman7918 wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
I don't even watch British media (aside from BBC docs).

I have done a bit of research a while ago about autism and accents (because what else would I be doing with my time) and there are a lot of aspies outside the United States who sound like they have a badly faked American accent. This seems to be because of our tendency to use a more monotone voice, and aperently an American accent has less vocal inflection then other accents so a lack of vocal inflection sounds more American. For aspies in the United States their accent still doesn't sound quite American a lot of the time. It could be that something like this is happening with us.

It's a myth that aspies tend to have a more monotone voice, actually aspies tending to have a wider range of inflection. The inflection is just done wrong.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 9:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

mebbe it did but for some reason it doesn't register with your hearing? would you say your voice was in a similar register as Michael Jackson?

No, not really.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 10:14 am

I had always thought the opposite was true, that autistic men usually had much lower voices. I wonder if the same is true about autistic women? You'd think we'd sound like The Chipmunks! :)

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I had always thought the opposite was true, that autistic men usually had much lower voices. I wonder if the same is true about autistic women? You'd think we'd sound like The Chipmunks! :)

I'm not really sure. My speaking voice is sort of on the high end, and I sing mezzo-soprano.

I asked my boyfriend for his opinion on my voice and this is what he said:
"It is high-pitched, but not high enough to be annoying. It's the perfect combination of girliness, cuteness and elegance. It's amazingly soothing and comforting to hear."

I guess this means I can't join the Chipettes. :lol:

EggStirMeanAte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2016, 10:43 pm

I always feel like I have a deeper than average voice, but upon playing back a recording of my voice I discovered that it's WAY higher than I thought.

Also, the conversation about accents was reassuring. I've moved a lot, and wherever I live (including my home town) people tell me my accent is "different" but can't explain how.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 11:10 am

Mr Blabby.....you can also sing Mr Bass Man. Having Paul Robeson's register isn't bad at all.

My voice changed from boy soprano to tenor when J was 14.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 2:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mr Blabby.....you can also sing Mr Bass Man. Having Paul Robeson's register isn't bad at all.
My voice changed from boy soprano to tenor when J was 14.

thank you :flower: I don't mind my voice at all, actually- but it does restrict my repertoire to unhip stuff. even roger Whitaker's stuff is almost too high-pitched for me to handle. about the only hip song I can handle, is bobby short's version of "real live girl." :dj:

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 9:46 am

Quote:
I have done a bit of research a while ago about autism and accents (because what else would I be doing with my time) and there are a lot of aspies outside the United States who sound like they have a badly faked American accent. This seems to be because of our tendency to use a more monotone voice, and aperently an American accent has less vocal inflection then other accents so a lack of vocal inflection sounds more American. For aspies in the United States their accent still doesn't sound quite American a lot of the time. It could be that something like this is happening with us.

Honestly, I hate hearing the sound of my own voice. It's not very high-pitched, but it does come across as less masculine than I'd like it to. Almost whiney at times. I do use inflection, although sometimes I come across as sounding flat. My facial expressions don't always register like an NT.

I've never had a strong regional accent despite growing up in rural New Hampshire where a lot of people do have the stereotypical New England accent (well, one of several, distinct regional accents) going on. Sometimes I wish I did sound more like a New Englander like some of my peers still do.

I've lived in Tennessee for more than half my life now, and whatever accent I did have is now mostly neutralized. When I go back to New England to visit, people tell me they pick up on a slight southern accent. Several years back I was eating at a restaurant in Maine with my wife, and the server made a comment about "you guys" being from the South. I'd assumed at first he was talking about my wife, but when I asked how he knew that he said it was due to MY accent. :|

My Official Facebook Page

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:50 am

I'm a tenor who goes occasionally to baritone when I feel confident.

My accent is the Woody Allen accent--a "Jewish" New York City accent, though hopefully not as whiny LOL

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 10:09 am

Not me, I have a voice like Tom Waits.

Oscar Meyer Lansky