Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 6:27 pm

I would wish to alleviate suffering for whatever reason it arises, but I’m not sure curing autism is necessarily alleviating suffering.
When I think of my father who although undiagnosed, I’m fairly sure has autism I love all those ‘autistic’ traits in him. I love his life long dedication to his passion, his adherence to his routines, his disinclination to change to suit others even his totally embarrassing behaviour (though this has been a source of shame for me at times...!)
I have always wished I could live my life like he does, but I’ve always been too scared. I have coped by keeping quiet and doing nothing unless I could verify it was the right thing and wouldn’t result in persecution.
Anyway, I’m off on a tangent here- my point is if you took away autism from my dad he would not be the person I admire and aspire to be like.

I’m still waiting (...and waiting.....) for my full assessment but assuming I have autism too, if you cured me of autism I fear you would take some of the better and more interesting parts of me that I like and leave me still struggling with chronic anxiety issues and other mental health stuff.

I think the suffering people endure may be relieved in another way, though I do know that my understanding and knowledge of other people’s difficulties is incomplete and I wouldn’t tell someone they couldn’t be cured if they wanted to be.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 2:02 am

With Autism there are advantages and disadvantages. Personally I would rather get rid of the disadvantages and keep the advantages.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2018, 12:03 pm

Exactly, i want to be perfect. And extremely successfull in life, not be a autistic loser.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 12:17 pm

Not mine. If I could keep the exact same personality/talents/lack of talents basically be the same person and lose my sensory sensitivity I would do that though.
Whereas things like my social anxiety (I didn't always have this, in fact my autism kind of shielded me from a healthy level of social awareness/slight social anxiety which is natural in most people, for many years I think which is why when it hit it hit so hard) and my dyspraxia, I would definitely cure.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 1:38 pm

No way!

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2018, 1:50 pm

Why not?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 4:05 pm

F****** hell no!

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2018, 4:13 pm

Why not? Because of my autism i will probably end up homeless.