Anyone else surprised by their ASD "level" diagnosis?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2019, 7:48 am

A little. I'm level 2. I probably would have been viewed as level 1 when younger. Perhaps with more initiative, I could be level 1 even now. These rather 'loose' categories seem like they would be receptive to environmental factors and aren't innate and fixed. I still prefer the old label of Asperger Syndrome as I think it's much more specific and precise and defines me better.

ImaBandito1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2019, 5:17 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I'm curious as to what is seen as 'substantial support' . How is that defined? I'm in the UK where currently we don't have such levels .

The UK does have such levels as I was diagnosed with level 2 in November last year

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:28 pm

ImaBandito1 wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I'm curious as to what is seen as 'substantial support' . How is that defined? I'm in the UK where currently we don't have such levels .

The UK does have such levels as I was diagnosed with level 2 in November last year

It would seem to be on a post code basis . As where I am the Asperger's dx is still used . Based on purely ASD symptoms I'd most likely be level 1 .

However throw schizoaffective disorder, probable dyspraxia and learning difficulty into the mix, and it's a whole different ball game functioning wise .

Pedant
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2019, 12:36 pm

Different doctors have different understandings of the diagnostic labels and consequently apply them differently. Certain circumstances can also affect how they are used. A good doctor will not only have a person's current ability in mind but will also consider which label will provide an accurate description of their needs in the foreseeable future.

For example, I was diagnosed with Level 1 autism, although the same doctors who gave me that diagnosis told me outright, "Do not attempt to leave home right now. You still need your family's help to function adequately." I've also been urged not to seek out employment at the moment. Most people who require that level of support at my age would be classed as Level 2, but my doctors believe that I probably have the potential to live independently within a year or two. Even this soon after being diagnosed, I feel that I'm very close to a "proper" Level 1 standard thanks to the treatment I've received and the support I have access to.

At your age, your doctor might be considering that your functioning level is getting ready to decline. There have been some studies related to the cognitive decline of HFA sufferers that suggest the possibility of a faster decline (although it's hard to study since the average age at death for autistics is significantly lower; sufficiently aged participants are hard to find). Even if that's not the case, though, the normal effects of aging might push you over the edge of Level 2 sooner than they would a non-sufferer. You're not elderly yet, I guess, but you're getting there. Much better for you that the doctor anticipates that decline in cognitive ability so you won't have to be reassessed when you do need substantial support.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 2:00 pm

Food for the brain cognition test.

Certainly in terms of practical skills I don't do well. However that was always the case. The only practical skill I'm reasonably good at is managing my money . Some months I spend more than others, but I'm not in a heap of debt. Essential bills are paid by direct debit .

Cleaner comes in twice a week . Stepdaughter mainly/granddaughters if not, take(s) me grocery shopping . Stepdaughter comes to appointments with me .Stepdaughter keeps an eye on my hygiene . I don't always notice when my clothes need changing . She says when I need a haircut .

Physically I'm significantly overweight though my stepdaughter has said I've lost some. BP OK, cholesterol OK, liver functioning OK,kidney functioning excellent, folic acid low- take a 400mg pill each day. The weight may have caused some wear and tear at the base of my spine . Tend to get lower back pain after walking for a moderate amount of time .

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 9:07 pm

I can take care of myself and in fact I help take care of my husband whose functioning due to his medical needs are worse than mine... But without the mental health system checking up on me I couldn't. I do have some trouble with executive function.

Of course to this day I'm still undiagnosed and I've never been formally evaluated. Everyone calls me "typical Asperger's female" but these people are therapists or the general public.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020