Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 2:26 pm

I do that with the long loops. If I really want them tied, I'll do the surgeons knot first (three wrap in place of two), then the loops tied on top.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2022, 2:30 pm

Yeah an extra twist on both or either of the half knots makes it more secure, I prefer to do that with the second one if needed.

/Mats

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2022, 9:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
I no longer have the inability to make eye contact.

What prevented eye contact in the past? I'm genuinely fascinated by this. I have much ASD traits going on but no issues with eye contact. I can't conceive how it could be difficult. I'm trying to learn here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:30 pm

Elgee wrote:
Fnord wrote:

What prevented eye contact in the past? I'm genuinely fascinated by this. I have much ASD traits going on but no issues with eye contact. I can't conceive how it could be difficult. I'm trying to learn here.

some people have mean eyes, penetrating eyes with no warmth, cold as ice. eyes that see into one's soul for ulterior motives. those eyes are hard to look at.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:42 pm

It's like a stranger looking into your soul and you don't want them there, a violation.

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2022, 11:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Elgee wrote:
Fnord wrote:

some people have mean eyes, penetrating eyes with no warmth, cold as ice. eyes that see into one's soul for ulterior motives. those eyes are hard to look at.

I was thinking the posters (and others) were resistant to ANY eye contact, even from the kindly older lady who's helping you find something at Walmart, or the nice young man taking your order at McDonald's. And just average people like neighbors, cashiers, coworkers. \

Where have you seen all these cold, icy, penetrating eyes? I see them only in mug shots.

Even people I hate who I think are as*holes don't have eyes that can be described as such. Again, I'm trying to learn something here. If someone has mean cold eyes and is looking at me, I'm the type of person who will return the favor as a show of "You can't control me" or "I'm not afraid of you; don't try anything if you know what's good for you." Do I like it? NO. But this approach establishes my Alpha role that makes men realize don't mess with ME. 50+ years and have never been sexually assaulted or groped. This isn't a coincidence.

Not bragging; just being upfront and straightforward so that you understand why the eye contact thing fascinates me.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:00 am

I've learned how to make eye contact, it was a career requirement. There are tricks but I still had to force myself to do it. I would say it became easier as I aged and became more confident. The pain is still there. I would rather watch people using the peripheral vision. When I force it, I'll try to flip it by telling myself I'm looking into their soul then switch to the eyebrow or earlobe.

It's a spectrum and there is a difference in the stress levels each feels or experiences. It doesn't matter that I could be looking into a doe eye swedish bikini models eyes, I feel the devil looking into me, naked and scared.

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2022, 12:05 am

txfz1 wrote:
I've learned how to make eye contact, it was a career requirement. There are tricks but I still had to force myself to do it. I would say it became easier as I aged and became more confident. The pain is still there. I would rather watch people using the peripheral vision. When I force it, I'll try to flip it by telling myself I'm looking into their soul then switch to the eyebrow or earlobe.

It's a spectrum and there is a difference in the stress levels each feels or experiences. It doesn't matter that I could be looking into a doe eye swedish bikini models eyes, I feel the devil looking into me, naked and scared.

Do you find eyes ugly? Or is it just a feeling (devil looking into you) that's generated when the direct contact is made? In other words, despite having this sensation of being naked and peered at by the devil, can you simultaneously also see beauty in that bikini model's eyes? Some women have beautiful, gorgeous eyes, and it's difficult to believe that THOSE eyes could generate such a fear-inducing sensation. The eyes I can't look directly at are those of frogs, crocodiles, alligators and insects.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:18 am

I see the beauty of eyes but feel the pain. I would also say that if there is love, I can look into 'em differently. As a photographer, when capturing people and animals, it's critical to ensure the eyes are the sharpest thing in the photo. I still feel the pain editing photos.

You should be okay, just don't be kissing any frog, alligators, or crocs going for a prince.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:34 am

Elgee wrote:
Where have you seen all these cold, icy, penetrating eyes? I see them only in mug shots.

in the army and in the uncivil service.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:51 pm

I don't have clumsy hands. They can do very fine detailed work.

I don't seem to maintain personal space, not sure if it's an autistic thing or cultural? I'm a hugging inside your jacket kind of person.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2022, 4:12 pm

I'm not a picky eater, as I like trying different foods.

I don't have the stereotypical stimming behaviors such as hand flapping or rocking.

I might have special interests, but I don't talk all the time about them.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm

I refer to myself as I.

I don't repeatedly pick at my skin or scalp.

I don't have a texture, light sensory.

So 4 out of 120 list for an adult.

Crackers in a pot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2022, 12:50 pm

I'm not sure if I have ASD, but I don't have:

-Restricted taste. I eat everything lol, the things I don't eat don't have any correlation to each other, so I think it's just personal preference.

-Being bad at small talk. I think I'm quite ok with small talk, I'm just not good at afterwords, when the small talk starts turning into a real convo. I'm also not good at starting conversations, but if they start, and they don't make the small talk turn into an unpredictable mess, then I think I'll be ok.

-hate/getting uncomfortable with eye contact. I don't like it, but don't dislike it either, and I can look at someone else's eyes without being uncomfortable with it.

-Being particularly obsessed with data, or numbers. I hate maths lol

JourneyFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2022, 5:09 pm

Crackers in a pot wrote:
I'm not sure if I have ASD, but I don't have:

-Restricted taste. I eat everything lol, the things I don't eat don't have any correlation to each other, so I think it's just personal preference.

-Being bad at small talk. I think I'm quite ok with small talk, I'm just not good at afterwords, when the small talk starts turning into a real convo. I'm also not good at starting conversations, but if they start, and they don't make the small talk turn into an unpredictable mess, then I think I'll be ok.

-hate/getting uncomfortable with eye contact. I don't like it, but don't dislike it either, and I can look at someone else's eyes without being uncomfortable with it.

-Being particularly obsessed with data, or numbers. I hate maths lol

I see that this is your first post, so thank you for using it on my topic!

I think the "obsession with numbers" thing is just a stereotype. I am no good with numbers either, but I can do simple sums in my head. I am more obsessed with words/grammar.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 9:47 pm

All of them. "ASD Traits" isn't a thing. If it was then it could be easily defined and none would have to question whether they are on the spectrum or not. All the "traits" that have been listed here other people do them as well.

The idea of labeling certain "traits" under the ASD umbrella baffles me because anything you list other people do it as well. It might not be to the degree of those with Autism(or it could be worse than a person that is on the spectrum) but, like I said autism isn't just a list of traits that you check off(or don't check) there is more to it than that.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."