Self-Medicating Social Awkwardness with Alcohol

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2007, 9:54 am

ya, but it calms ya down a little, loosens ya up so being relaxed, you feel good and will be preceived as layed back, as opposed to being complely sober, tho id count drinks if I were ya, i know for me id keep chuggin along, get drunk, then your social skills take a sharp dive, a nice buzz will do wonders for your social life, u gotta find a good balance

thoca
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2007, 8:15 am

I went to a club last night and did not self-medicate on alcohol. I came home
completely euphoric that I was able to stay at a club for a couple of hours without
alcohol, without sensory overload, and without disabling social anxieties. I don't
know if I will ever be able to repeat the experiment, but for the moment it feels really, really great.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 12:14 pm

Congratulations, Thoca. I'm happy for you.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2007, 1:00 pm

jeeze thoca, good job, u r tougher then I am, I always thought that for someone with the issues I was born with I was veryyyy good, and tough in social situations, but never could I do that, id have to have something in order to be in that club, does not nessissarily have to be alcohol, actually latly id prefer it not be, but id definatly need my percocetts to keep me feelin good and mellow, its rough, i have spent years medicating while in public, just cant relax, feel confident without, im ashiamed this is the case, any pointers??? :wink:

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:25 pm

This is a great thread mmaestro. I used to say pubs were my favourite place:
a) they are dimly lit perfect for an ASer with light sensitivity
b) people are more relaxed
c) after a couple of drinks they are even more relaxed and less likely to notice your social oddities
d) people laugh more become more childlike
e) if I drink I feel more relaxed more social and more talkative

But these days alcohol just has a sedative effect I don't get the same pleasurable relief from it. On the whole I'd say in small quantities its good, if you become dependent on it then you start down a slippery slope. I once saw a sign in a pub with the words stand still and rot that could apply to time spent in a pub, if you're not enjoying yourself that is.

TheOddSockGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2007, 2:46 pm

Last time I got drunk I went totally mad... I ended up having sex with a guy up against a park fence... I got into really big trouble with my college (Ruskin Mill :P) and they forced me to have an IUD fitted and wouldn't let me and Stuart (the name of the of the boy I had sex with, who also has AS) see each other... Life sux...

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 2:51 pm

TheOddSockGirl wrote:
they forced me to have an IUD fitted

Forced how? That sounds utterly illegal to me.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2007, 4:55 pm

what is an IUD anyways?? That sounds crazy how can the collage make u not see this guy, u r adults? Aside from changing ya for ludness er kicking ya outa school they can force ya to do anything, they can tell ya, if u dont cooperate then well charge or expell ya, but cant force ya not allowing ya to make a decsision.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 5:01 pm

Intrauterine device, previously known of as "the coil," it's inserted into the womb by a doctor and prevents implantation of a fertilised egg.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2007, 5:45 pm

ohhhh duh!! i shoulda figured, boy do i feel stupid, ya i think she needs to better understand the law a bit, maby educate herself better about what the school can and cant do, at least ive never heard of such a thing, maby shes not from the USA...

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 3:36 pm

I looked up the school she mentioned, it's in Glouchester, England, a school for "young people with special learning needs aged between 16-24 years." I can think of two ways that she could mean "forced," one would be that she could be told without one, she'd be asked to leave the school (I'd certainly want to check up on the legality of that, but I'm not a lawyer, I couldn't say if they could set such a precondition). Second, she could have been declared mentally incapable of making her own medical decisions. It doesn't sound like that's reasonable. Anything else, I think, would be illegal.
Honestly, depending on how precisely this was enforced, it looks like a PR nightmare waiting to happen. I'm reminded of the US forced sterilization program of the mentally ret*d, an industrious reporter could probably make enough of a connection to really fan the fires of public outrage. Assuming, of course, that's what you want.