Is it common for some aspies to not like themselves?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Checkbox
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2023, 7:49 am

KitLily wrote:
But whatever you do, never, ever get too thin. Then you will be ostracised and mocked beyond your worst imaginings. People will say 'I wish I had your health problems, then I'd be thin like you.'

What does that even mean? Wishing to have health problems? What is wrong with people like that???

I relate.
Have chronic digestive disease and I can’t take weight + ARFiD.
My feeding life is a real nightmare … being sick is almost a daily routine for me.

Last edited by Checkbox on 24 Aug 2023, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 7:57 am

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I just meant that it would make sense for one person to point out to another that there is something wrong if one person is say... anorexic or starving themselves. And that could be for the other persons benefit, i.e, highlighting the problem. Constructive criticism is a thing.

Constructive criticism, yes. But 'skinny b|tch' 'thin cow' 'why don't you eat something?' 'what's wrong with you?' type of comment is not helpful. And that is what they say. More mocking than constructive.

blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Being 'just jealous' is no reason to wish ill health on yourself, that is crazy. Good health is more important than anything, really.

I am unsure of what you mean here? My intention was to state that I thought that some overweight people shame skinny people because they are jealous of the lesser weighted person.

What does that have to do with wishing ill health on oneself?

Did you read my previous comment? I said that people often say to me 'I wish I had your health problems, then I'd be as thin as you.'

That's just weird isn't it. Someone wishing serious health problems on themselves is very strange.

I did read your previous comment.

I thought you were replying to something I had said. Never mind.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 8:09 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I did read your previous comment.

I thought you were replying to something I had said. Never mind.

No, no, I was just ranting. Not at you.

Last edited by KitLily on 24 Aug 2023, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 8:17 am

Checkbox wrote:
KitLily wrote:
But whatever you do, never, ever get too thin. Then you will be ostracised and mocked beyond your worst imaginings. People will say 'I wish I had your health problems, then I'd be thin like you.'

What does that even mean? Wishing to have health problems? What is wrong with people like that???

I relate.
Have chronic digestive disease and I can’t take weight + ARFiD.
My feeding life is a real nightmare … being sick is almost a daily routine for me.

Thank you.

As far as I know I've got hypoglycaemia but all tests show 'normal' hahaha. But I should not be collapsing from low blood sugar every day...

Shynum71
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2023, 12:10 pm

I don't like myself as I feel as if I mess up.all the time and make the wrong decisions as my autism and OCD stop me from thinking rationally - my daughter is not answering my texts or calls for the last 4 weeks due to my last minute decision to go and see her in Bournemouth last month - she is a University student there and was angry to see me! :cry:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 12:35 pm

Shynum71 wrote:
I don't like myself as I feel as if I mess up.all the time and make the wrong decisions as my autism and OCD stop me from thinking rationally - my daughter is not answering my texts or calls for the last 4 weeks due to my last minute decision to go and see her in Bournemouth last month - she is a University student there and was angry to see me! :cry:

Maybe part of her growing up,and learning "independance".And having parents show up, around her and her youthful friends... :jester: .especially if unexpected 8O .. cause her to feel less grown up around her friends ??.
She may never understand what you felt about what she did, until she becomes much much older .
Sorry your visit went the way it did ? :|

where ever you go ,there you are

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 1:00 pm

I sometimes wish I had a bit of Fred Rogers living in my brain to help me deal with moments of self hatred.

I had written a very long post about my self hatred, and that, the previous sentence, was how I ended it. So I am just posting that, and this. After all the typing and thinking, it was the most productive thing to come out.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 1:11 pm

Now I Hate Myself can be everyone's favourite band.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 1:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Now I Hate Myself can be everyone's favourite band.

I Hate Myself (band) - Wikipedia

I like the instruments, but I cannot understand the words. That doesn't really reflect on the group, but more my ability to understand song lyrics. I more often than not hear the singer(s) voice as another instrument, and the lyrics are void of meaning. Another example of this is Backstreets by Bruce Springsteen. At some point I looked up the lyrics. Until I did this, I just heard sound, and maybe a word or two would pop out. That was my "frustration song" when I had a bad day in the office. I Hate Myself would have worked to for knocking me out of my frustration moment.

I appreciate the humor of I Hate Myself as a favorite band. "favorite" because I live in the States.