Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 11:58 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
if you're less than a 1/4 of something, it doesn't count.
^^^^^^^^^^
Spot the mega-OCD case! :lol:

So you just got a PhD in genetics and get to make the rules now?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2005, 2:09 am

Please, enough with the 1/2 this, 1/4 that. Why do we have to brag about every blood of ancestry, when we don't even practice any of it? I hear people saying they are part Nat. Am. and yet they show no signs of it publically, nor express it in a legitimate way.

Now concernng Irish heritage, I don't have any. At least that I know of.
But I wouldn't mind a trip to Ireland.

I wonder if any of you of Irish descent or living on the Emerald Isle ever try learning Gaelic? I took a look at it, and it looks absoultely confusing at first. Sadly it is disappearing in many areas.
Oh and have any of you ever find the true Irish form of your last name or even your full name? Much difference in spelling.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 9:39 am

I had to write my name in Irish gaelic on the application form when i tried to join the Irish army. (failed the audiogram on my right ear) Not much of a change just added a couple of language marks and an O' before my second name but my name is very Irish already so most people would have a bigger change. I think Eamonn is Irish gaelic for Edward anyway.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 10:27 am

nocturnalowl wrote:
I wonder if any of you of Irish descent or living on the Emerald Isle ever try learning Gaelic? I took a look at it, and it looks absoultely confusing at first. Sadly it is disappearing in many areas.
Oh and have any of you ever find the true Irish form of your last name or even your full name? Much difference in spelling.

Gaelic is still quite common in Northern and Western Ireland. I used to be acquainted with people from Galway, as well as Belfast that spoke it. It's also spoken somewhat in the Canadian Maritimes as well.

That being said, There's also a LOT of dialectical diversion going on with the Language. Gaelic spoken in Belfast is closer to Scots Gaelic, whilst what is spoken in Galway is a bit differant.

I'm not sure, but I think that learning Gaelic is still required in Irish schools, even though English is the predominant language.

tallgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2005, 12:02 pm

Honestly people, I think she meant actual Irish people, people who live in Ireland.

Tallgirl.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 1:31 pm

nocturnalowl wrote:
I hear people saying they are part Nat. Am. and yet they show no signs of it publically, nor express it in a legitimate way.

And how do you know this?
Are you also wholly or partly Native American? Which tribe?

I am part Native American. My maternal great-grandmother was Lenape. Much of her personal worldview has been passed on unchanged on my mother's side of the family, and my mother is still an active member of our local Lenape Heritage and Cultural Society. :D

My great-great-grandmother on my father's side was also Lenape, but little is known about her and her native culture was rejected. :(

I teach my children what I have learned, and how I choose to live, in hopes that they will embrace the positive values of their Native American heritage -- and maybe even learn something about Pennsylvania history in the process. :wink:

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2005, 1:53 pm

tallgirl wrote:
Honestly people, I think she meant actual Irish people, people who live in Ireland.

Tallgirl.

Yes i think most of us have gathered that but there is nothing wrong with people discussing other things to do with Ireland and its culture is there?

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2005, 2:41 am

Cindy wrote:
nocturnalowl wrote:
I hear people saying they are part Nat. Am. and yet they show no signs of it publically, nor express it in a legitimate way.

And how do you know this?
Are you also wholly or partly Native American? Which tribe?

I am part Native American. My maternal great-grandmother was Lenape. Much of her personal worldview has been passed on unchanged on my mother's side of the family, and my mother is still an active member of our local Lenape Heritage and Cultural Society. :D

My great-great-grandmother on my father's side was also Lenape, but little is known about her and her native culture was rejected. :(

I teach my children what I have learned, and how I choose to live, in hopes that they will embrace the positive values of their Native American heritage -- and maybe even learn something about Pennsylvania history in the process. :wink:

I am of Mex-American descent on both sides of my family (3rd or 4th generation) and like the majority, having Nat. American ancestry comes with the package, in various physical skin tones and stock (I have a dark brownish skin tone favoring indigineous roots, but have a head and facial structure of a Mediterranean person). Only problem is that I don't know which tribe(s) my ancestors came from, and I never asked - which should be a good idea, for my good sakes. I don't really think about knowing my heritage that far, but I do seem curious at times, so I should at least first read up on tribes in the Southwest and Mexico, whether I find out where some of my roots are or not.
I learned about native culture at school, and my grandfather (who was 1/2 native) told me about the way some of the natives lived, in his words. The only way I express my roots best is probably the food I eat or some of the family gatherings I go to. But that dosen't mean enough to me since Mexican culture is blended with indigineous roots in the first place.

What I don't like is someone who claims to be part of an ethnic group or race, but yet still make offensive remarks and show ignorance towards them and knowing little or no information about the group.. There are plenty of mestizo hispanics who offend and can be mean towards Nat. Americans, and yet they have ancestry in them, it is like they know they have it, they might claim it, but totally throw it away by disfranchising themselves with it. I mean how can one claim Aztec heritage (whether or not, they probably have no Aztec blood period) then go and slam the indigineous race?

ChildOfMetatron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2005, 5:42 pm

Hi everyone, Im 100% Irish and live in Dublin. Im a 21 year old female.If there is anyone else who is from Ireland please feel free to contact. People not from Ireland may also contact me. [/code]

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2005, 5:46 pm

3rd generation Irish immigrant here.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

3rd Generation Irish Barrovian (Barrow-In-Furness, UK) of Donegal/Armagh ancestry- Irish & Proud!

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 2:33 pm

Sophist wrote:
I am Irish, English, Scottish, German, Swiss, French, and Danish. I am a typical American mutt. :D

I'm a mutt too! (But a Canadian mutt!) I am Irish, English, Scottish, German, Swiss, French (wow we are pretty similar there! lol), Acadian, Dutch, Mi'kmaq, and African-Canadian. I am probably mostly German and Acadian, but my Mom likes to refer to us as Irish even though we only have one or two Irish lines because 1) that is her favourite country in our list of ancestors' origins and 2) one of the Irish lines happened to give her her last name.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

I'm from Dublin too.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
3rd Generation Irish Barrovian (Barrow-In-Furness, UK) of Donegal/Armagh ancestry- Irish & Proud!

So you're British then?

Didn't mind Donegal when I visited, though it was a bit wet.

Never visited Dublin.

StylishBlossom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

Im Irish! :)

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

Living and working in Dublin.

Not Irish by ancesty, ach tá cupla focal níos mó ná cupla focal agam... Má bá mhaith leat beagán úsáid a bháint as Gaeilge, b'fhearr liomsa teachtaireacht a cuireadh domh.