Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:38 pm

I'm not on any sort of medication and never was. The doctor who diagnosed me (at age 3) didn't consider autism/asperger's a problem as long as I interacted more or less normally with other kids my age - which I did. He said kids shouldn't be put on personality-altering drugs without severe need. A three-year-old girl talking about everything in terms of geometrical shapes (I didn't recognize pictures in children's books and that sort of stuff) was just not big enough a problem, I guess.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 3:41 pm

I don't take medication either. Of course, I don't know if I need take medication for anything; I don't think my symptoms are severe enough for medication. I think if I did need any medication, I'd probably need to take something that gets my mind to focus a little more sometimes. Except I think that everyone with Asperger's has some focusing problems. They say that we could only focus on one thing at a time instead of multiple things at a time like neurotypicals can. For example, most aspies can't do certain kinds of work efficiently if there was a lot of background noise or distractions. But anyways, I don't take medication.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Novinha
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2007, 5:53 pm

The only meds I've ever taken, as far as I can remember, are some pills that were supposed to speed my metabolism. My metabolism could still use a good kick in the pants. My brain? Not so much.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:01 pm

only meds im on are birthcontrol.... aka, my charity work

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2007, 6:05 pm

After I was DXed with Aspergers in the 6th grade, I was put on Adderall XR. That stopped two years ago (I'm in the 11th grade now).

Personally, I'm glad I can make it on my own without meds. It's a small source of pride for me.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:39 pm

me, i am not on any meds for AS and never have been, i only take an anticonvulsant medication to control my mild epilepsy.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2007, 6:53 pm

Taimaat wrote:
When I was still living with my parents, I used to see various psychologists and psychiatrists and was on all kinds of meds (except anti-psychotics, my parents didn't want me to have permanent brain damage) I'm not on anything now. I'm sure there are a lot of people (mostly people who would like to take advantage of me and my husband) who wish I would be on something so I would be more complacent and just put up with things,) but I really never liked that fact that the pills influence my actions and I am not myself when I am on them.

Where did you read that antipsychotics cause brain damage? I'd like to know about that.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2007, 6:56 pm

Ticker wrote:
I'm assuming the question pertains to psych medications. I don't take any psych meds other than once took 3-4 weeks of Celexia because the dr swore it would stop PMS. I do take prescriptions for hypothyroid, arthritis, asthma and a heart valve defect. Oh and also stuff for Lyme disease, but hopefully I will be well soon and able to quit those meds.

Was your Dr. right? Does it help with PMS?

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2007, 6:57 pm

Novinha wrote:
The only meds I've ever taken, as far as I can remember, are some pills that were supposed to speed my metabolism. My metabolism could still use a good kick in the pants. My brain? Not so much.

What good is speeding your metabolism? Is that good for losing weight?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 7:30 pm

I dont take medication except when really sick, at least I dont have a perscrition.

I do however unfortunatly take alot of painkillers, even morphene pills when I can get my hands on them. I work in a place where I do alot of lifting and tweak my back from time to time, tho ill admit, i sometimes use such painkillers when I dont need them, its a bit of a habbit I fell into and I like the way I feel on them and usually take them prior to entering a social situation where I may be under a bit of stress, indeed, not the best choice(s) i have ever made, but nowdays I keep the consumption somewhat regulated.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:39 pm

I have taken an antidepressant in the past for depression, but haven't needed that in nearly 5 years. I just take birth control pills and black coffee every morning now.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

I drink 6 shots of espresso every morning and that's it for me. Quit smoking on 25 Jan 07 using the "Chantix" pills. (painless way to quit.) Only took them for about a month and a 1/2 cause I don't like to take ANYTHING unless I have to. (the side affects of "vivid dreams", was VERY cool through. Took me back to windowpane days)
When my oldest daughter was murdered I contemplated taking anti-depressants on the advice of EVERYONE!

I decided not to for a few reasons. First I don't like taking anything, second, I'd rather FEEL it ALL, the good the bad and the ugly rather than have it dulled down. and my reasoning for this was that commercial for "Christians children fund" that said 27,000 children died last night.
And I thought "No one gave those kids Moms anti-depressants, and those moms had to watch their babies die right in front of them, in their arms, and not be able to do anything to help them. And NOBODY said "here, take this to ease your sorrow Mother."
And stubborn and defiant as always I refused and bore my pain as the other Mothers of the world endured theirs.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2007, 9:22 pm

reika wrote:
I drink 6 shots of espresso every morning and that's it for me. Quit smoking on 25 Jan 07 using the "Chantix" pills. (painless way to quit.) Only took them for about a month and a 1/2 cause I don't like to take ANYTHING unless I have to. (the side affects of "vivid dreams", was VERY cool through. Took me back to windowpane days)

I have been hesitant to try Chantix. I tried Zyban and became very very paranoid with it. My stimming turned really weird and I developed the habit of jerking my head around constantly on the lookout for someone trying to hit me over the head.

I understand that one of the side effects of Chantix is sleeplessness and I know how I get when I have insomnia.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 9:31 pm

I wasn't on anything for my head, ever, in my life, until I was 19 and got the kind of depression where I NEEDED them (bigtime). :)

Last edited by Ana54 on 06 Nov 2007, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

becca423b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2007, 9:46 pm

Just birth control, and I think some antibiotics for ear infections when I was little.

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2007, 11:54 pm

I don't take any medicine or drugs. I don't like the effects of drugs or alcohol and I have a hard time swallowing pills. I don't react well to caffeine.

I try to take vitamins sometimes, but usually forget to take them.