Do your friends and family know you have Autisim or AS?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 4:24 pm

Only my immediate family knows, the rest do not because my mom and dad feared they would gossup and pitty us and me. I aggree with their decision and really dont talk about it too much.

I did open up to 1-2 really close friends, but thats it. Eather they did not beleive me and the conversation was dropped or they totally beleived me and ever since they have treated me differently, like I never understand what im talking about...

I really cant see how anybody knowing could ever be a benifit really.... at least for me.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2007, 5:06 pm

I've the greatest friends on the planet... well at least close. :)

My mother knows and my friends where I live now know. Other than that... no one else. they just think I'm "unique." hehe

The great thing is that I didn't tell my friends, they figured it out and asked. They acept it and work with it. They help me out with the areas I'm deficient in. They put up with my crazy ass questions like last nights... Me: I don't think L likes me. Friend: She doesn't know how to handle you Me: I didn't know I needed handling. Friend: You're much different that everyone else she hangs out with so she has to get herself in the right frame of mind.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 3:54 pm

My relatives don't know, they know me only as a black sheep of the family and famous family weirdo :twisted: But they wouldn't devote any thought to this - once I told one of my distant aunts, just for fun, as a joke, I'm a lesbian and I was disapointed I realized she wasn't shocked or suprised and didn't seem to be specially interested :x I mentioned few times about my suspicions concerning my putative AS in the circle of acquintances of mine but they also didn't react in any special way - I'm not very popular among them but they are jealous that I am smart and I'm not afraid to say exactly what I think (that I support Peter Singer's ethic in many of its aspects, for instance) so I suspect that even if they wouldn't like to be like me, they think (and are right in this point) that even if I have any "disorder" it gives me almost exclusively benefits, sparing me almost all troubles of it. One of those girls told me even, recently, that I have a charismatic, strong personality :D

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2007, 5:30 pm

never

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2007, 5:25 am

My immediate family know and so do a couple of friends. I do not like people knowing about it because whether they realise it or not they start acting differently around me.