Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2007, 1:15 am

It's because cars are seen as an indicator of social status.

Of course NT's love flash cars, it makes other NT's envious. :wink:

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 2:06 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Incidentally, I drive a Ford Focus, which is pretty much the same in the U.S. and Europe. And I *love* driving it.

Tim

One of my workmates doesn't like modern cars because they all drive like Ford Focuses. He loves classic cars. If I talk about MPG he says fuckoff

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2007, 10:52 pm

I think I am about to buy a new car. It's not a fancy car, though. Well, it seems fancy to me since my current car is pretty old and not any kind of classic or anything.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 10:59 pm

I never cared about what car everyone drove or what it looked like on the outside. I cared more about if it worked properly. I became thoroughly unimpressed when guys used to show off their flashy cars. The good news is though that not only did they have a flashy car but it ran well.

xx Dan Monster

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 11:10 pm

I have an Acura (V6, but I really don't know what that means, lol). Most people who find out about it ask me about all the features and all, and most even say they'd love to take it and "pimp it out" (whatever that means, lol) to do drag racing or something o.O

I like the little car, lol, and not because of how it looks or because others think it's so cool... I like it simply because it is mine, and plan to drive it until it won't go anymore, lol. My bf's family picked it out for me and got it for me when I moved to the area. I didn't really say one way or another whether or not I liked it, lol-of course I liked it though, but not because it's a "cool" car, because it was something they were getting for me as a means of transportation.

People are usually fairly shocked when they see it. They say "don't you KNOW what you could do with that thing???" I just respond "yep, I can load up my family and drive places in it." lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 11:46 pm

I love nice cars but would never buy a luxury/sports car unless I had serious disposable income, and even then I would try and get the cheapest one. I don't feel right about driving an $80,000 car when there are so many people in the world who don't even have food to eat.

Also, most of the people you see driving around in new BMW's, Mercedes, Cadillac Escalades, Hummers, etc. look like as*hole douchebags who don't care about anyone but themselves.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 1:48 pm

Space wrote:

Also, most of the people you see driving around in new BMW's, Mercedes, Cadillac Escalades, Hummers, etc. look like as*hole douchebags who don't care about anyone but themselves.

You forgot Rolls-Royce ! !!
The bloke that owns the shop where I take my sportscar has always been a mechanic, and always liked RR's. For years he owned a four door, then fixed it up and sold it for a profit. He then purchased a 'convertible', a Corniche. Shortly after buying it he was at a stoplight and someone yelled 'look at the @#$% in the Rolls!' He told this to a mate, who replied, 'don't feel bad, they've been yelling that at you for years, but with the hardtop you just never heard them ! !'

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2007, 4:50 pm

shaggydaddy wrote:
here is me pulling through the last turn before a long straightaway in an gravel stage of a legal rally. My co-driver had time to rest, since I didn't need any directionals for a while so she snapped an in-car pic.

and here is the aforementioned straight

here is my 9.3273 pass in the 1/8th mile track (yeah I know it's not impressive, but cars are meant for turning ;) straights are where V8s pass me, curves are where I make up the time.Image

What year wrx is that?

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 4:52 pm

You CAN get your dream car and not look like a complete A**hole if you don't set your standards waaaaay up there--- I mean, Ferraris are pretty, but I'll never be able to afford one. I must be realistic. Being an Olds freak, though, means I can love AND have my dream car. You can find some classic cars or even older sporty cars for reasonable prices, especially if they need a little work/paint still. And with a little paint and shine, it CAN look kinda fancy as well. Many of these older cars run quite well, too--- they stood the test of time.
The thing that totally perplexes me is when people buy a car that is way above their means and work 60+ hours a week to try to pay it off only to find out they can not do it and then lose the car anyway--- a problem that could have been avoided.
Ok, one more thing that perplexes me--- people who buy vehicles KNOWING they get terrible MPG, and then complain LOUDLY that they can not afford the gas to drive.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2007, 5:20 pm

skahthic wrote:
You CAN get your dream car and not look like a complete A**hole if you don't set your standards waaaaay up there--- I mean, Ferraris are pretty, but I'll never be able to afford one.

~ahem~

Check the prices of used Ferraris on Ebay sometime, starting with the older models. Some are quite reasonable. (Depending where you live, of course.) But a relatively nice 308 won't set you back all that much.

thewllr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2007, 12:08 am

What does NT actually stand for?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 1:20 pm

thewllr wrote:

Nobody knows, actually. We just like to throw around abbreviations like that ...

devster21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2007, 1:32 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
thewllr wrote:

Nobody knows, actually. We just like to throw around abbreviations like that ...

Sarscasm for the win. Seriously though, nuerotypical. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotypical

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 3:10 pm

Just couldn't go along with the joke, eh?

Just had to be honest, and helpful ....

leew2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2008, 6:07 pm

I don't currenty have a car but I may buy one in the next few years, if I do, it will most likley be one of these http://www.aptera.com/ One of the most advanced cars around, 230MPG. To me that is one fancy car. Also pricy at about £20,000 after import charges and tax.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 9:01 pm

I don't drive because of Aspie-related sensory stuff, but if I did I would like a car that is:

comfortable

gets good gas mileage, a hybrid is preferable

can run on ethanol

has a good safety rating

has a lot of gadgets and gizmoes, especially one of those electronic direction/map thingies