Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 7:18 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i only do that natural stuff. mostley herbs, my system is too sensitive for drugs

Natural drugs are still drugs and have side effects. :P I'd rather take a medication prescribed to be my a doctor I trust instead of some herb promoted by New Age charlatans based on "ancient wisdom."

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 7:25 pm

I take Paxil (Paroxetine, an SSRI) for my OCD and Social Anxiety Disorder and it works wonders. I stopped getting panic attacks a week after I started taking it and I have a lot less meltdowns.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 8:03 pm

dcforeman wrote:
Asperger is not something to be cured. The only reason for taking medication is for depression and anxiety.

Frankly I won't even take asprin

That would depend on level of aspergers,as not all aspies have it mildly enough to cope in other ways.
In previous residential home,am used to live with a lower functioning aspie,who was on normal release tegretol ,without it,her aspergers was very severe,she especially had problems with routine and change.
Other reasons an aspie needs meds for aspergers traits,can be sensory related,meltdown related,hyperactivity [not comorbid/adhd] related...

On original subject.
Meds won't cure stuff,they only numb and keep things stable,finding alternative non drug coping methods are needed long term unless problem is severe.
Exercise is good for when bad,go for walks in the park/some where quiet.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

30 Dec 2007, 8:13 pm

simon2wright wrote:
Lots of Aspies in the UK take a low dose of Fluoxetine with Risperidone.
But drugs not directly treat aspergers, but they treat the mental disorders that people with aspergers sometimes have such as: Anxiety, depression, ocd, psychosis and insomnia.
Simon

Intriguing. If I were comfortable enough with my doctor to ask for some, I would.

I just dose myself up on ye old alcohol.

Rosenametaken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 8:26 pm

johnpipe108 wrote:
Our medicinal and dietary requirements (you cannot consider them separately, they are symbiotic) are difficult. Modern western medicine still makes mistakes in diagnosis, as happened to my aspie son who was diagnosed ADHD, which is a very common mis-diagnosis. Getting the wrong diagnosis means the possibility of being prescribed meds, or herbs, that one may be naturally allergic to, and the long term side effects of any med, herb or alopathic, can range from disturbing to devastating.

Thank you for saying this..... western meds just don't work on me either. Instead of developing a tolerance over time, I go the other way - the reaction gets stronger and stronger. Can't even take children's cold medicine without being knocked out for hours.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 8:31 pm

I'm on Prozac, and temporarily Risperdal. I've gained a lot of weight on Risperdal, which sucks, and it doesn't really help with the anxiety and depression. Prozac barely works, we're thinking we need to up my dosage.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 10:52 pm

Get Opera Frosty.

Try Vyvanse I take it and it works much better than Adderall XR or Ritalin which did the OPPOSITE of what it is supposed to to for me.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 2:55 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
dcforeman wrote:
Asperger is not something to be cured. The only reason for taking medication is for depression and anxiety.

Frankly I won't even take asprin

That would depend on level of aspergers,as not all aspies have it mildly enough to cope in other ways.
In previous residential home,am used to live with a lower functioning aspie,who was on normal release tegretol ,without it,her aspergers was very severe,she especially had problems with routine and change.
Other reasons an aspie needs meds for aspergers traits,can be sensory related,meltdown related,hyperactivity [not comorbid/adhd] related...

On original subject.
Meds won't cure stuff,they only numb and keep things stable,finding alternative non drug coping methods are needed long term unless problem is severe.
Exercise is good for when bad,go for walks in the park/some where quiet.
yep since i got problem whit meltdowns and im a litle hyper i take ritalin

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 8:18 pm

batista90 wrote:

What are your personal side-effects?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm

There's no meds for AS! Why do people think there are meds for AS? There are meds for anxiety, depression and psychosis, which many NTs take and many Aspies also take. It has nothing to do with being Aspie, a lot of Aspies have just been thru hell and need to be on meds because of the anxiety and depression that resulted from going thru s**t. The same for NTs in any situation, any kind of person in any bad situations.

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2008, 3:38 am

i have never try Lithium

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:14 am

syzygyish wrote:
batista90 wrote:

What are your personal side-effects?
dizzynes at first hour or so after taking med,and i drink more water what i normally do :)

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:24 am

Side effects are not universal. Look at any label and you will see "it may cause" and then many have a huge long list, you can get combos of any or just one or none at all. It's a person by person thing. Each med is for a specific thing. Like Ana says there is nothing for AS, just some of the rough spots and even then it may have nothing to do with AS to begin with. We just happen to have a few more things that come a long for the ride. Again I will say this, don't do meds unless you have to, it is not always an easy thing to find the one that works or the combos of meds that work and there is no guarantee there is one that will work or for how long, if it does. What might work for one of us may not for another and even if it does, you still have to figure out a dose. I think it's an ok thing to be aware of what is out there, it's good to stay current and sometimes they like to push the new improved stuff on you when something tried and true and cheap works as well if not better. Some of them out there are in the med company's back pocket, be careful. Now the other side is, they can bring a better quality of life is there is something involved that can be treated with drugs.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:49 am

postpaleo wrote:
Side effects are not universal.

That's why i said personal
postpaleo wrote:
Look at any label and you will see "it may cause" and then many have a huge long list, you can get combos of any or just one or none at all. It's a person by person thing. Each med is for a specific thing. Like Ana says there is nothing for AS, just some of the rough spots and even then it may have nothing to do with AS to begin with. We just happen to have a few more things that come a long for the ride. Again I will say this, don't do meds unless you have to, it is not always an easy thing to find the one that works or the combos of meds that work and there is no guarantee there is one that will work or for how long, if it does. What might work for one of us may not for another and even if it does, you still have to figure out a dose. I think it's an ok thing to be aware of what is out there, it's good to stay current and sometimes they like to push the new improved stuff on you when something tried and true and cheap works as well if not better. Some of them out there are in the med company's back pocket, be careful.

syzygyish wrote:

Frosty,I know exactly what you are going thru:Hell!
Don't try drugs until you have explored every other posible therapy!

This is what i am doing, & it does work for me:
For insomnia;
I read that a lot of Autistics have really low pH - under 7 is bad. Mine was 5.4
Buy a roll of Litmus paper,pee on a little bit, and if it is under 7,
take a level teaspoon of aluminium free Baking Soda,
a tablet of calcium carbonate &
a teaspoon of potassium bi-carbonate.
They are all totally safe 'systemic alkalynisers'.
I was not expecting the insomnia to go away,but it did,as a side-effect

For anxiety; If you are not claustrophobic,
get someone to roll you up in an air-mattress & then 2 meters of carpet,
gradually inflate the air-mattress with a decent air-compressor & relax for an hour.
I found I could just keep increasing the pressure indefinitely.
This is a variation on Temple Grandin's Hug Machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine
except it doesn't cost $5000.00
We have tried this on a truly autistic guy & it was amazing to watch him relax,
probably for the first time in his life!
It is a reducing therapy,so you will get to the point where you hardly need to use it.

For Mind-Racing,if you have the discipline, Learn to meditate;it's amazing!
First i lie on a rug on the floor next to a wall,put my feet up the wall, put an eye-bag on my eyes,like this:
http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/1140
and relax for twenty minutes. Then i do a proper Meditation for 40 minutes.
Sit still,however you feel comfortable and do this:
http://www.shfyoga.com/MattsYogaWebPage ... utras.html
You see, your body is in a constant process called Homeostasis;
it is adjusting moment to moment to achieve equilibrium in all it's systems,
Blood pressure,heart rate,respiration rate etc.
When you sit still, your body stops sending electrical messages through your muscles and your Central Nervous System gets a huge rest.
The result is a calm peace that no drugs can match.
The trick is to sit still - don't squirm, fidget or scratch - that is activating the CNS again.
And give it time, even if you can't stop thinking, that's not the point.
The body will relax,even if the mind can't.
It's fighting back against perceived inappropriate dis-use!
It has to be trained to not think ocasionally, for it's own good, in spite of itself.
It took me a dozen separate attempts before my mind reached a 'still point'
One of the high points in my life.

Best Wishes & Good Luck in all your endeavours.

Did Anyaspy Read This :?:

It was on the second page:does that mean it's irrelevant?

postpaleo wrote:
Now the other side is, they can bring a better quality of life is there is something involved that can be treated with drugs.

Ana54 wrote:
There's no meds for AS! Why do people think there are meds for AS? There are meds for anxiety, depression and psychosis, which many NTs take and many Aspies also take. It has nothing to do with being Aspie

ditto
so true

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 6:57 am

Have you tried 5 Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)? It can be found in health food stores. I started taking it at the beginning of last fall and absolutely love how well it works! It takes about 6-7 weeks before noticeable changes occur, but it's worth the wait. Nothing else I've tried over the years helped me with my insomnia problem. 5-HTP keeps me asleep and does so without any groggy feeling. Another benefit from this supplement is its ability to increase serotonin levels. This is my first winter that isn't having the effect of depressing me like it usually did due to less daylight.