Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 9:49 pm

Well, I don't even know if it's officailly Fall yet, but I'm depressed. I'm interested in St. John's Wart though, how much does it cost and how often would I have to take it?

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 2:57 am

you MUST check with your doctor if you are taking any other medications, as SJW may affect the way they work.

you can take between 1000-3000ug of hypericin (which is the active ingredient) a day. you shouldn't take it for extended periods of time, though, as it can then rebound and start causing anxiety symptoms - i think it's best not to take it for more than 3 months, although i wouldn't swear it's that long (i'll check later today, if i can). it can also cause increased photosensitivity, so be careful about exposing skin to sunlight (i know - like there'd be a problem if there were any sunlight :roll:).

as for cost - well, how long is a piece of string? hunt round on the internet, and make sure you get it from somewhere reputable.

by the way - the above is advice only - i'm not a qualified herbalist, so do check - plenty of stuff on the internet.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 10:58 am

vetivert wrote:
you MUST check with your doctor if you are taking any other medications, as SJW may affect the way they work.

Oh great, another issue I can't deal with until I can get my mom to take the family to a shrink.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 1:28 pm

If you are taking other medications your pharmisist can help you with drug interactions you don't have to wait for the shrink. If you are on nothing now you can take SJW just follow the recommened dosages and talk to the pharmisist if you have questions.

Y

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 7:05 pm

vetivert wrote:
by the way - the above is advice only - i'm not a qualified herbalist, so do check - plenty of stuff on the internet.

Yeah, she's not a qualified herbalist...

She's a WITCHDOCTOR! :lol: Vivi, can't you just turn him into a newt instead? I'm sure he would be MUCH happier! :lol:

(As always, no offense intended whatsoever... the kitten LOVES her little green-haired witch! *rubs up against Vivi and purrrrrrrrrrrrrrs)