Post an Analogy relating Autism/Aspergers

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 2:28 pm

I am a chiral compound!! !! In every respect.

Helix spirals the other way.

Further, I am behind a one-way mirror where I can observe flawlessly yet others cannot see inside.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 4:23 pm

It's like being a Routemaster in the world of flowered VW Vans. It's wonderful! :queen:

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 5:41 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Here's a particualry bad one, but I thought I'd post it here anyway:

It's like having so much information at the same time that needs to be sorted out. It's overwhelming. It's extremely tiring, and NTs just don't get it because for them, it's all sorted out already.

I really agree with this one and don't think it's bad at all.

My experience is that it's like drinking from a fire hose where everyone else seems to be sipping at the fountain. SO much information comes from everywhere, and somehow they are just oblivious to it all. I think some of the information is already sorted out for the NTs (through no effort on their part) but alot of it they don't even know exists.

That's why life is exhausting.

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 6:17 pm

paulsinnerchild wrote:
It is like having a very expensive top of the line PC. With a huge harddrive and a superfast CPU amazing video card and whatnot, but you are stuck with the RAM of the most basic student systems.

My RAM is in great condition. It is more like having a huge hard drive, a superfast CPU, lots of fast RAM w/ error checking, but having an old 256 color monitor that doesn't always work and having a keyboard w/ broken and missing keys, so you get traded in for the slower model computer w/ the cool new video card, HD display, noisy and annoying fans that never shut up, and a processor w/ some faulty logic instructions!

LVBen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 6:19 pm

SilverProteus wrote:

It's like having so much information at the same time that needs to be sorted out. It's overwhelming. It's extremely tiring, and NTs just don't get it because for them, it's all sorted out already.

Yeah, it's kind of like trying to compress all of the data received over a fiber optics line and then transferring via telegraph.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2008, 8:10 pm

It's like being dropped into a country where the language is just enough similar to your language that you can function after a fashion, but because you understand some of it, you are expected to know that culture's unwritten rules even though no one has ever bothered to let you know what they are. And if you reveal by word or behavior that you do not know what those rules are and that you have a problem with the language you are fair game for abuse. After all, you are supposed to know, what is wrong with you? We don't need to tell you. You should just know!

It's like having a vision problem as a kid, one that is so disgraceful we don't ever talk about it, but we all muddle along the best we can. And then when you become an adult your vision problem is cured and you don't need to wear glasses any more, you can see perfectly well, what is wrong with you. You don't have a problem any more so why are you acting like you have a problem? No body else is having problems seeing so why are you the only one? All that nonsense was in the past, get over it.

It's like a computer. And we all know how stupid computers are . . . get one little thing wrong and the machine becomes paralyzed . . .

I'll let you know if I ever figure out the good things to say about it.

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2008, 7:01 pm

LabPet wrote:
Different frequency. Like I'm an AM radio with a wavelength that does correspond to FM Neurotypicals. Signals do not coincide. Signal to noise ratio is....wrong. I sense what they cannot and they cannot detect.

I miss their socio/verbal interactions in this way too (frequency disconnect).

I love this one....

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2008, 9:05 am

It's like driving a car and finding the steering wheel has come off in your hand and the brakes have failed. You're ok as long as the road stays straight and traffic free.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 9:08 am

It's like your brain runs Linux and everybody else's brain runs windows, and therefore our programs are incompatible...

zee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 9:11 am

It's like being Peter Pan--you can fly whereas NTs must remain connected to the ground. You can see things from above, and from any different angle, although the abrupt changes in perspective can make you feel dizzy.
You also have a childish personality, and live in a sort of Neverland.

The little mermaid is another example--you want to be part of the human race, but you're not.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 9:38 am

xyzyxx wrote:
It's like my brain speaks a different language. When someone says something to me I have to translate it to my language, think of a response, translate that response back to their language. That's why it takes so long for me to respond.
Stuff often gets "lost in translation" too.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 1:04 pm

It's like using TCP/IP when everyone else is stuck on NetBEUI. Or like being behind a mask covered with LED, which shows weird things to others... Or like being a Linux in a network full of Windows 3.1 systems.

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2008, 1:26 pm

Okay, DJ, put a record on the turntable, and put the needle on the record. Spin the record round really, really slowly. You just get a noise. Spin it round just fast enough and you might be able to guess what song it is - "Yes, it's So-and-So's greatest hit."

But you couldn't dance to it. At that slow speed - schlurrrp, schlurrrp, schlurrrp - there's no emotional content, no entertainment value. You know what the song is, but that's all.

If you've got Autism, your brain reads human behaviour so slowly that there's no emotional content, no entertainment value. We might know what's going on for you, but we can't dance to it.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2008, 4:27 pm

not meant to be religious at all...... like a rabbi trying to lead temple while reading out of a bible.....

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 4:35 pm

earthmom wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

I really agree with this one and don't think it's bad at all.

My experience is that it's like drinking from a fire hose where everyone else seems to be sipping at the fountain. SO much information comes from everywhere, and somehow they are just oblivious to it all. I think some of the information is already sorted out for the NTs (through no effort on their part) but alot of it they don't even know exists.

That's why life is exhausting.

Absolutely

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 4:47 pm

One analogy my friend came up with was this. I'm not sure if I fully agree with it, but it sure describes overload great.

It's like most people have an orderly system of roads, and the speed limit the cars go determines how fast they can think and stuff, and that's about the end of it. And then autistic people could have huge highway, like the Autobahn, with no speed limit at all, but every single intersection... turns into a one-lane dirt road.