Asperger's Syndrome May Be the Root of Society's Ills

Page 3 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2005, 11:37 pm

Morlock wrote:
THIS ARTICAL FILLS ME WITH A TERRIBLE RAGE OF ANGER!!1!1!

Seriously, this is BS. The traits of the character types mentioned are voluntary, or inherent in human nature. Greed can drive a man for profit as my perseveration of the month drives me for whatever it is I'm collecting. Oh, and I don't think NeantHuman really believes this, he was just a bit indiscreet in showing it. And he needs to cite his sources.

There's only been one AS politician I know of, anyways...

Is it a sure thing Thomas Jefferson had Asperger's syndrome? I have my doubts, but I have not thoroughly reviewed the case for and against it.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2005, 9:21 am

This truly is a worthless rant (the article, I mean). Sure, I have problems with expressing empathy sometimes, or some such thing, but that doesn't mean I don't want to connect. (I'm a female, BTW)

Of course, they're probably right, I'm probably just some chauvinist pig (cough, sarcasm, cough).

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 3:26 pm

I think there are feminists and there are FEMinists.

The first feminists are the Vivi variety :wink: . They campaign on women's rights around the world, especially in the Third World, which is still very male dominated. They promote gender equality for all women.

The second FEMinists are the Maggie Thatcher/b***h variety. They are very prejudiced and have a grudge against all men. On the whole, they don't care about other women, and just want to advance their own career, and they see feminism as a tool to achieving this. On the whole they encourage gender inequality by lecturing the inferiorities of men.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 3:40 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Morlock wrote:
There's only been one AS politician I know of, anyways...

Is it a sure thing Thomas Jefferson had Asperger's syndrome? I have my doubts, but I have not thoroughly reviewed the case for and against it.

I recommend reading Diagnosing Jefferson by Norm Ledgin (link). Obviously it can't be a sure thing because AS wasn't discovered then and Thomas Jefferson isn't alive now. This book takes each piece of the diagnostic criteria and applies it to Jefferson's life and makes it clear that he probably had AS. It is also a really good read.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 3:47 pm

RobertN wrote:
The first feminists are the Vivi variety :wink: . They campaign on women's rights around the world, especially in the Third World, which is still very male dominated. They promote gender equality for all women.

lol. AND equality for all men, don't forget - all those isms, again...

Quote:
The second FEMinists are the Maggie Thatcher/b**** variety.

thatcher was most certainly not a feminist.

i agree with the rest of your post, though.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 7:51 pm

thatrsdude wrote:
Thanks. You've confirmed to me that people with AS don't deserve to live, and that all that bullying at school and everything else was totally justified, and that I should kill myself right away. Good job.

Well, it depends. If you flailed your arms around and or spontaneously burst into song in school, or did anything else that made you look like a total - (I'd rather not go into detail), you deserved the bullying you got at school. If not, it was probably something you said without thinking.
And whether you should kill yourself- well, that all depends on what you most value in life. And whether it's attainable right now (or will be in the future.)

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 7:57 pm

thatrsdude wrote:
I think Simon Baron Cohens comments about it being an extreme of the male brain is a load of crap. People with AS think completely differently, his logic is only comparing AS brains to the way NT's think. You're comparing apples and oranges.

eamonn wrote:
Thatrsdude. NeantHumain is a common troll. Id take anything he posts with a grain of salt.

My brain is very masculine in some ways and very feminine in others. I enjoy going tto shopping malls and care about my appearance to the point of obsession (stereotypical female behaviour), but I am also an adventure-seeking masochist who likes running long distances in a short amount of time and getting himself scraped (stereotypical male behaviour).

As for NeantHumain: I don't think he's a troll. His posts are actually very intelligent and informative. Or at least -I- think they are.

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 8:01 pm

I heard that psychopaths make excellent salesmen, lawyers, politicians and business leaders. Also I suspect a lot of psychopaths are abusers of their family members. They are the extreme opposite of autistic people, plus they have virtually no empathy for other people.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 8:20 pm

I think he is a sophisticated troll that makes some good points but a troll nonetheless. Im a professional troll-spotter, i can smell them a mile off.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2005, 10:10 pm

eamonn wrote:
I think he is a sophisticated troll that makes some good points but a troll nonetheless. Im a professional troll-spotter, i can smell them a mile off.

And you can't even tell that you're trolling?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 10:21 pm

Quit trolling again Morlock.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 10:29 pm

Morlock wrote:
And you can't even tell that you're trolling?

Crikey! There's another one. Didnt even have to look for the blighter. Im on a roll today chaps. I wonder how many more il spot before the day's out old beans? Tallyho!

Last edited by eamonn on 13 Sep 2005, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 10:46 pm

Easy... Easy... People, lets not fight here.

<--- makes a "calm down" motion w/ right hand.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 11:00 pm

eamonn wrote:

I have mentioned on the thread about trolling that I have trolled before. I won't deny it; in fact, sometimes I do enjoy it. When I do troll, though, it's not something juvenile like, "yuo guys suck!! !! !! !! !!1 lol discuss." That I have trolled before, further, does not mean everything I do on the Internet is trolling. I can also be half joking and half serious at the same time.

Now, since you spotted the troll so well, I'll admit to my dirty little secret: You're right! I fabricated this whole article and organization whole cloth. The Female Liberation Front is a stereotypically extremist feminist organization with a patently anti-male agenda, playing loose with scientific theories to support their worldview. In this case, I used Simon Baron-Cohen's systemizing (male) brain theory as the base. I then took the stereotypical bad guy (the psychopath) and actually described him instead.

My hope with this satire was to raise the point of popular misrepresentations of autism and how those stereotypes could hinder us socially. Of course, this applies to all stereotypes and not just those that may label us.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 11:11 pm

My issue isnt to flame you for trolling just that twice people here posted that i am wrong about it and that i take issue with. Some of you're better threads that are made up correct do have points to them and leave good opportunity for debate but why people insist on believing stuff that obviously isnt true makes me think there are a lot of mugs in the world.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2005, 11:19 pm

eamonn wrote:
but why people insist on believing stuff that obviously isnt true makes me think there are a lot of mugs in the world.

How can they know for sure? There are plenty of people who do write such drivel and seriously believe what they are saying. There are plenty of people out there who would do something not so different from this with autism. There's a half-serious saying some women have used, apparently, "All men are autistic," that comes from Prof. Baron-Cohen's research. It wouldn't take much to extend this casual hyperbole into serious (and seriously misguided) rhetoric.