New Video: Alex Plank speaks at Asperger lecture series

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 8:37 pm

Great speech Alex! One problem; get rid of those hideous yellow tennis shoes!

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Feb 2008, 10:35 am

Odin wrote:
Great speech Alex! One problem; get rid of those hideous yellow tennis shoes!

hahaha. they're awesome shoes. most people agree. 8)

Comet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 10:56 am

preludeman wrote:
Alex I am glad that you are our spokes person. 8) :D
8O

DLJunkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2008, 9:36 pm

As a parent - I learned so much from your talk! I did not even know that there was high anxiety over falling behind in home work & school.
You & your fantastic site & forum are giving me tons of hope and help! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Cheers!

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2008, 6:31 am

Yea cool video alex...

haha should I "critique" it ? lol....

yea Im an architecture student :P

well funny you post this now..Because Im very much in the thinking stage of doing lectures at my university / others / high schools...

:D guess I can public speak too eh :D kool eh...

I think Im just going to plunge in and do it.. I usually would ask for professional opinions doctors etc.. but would be fresh and raw if i did it myself AND reckon it needs to be like that lol.. their level or whatever...

any tips ?

kbergren21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2008, 6:44 pm

haha I enjoyed the video and the high lights. Alex, man you need to slow down and relax a little when speaking publicly.

mariag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2008, 8:14 pm

Alex,
I liked your video a lot!, it was a great entertaining speech which is not easy to do whether NT or Aspie, but I find some aspies like you, or my sister and my cousin aswell share that humorous way of explaining things without you doing it on purpose but the result is you make ppl laugh!
Like for instance in your video at 4:00, it was like a joke what you were saying so everyone laughed but you said it so serious that it makes it even more funny..then, when you saw the audience reaction, only then you smiled...4:03..04. (I´m sure you didnt even know you said a funny thing but you do in such a natural and spontanous way that makes it even more funny!).

So congrats Alex for the speech I will be checking your gf´s video later i haven´t had a chance yet.

PS. NewportBeachDude, totally agree with what you said.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2008, 12:29 am

I think you both did a wonderful job, I would have been terrified interacting with so many people at once, and dealing with all the distractions. And Katie's artwork is great.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2008, 10:25 am

i can't get any picture, ever. dammit!

DLJunkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

mazom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2008, 7:35 am

Please spread the word and MB someone could help this Aspie Teen
GetNateHome. com
Maria

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2008, 1:20 am

That was really interesting. Especially the part where your girlfriend talked about moving away from home for college and her parents coming with her. I can totally relate with that plus relate to feeling bad about needing that support system. I still live at home partway through college and I don't know what I'll do when I graduate in another couple years and go to grad school (I'd hate to think my mom would have to follow me wherever I go)

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2008, 1:07 am

gwenevyn wrote:
-Everything said-

Amen! I'm told often that I'm not an aspie and that people would never guess that I was an aspie. I still know what I lack in--and those problems used to be much worse as I was a child. Great work, Alex! Thanks for fighting for us all!

anathemaviolet

16 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm

Alex, I truly enjoyed hearing you and your girlfriend speak, not only for the speeches' own sake but also because I'm preparing to speak in front of a parents of autistic children support group that my grad school professor runs. I'm doing my master's in marriage and family therapy, and she has an autistic son. She finds me "so cool!" and asked that I do this.

My talk on Mar 25 is called:

"Finding Peace in Feeling Different: My Asperger Story"

Wish me luck! I'm definitely bringing some notes in case I get distracted by the crowd, but I'm generally quite good at public speaking and don't get nervous (unlike in unfamiliar social situations).

I hope you make more speeches and post them on this forum. I'm planning on audio recording mine, so perhaps I will post it.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm

I thought Alex was quite Aspie, his voice inflections, the body language, and the hand gestures came across as such. I haven't met very many Aspies or observed them, so I'm interested in seeing how others behave in different situations.

Wow, Katie reminded me a lot of me in college! (I went to art school too) Her choice of clothing and the paintbrushes in her hair, the way she talked, and the hand gesturing, that's very familiar. :D

You guys were great at talking to a group, you both seem happy and confident. I'm glad you started this website, Alex. Thanks very much!

anathemaviolet

09 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

Tetraquartz,

I just noticed that Katie does hand gestures in the same way I do (pretty much like normal people, despite other Aspie traits). I do it more when I'm anxious than any other time. I wonder if it's correct to assume that gesturing while speaking is less common in guy Aspies than girl ones. Isn't that how the general population is too?