Thimerosal and Autism - A Scientific Perspective

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:44 am

TLPG wrote:
If a person is dangerous what else do you do?

It's your beliefs that are dangerous.

LeKiwi wrote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting thimerosal is the ONLY cause of autism

TLPG wrote:
The mercury militia are. They hang to the creation of thiomersal as the creation day of Autism like grim death.

We're not talking about the "mercury militia," we're talking about zendell, one of our members.

- Emerson

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:42 am

MrMark wrote:
TLPG wrote:

HUH???????

I'm sorry, Mark, but not only do I not agree with that, I find that accusation very offensive. But I won't demand that you withdraw it - instead I'll ask exactly why you have come to that inaccurate conclusion.

LeKiwi wrote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting thimerosal is the ONLY cause of autism

TLPG wrote:
The mercury militia are. They hang to the creation of thiomersal as the creation day of Autism like grim death.

We're not talking about the "mercury militia," we're talking about zendell, one of our members.[/quote]

Well I wasn't when I made that remark. Le Kiwi made the comment as though no one thought along those lines, and I was simply making the point that it wasn't true.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:06 am

TLPG wrote:
MrMark wrote:
TLPG wrote:

HUH???????

I'm sorry, Mark, but not only do I not agree with that, I find that accusation very offensive. But I won't demand that you withdraw it - instead I'll ask exactly why you have come to that inaccurate conclusion.

You believe that Zendell is dangerous.

- Emerson

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 2:08 pm

Apparently I'm dangerous too, and a threat to public health, and everyone should be getting furious about me. He's now taken to flaming me in other threads non-related to potential causes of autism or vaccinations.

At least I'm not alone. :roll:

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 2:19 pm

zendell wrote:
I think autism will likely be separated into different labels once some of the causes are known and proven. Some studies already differentiate between infantile autism (autism from birth) and regressive autism (no developmental delays at all, followed by a sudden regression around 18 months of age). The increase in autism prevalence is mostly the regressive type. Regressive autism was uncommon just a few decades ago but increased in the 1990s and some studies estimate it now makes up 60% of new autism diagnoses.

Zendell, that differentiation already existed in the 1970s. "Regression" in that sense (which does not have to be accompanied by being "normal" beforehand, and in many cases is not) was seen as part of childhood schizophrenia, as opposed to Kanner's syndrome autism. At least according to Frances Tustin. The difference was seen, but people were just thrown into different speculative categories back then, hence less people being diagnosed with autism at the time.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 3:41 pm

MrMark wrote:
TLPG wrote:
MrMark wrote:
TLPG wrote:

HUH???????

You believe that Zendell is dangerous.

Well? He is. His beliefs are close enough to that of those fools who seek to "cure" us. Just how does that belief make me dangerous?

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 4:00 pm

It is dangerous because you wanted his opinion to be censured and for him to be muted. I do not believe that it is dangerous to express any idea or opinion, how can information be dangerous? Even if it is untrue it will merely provide insight into another subject and information about a different thing. So really i don't think you or your ideas are dangerous as long as you do not take steps to get someone banned or censured.

Thanks to whoever linked that article, it was interesting.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:30 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Apparently I'm dangerous too, and a threat to public health, and everyone should be getting furious about me. He's now taken to flaming me in other threads non-related to potential causes of autism or vaccinations.

At least I'm not alone. :roll:

If you'll PM me with links to those pages, I'll take appropriate action.

- Emerson

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

zendell wrote:
ote: I'm not a member of a mercury militia. I just thought it was funny after I read the tobacco stuff because it's similar to how some people so quickly dismiss thimerosal as a cause of autism symptoms in anyone based on poor quality studies conducted by the vaccine manufacturers and the CDC who recommends thimerosal vaccines. It was funny when I read, "if smoke in the lungs caused cancer, we'd all have it" because it's no different than stating "if thimerosal causes autism, then everyone would be autistic." and using it to dismiss a connection. There are so many similarities that I couldn't resist posting.

For one thing, the evidence definitely points away from vaccinations causing autism. However, with my interest in immunology and oxidation, I do feel there is the possibility that either the vaccine itself or the heavy metal preservatives and amplifiers used in such vaccines may have an effect. I don't discount this and find the whole thing fascinating.

However, as is suggested by postmortem dissection, the neuroanatomy of autism suggests its roots within the first few weeks of prenatal life, making the window very small. At the same time, the highly genetic quality to most ASCs is undeniable.

What is happening imho? Well, if I were to propose some sort of hypothesis, given neuroanatomical and scanning research, given immunological and oxidative research, given the parental reports, given the genetics research on important haplotypes related to autism located on the MHC, I would say one of a few things might be happening:

1) there is a portion to autism which is highly genetic and will occur regardless of most abnormal environmental affects, that which, especially, sets the template for the basic brain anatomy

2) autistics, as a group, might be more susceptible and therefore more vulnerable to certain environmental effects (various antigens, particular toxins, diet, autoimmunity, etc.), thus exacerbating their condition, making it more severe than it would have been without these effects. This may include vaccinations, but can also include a host of other environmental agents. Whatever the case, even if vaccinations might have a negative effect on some individuals, it is clear that it is not relegated to thimerosal or Rubella alone, but rather there are a host of potential environmental agents which could reap similar effects, toxins and infections just a few who fit that bill. My reasoning here being that it's not likely, despite the increased diagnosis rates, that occurrence rates have risen considerably. Therefore, we may have a broad susceptibility to environmental agents which are commonly found in our environments and therefore nearly impossible to avoid.

I believe, however, that many autistics, because of the implications of this, get very provoked and exhibit defensiveness when vaccinations are even mentioned because of all this mess with parents and Autism Speaks, CAN, etc. It's a human rights fight getting intermixed with the science.

Do I think the parents are crazy for their anecdotal reports? No. Do I think the level of their desperation has introduced a bias into their judgment? Yes.

And the same could be said of auties who just DON'T WANT there to be ANYTHING to do with vaccinations. Honestly, I don't think we'd have as much of a problem with it if it were for the pro-cure groups who have taken the idea as their flying banner.

But we need to separate the people from the science. Before I began reading about the science of immunology and oxidative stress in autism, "vaccine" was a buzz word for me too and sent me into an immediate rage.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 5:18 am

silentchaos wrote:
It is dangerous because you wanted his opinion to be censured and for him to be muted. I do not believe that it is dangerous to express any idea or opinion, how can information be dangerous? Even if it is untrue it will merely provide insight into another subject and information about a different thing. So really i don't think you or your ideas are dangerous as long as you do not take steps to get someone banned or censured.

False information that harms understanding of a condition and causes that understanding to be delayed if not stopped completely should be censored. There are too many people weakened by attacks by the NT world on us, and they fall prey to this and end up wanting a cure. This fires me up something chronic because it's vilification and I for one won't stand for it. It's why I argue with such people - to put over the fact that their view is causing severe distress (and it could be argued that such a line - and I'm speaking generally and not specifically of this forum - could cause suicide) and also anger. That is certainly true for me. Now maybe I'm running a bit close to the proverbial line with LeKiwi on the other thread (it's just one thread, not several as far as I remember), but whenever I see someone dissing vaccines like that, my back goes up and I see red. Scarlett in fact - because I understand the importance of vaccines and what they do, and what they prevent. I never want to see a child - any child - placed in any sort of danger, and yet by not vaccinating that is exactly what a parent is doing. Any threat from vaccines is less than it is not vaccinating, and that risk eminates not from the vaccines themselves but how they are used by doctors. A bad workman always blames his tools - vaccines are tools. Use them correctly, and there's no problem.

I don't like it when people take on the attitude of "censor nothing". That's why we now have a War on Terrorism, and I'm certain the lack of censorship is what has caused trouble of a similar nature way back in our history. We need it in general, because there are people who simply do not deserve a voice. John Best Junior is a great example of this.

Now - as stated - if the mods here choose not to act against Zendell or LeKiwi, there is nothing I can do about it. I might not agree with that decision, but I have to take it - agree to disagree, and try to cope as best I can. Of course it would help if both of them would respect the anger and angst they are causing - not just to me but to others who have argued with them as well (Beau and Lau for example).

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 8:04 am

TLPG wrote:
False information that harms understanding of a condition and causes that understanding to be delayed if not stopped completely should be censored.

You do not have a monopoly on truth. The only people who are going to be censored here are those that think that some should be censored.

If you do not stop with your protests about the content of other member's posts, you will censored completely.

alex wrote:
===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

- Emerson

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 5:33 pm

MrMark wrote:
TLPG wrote:
False information that harms understanding of a condition and causes that understanding to be delayed if not stopped completely should be censored.

You do not have a monopoly on truth. The only people who are going to be censored here are those that think that some should be censored.

If you do not stop with your protests about the content of other member's posts, you will censored completely.

alex wrote:
===================
WrongPlanet Rules
===================

Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

I deny that I am purposely causing conflict. The conflict is being started (in my opinion) by Zendell in this case. Whether or not Zendell is doing it on purpose I couldn't say, but I stand by the point you quoted above - as a general guide for censorship.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 6:39 pm

MrMark wrote:

- Emerson

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 12:50 am

TLPG wrote:
Of course it would help if both of them [Zendell and LeKiwi] would respect the anger and angst they are causing - not just to me but to others who have argued with them as well (Beau and Lau for example).

I have been noticing that some of my posts anger some people here which is why I've been trying to avoid posting about certain sensitive topics. A bunch of stuff I wrote really wasn't worth posting. When only one viewpoint is presented, I will often mention the other side even if I don't agree with it. Thimerosal may be disproven as a cause of autism after autism rates stay the same over the next few years so it probably wasn't worth mentioning the evidence that supports a connection. I've been a little obsessed with corporate and government corruption (or conspiracy theories) lately and thimerosal was a part of it.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 5:51 am

I covered this in detail on another thread, Zendell, but in brief - by doing what you are doing, you are causing confusion. Confusion is an Aspie's worst enemy, and that's why you are angering people. You might think you're trying to help (that's an Aspie trait as well) but in reality you aren't.

Sometimes the other side of the argument needs to stay out of it.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:18 am

TLPG wrote:
I covered this in detail on another thread, Zendell, but in brief - by doing what you are doing, you are causing confusion. Confusion is an Aspie's worst enemy, and that's why you are angering people. You might think you're trying to help (that's an Aspie trait as well) but in reality you aren't.

Sometimes the other side of the argument needs to stay out of it.

This is the last warning you will receive. You will not discuss other members and you will not suggest that anyone "needs to stay out of it."

- Emerson